General Discussion, Saturday, February 16, 2019

There is a road where once we walked,
Quiet and still on a summer day.
Oh, the magic of being alone with you,
Close as the wild rose by the way.

Silent, for we never needed words,
Clasping hands, we walked content.
God gave us the gift of that golden hour.
Time flew on wings and it soon was spent.

107 Responses to General Discussion, Saturday, February 16, 2019

1. lovely says:

10 beautiful things.

1) The “Everybody Hurts” video of President Trump’s SOTU Address with the glum democrats and the tense Romney has been viewed almost 3 million times.

Twitter has now censored the video. That is right @Jack has censored the President of the United States.

Wait as of 11:06 Central time the video with sound is back.

Sheer chaos in the democratic camp!

2) “Case Update: Due to new evidence as a result of today’s interrogations, the individuals questioned by police in the Empire case have now been released without charging and detectives have additional investigative work to complete,”__ police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said in a tweet posted at 9:22 p.m. Friday.

Oh Jussie.

3) High rise construction workers.

4) Baby showers. The promise and hope of a new little person taking their first breath.

5) Microbes left behind from the handprint of an 8 year old boy after playing outside.__Photo/Tasha Sturm/Cabrillo College

6) Here we go ABC Channel 7 Chicago headline;

Sources: Police investigating whether Jussie Smollett staged attack with help of others, allegedly being written off ‘Empire’

7) A little too late to delete your tweet.

I’m so happy that some people are just plain dumb.

8) ”Make the Amazon headquarters super long and narrow and put it on the southern border. Make it two-three stories tall to be safe. __Matt’s Idea Shop

9) Airplanes, single family dwellings, people who work, a good steak, automobiles, SUV’s, and minimum wage jobs.

10) Playing King of the Hill.

• Lucille says:

Love the mountain goat, lovely!

#7 Who is Jeffrey W. Bruce and did he write?

• lovely says:

I don’t know who Jeffrey W Bruce is other than he is someone who Lin Wood called out on Twitter and Bruce thought his best defense was not only to delete his tweet but apparently his entire Twitter account.

That must have been some tweet.

The link in Wood’s tweet leads to a closed or suspended account.

I Binged Jeffrey W Bruce.

This was the only Twitter account that popped up.

This is the result of clicking on that the Twitter ink I found on Bing.

I can’t guarantee that this is the same Jeffrey W Bruce, but I would bet a dollar to rat’s butt that they are one and the same person.

It looks to me from Linn’s tweet that a twerp mouthed off about the Covington case and made himself look like a fool by defending defamation under the First Amendment and Linn made him look the dope that he is so the moron just slithered away.

Here is another tweet where Linn takes Bruce to the woodshed.

Putting the pieces together that is the best that I can come up with. So what I find so ticklish is Linn’s bold assertiveness and Bruce’s cowardly retreat.

“If you want to kick the tiger in his ass you’d better have a plan for dealing with his teeth.”__Tom Clancy

• Menagerie says:

Thanks for continuing the awesomeness lovely. It’s a great way to start the day. Very uplifting and hope filled.

• lovely says:

Thanks Menagerie 🙂 . I’m happy you and others enjoy it. It is good for me, especially when I don’t feel like doing it it forces me to look for happy news. That can never be bad for the soul, right?

• Love the video of the Dems and Romney so much! It seems Twitter took the video down, because the band REM, who wrote and perform the song, “Everybody Hurts”, got all butt hurt about their music being connected to the video. Too bad… it was perfect and probably could have helped them sell some tunes. LOL!

Fun list, lovely! Happy Saturday!

• auscitizenmom says:

When I signed on this morning and saw the list was the first thing, I went back into the kitchen and finished making breakfast so I wouldn’t be interrupted while I was reading the list. 🙂

• czarina33 says:

5 & 8 but especially 10! Had to show the 11 y.o. GGS the microbes from the kid’s hand. When he was two I just washed his hands, later, every time he started to eat something I’d say “germs!” and “do you want to get sick?”. May not work when he’s away, but I think he has the idea when he’s here.

• lovely says:

Someone needs to make a microbe hand turkey!!

I was probably too obsessive about germs when my girls were young. I’m still a germ-phobe but I try to relax about it.

And 10, I imagine his reign as king is pretty well set for the near future!

“Democrats Will Soon be Forced to Go on Record About Whether They Support Infanticide”
    By Rachel Del Guidice – February 15, 2019 | 2:21PM WASHINGTON, DC

“Democrat Patty Murray Calls Infanticide “Women’s Health and Rights,” Defends Killing Newborn Babies”
    By Steven Erelt – February 15, 2019 | 3:37PM WASHINGTON, DC

• Have you seen this?

I hope they can make it happen.

• Menagerie says:

There’s is a picture (it’s several years old IIRC) of an ultrasound that shows the Virgin Mary holding the baby. I saw it in an article on a Catholic site, but I didn’t post it because there’s just too many photoshops out there, and I didn’t have time to research it.

Nevertheless, it was a reminder and thought provoking. We are beloved in heaven, by God AND all his angels and saints, from the moment we are created.

I reflect sometimes during my rosary on the Mystery of the Ascension. Jesus said “I go now to prepare a place for you.”

It seems to me that heaven hardly needs remodeling. I think perhaps a part of what He meant was getting us there. I think that Christ leads his forces of angels and saints in battle for us, praying for us, worshipping the Father and all, through the Communion of Saints, battling for every single soul who ever will live to have a place in heaven.

• Morning Menagerie. I love this verse: Jeremiah 1: 4-5 Now the word of the Lord came to me, saying, “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you;…” I pray the day comes, when all human life, from conception to natural death is sacred.

• lovely says:

Rachel’s Lament.

• Lucille says:

“Those babies are fought for far more in heaven than here, even by the most ardent pro lifer.”

Beautiful, Menagerie.
          ——–
          Cuomo learned disrespect for life-in-the-womb from his “pro-choice” father, Mario…also, a supposed good Catholic.

What does a person have to do today in order to be excommunicated or at the very least refused the Eucharist?

• Menagerie says:

Here is a long and way out in the Catholic weeds article by a canon lawyer that I occasionally read, and really respect. First, I am trained not at all in either theology or canon law, and Ed Peters is not only well trained, I have always found his thought and reasoning and putting together the pieces of Catholic canon law, dogma, and 2000 years of teaching to be sound and just.

However, I just can’t help disagreeing with him on this one. If you read or even skin this post, you see that he believes the Church cannot justly make a case for excommunication based on heresy, which involves a divinely reavealed teaching.

Abortion is murder. God gave us the Ten Commandments. What am I missing? Incidentally, my bishop, Richard Stika, publicly went on record advocating excommunication-and he stuck with it later when the press came calling.

• Lucille says:

VERY interesting treatise. Also interesting: Cuomo presently refrains from taking Holy Communion. I hope it’s because he knows he has unconfessed sins on his conscience and does not wish to be “guilty of violating the body and blood of our Lord.”

1 Corinthians 11:26-29 – (The Voice version notes re study of this passage–God doesn’t demand perfection to partake at the Lord’s table, rather brokenness. Their pride is causing division during the meal; instead they need to fellowship in a shared, broken spirit.)

26 “Every time you taste this bread and every time you place the cup to your mouths and drink, you are declaring the Lord’s death, which is the ultimate expression of His faithfulness and love, until He comes again.

27-29 “So if someone takes of this bread and drinks from the Lord’s cup improperly—as you are doing—he is guilty of violating the body and blood of our Lord. Examine yourselves first. Then you can properly approach the table to eat the bread and drink from the cup; because otherwise, if you eat and drink without properly discerning the significance of the Lord’s body, then you eat and drink a mouthful of judgment upon yourself.”

Viewing this issue from the standpoint of a fellow Christian but one who is outside the Roman Catholic Church, I do see how excommunication is an extremely difficult prosecution. Perhaps, however, the Church should bar anyone from taking the Eucharist–be they famous politically, theatrically, whatever–who advocates, promotes, or approves of killing children in the womb for any reason they may come up with. This ban would stay in force until the individual privately confesses and publicly denounces his former support of such horrible actions.

• auscitizenmom says:

Excommunication just baffles me. I had some Mexican friends back about 40 years ago, a young couple. After their second child, he got a vasectomy and was excommunicated. It was something that really weighed on him at the time. Just a little while ago, I read on a crawl across the news that an 88 year old priest was being defrocked for having sexually assaulted (what I assumed were many young boys), which meant he couldn’t take communion, or something. He’s 88, nearly dead and now they defrock him? I believe he is living in what amounts to “an old priest’s home”.

• Menagerie says:

IMO that ban is in effect. The Church very clearly teaches that abortion is a mortal sin. Participating in obtaining an abortion, advocating for an abortion, making abortion available, those would all put me in a state of mortal sin and I would not receive the Body of our Lord in such a state, and if I did, that also would be a mortal sin.

In other words, if I give someone encouragement to get an abortion, if I give them a ride to get it, if I pay for it, if I work at an abortion clinic, and logically to me, and also I believe to the teaching of the Church, if I am a politician advocating for abortion, assisting in passing laws favorable to it, and using my power and influence to increase accessibility and acceptance of this terrible murder of innocent children, then clearly I am in a state of mortal sin.

What I do not understand, as a person who converted to Catholicism, is why the heck they don’t GO BE SOMETHING ELSE if they don’t want to follow the teachings of the Church. There is no law saying you gotta be Catholic or nothing if you are Christian, and it is not a democracy. It also isn’t up for debate. It isn’t up to us to say “Well, what Jesus really meant to say was…” Just no.

If I know I am in a state of mortal sin, which I have to be self delusional not to know, as full knowledge and consent of will is a requirement of committing one, then I am not going to recieve Communion.

Here is an old article with some good points. To give a little feedback though, at first reading, it seems horrid that people like Biden and Pelosi were given Communion at masses with the popes. Thinking about it, that isn’t totally unexpected though. First, in most, if not all cases, the pope didn’t give it to them. Second, it may or may not have been discussed with JPII and Benedict beforehand, but either way, neither of them would have chosen a highly public venue to enforce something that their bishops (the politician’s bishops at home first, in DC secondary) should have privately and respectfully discussed with them before those masses.

What it boils down to is cowardice on the part of a huge percentage of bishops. Priests too. I am absolutely sure my priest would not give communion to Nancy Pelosi. I am not at all sure my bishop would back him, even though he publicly advocates for excommunication for Cuomo. Part of that is because I simply find it quite difficult to trust any bishop or Cardinal with the exception of Cardinal Burke.

As an aside, this article, old as I said, quotes the terrible former Cardinal McCarrick, who was laicized today.

• michellc says:

People do a lot of talking, but few ever really do anything to try to stop babies from being murdered.
          I know I’ve bored everyone with my abortion talk, but it’s just makes me so angry to hear people say we can’t do that because it’s not Constitutional or will cost money.

• lovely says:

Good. Defend infanticide, defend the Green Deal, defend Socialism, and we’ll see you in 2020. Vile, vile, people.

Yes, indeedy…make it a good one….

Mornin’ y’all!

Morning all! I really appreciate lovely’s list of 10 beautiful things. It encourages us to start the day in a positive frame of mind, and I imagine that the strongest influence is on lovely herself, since she spends that time seeking out beautiful things!

It’s still February, so that’s one thing, but as I told my cousin Cindy in an email the other day, I know that March follows February, and April follows March …

So here I am with something political, breaking our positive momentum, but maybe not. This is another way of looking at things.

• lovely says:

Thanks Stella!

I’m happy that people enjoy the list and I said almost what you said in a reply to Menagerie up thread 🙂 ! I had no plan on starting to do this I just saw a lot of positive news one day and decide to put it in a list instead of making multiple posts.

Thank you for being such a gracious host and inviting us into your living room everyday!

You and your work are greatly appreciated.

As to;

You’re not breaking the positive momentum, all news is not good news and we live in perilous times, that said what you did follow up with coupled wit President Trump’s statement from yesterday is really positive news.

The democrats put together a leaky bill and President Trump put them on notice that he is going to clobber them over the head, legally, at every turn.

While restoring the country President Trump will be playing Whack-a-Mole for the next two years 🙂 !

7. Menagerie says:

Good morning all. Here in the north Georgia hills we have jonquils blooming, tiny little yellow flowers showing their beginnings on the forsythia, and even some patches of grass greening. Good news is it is going to be in the high forties to sixty for the next eight days.

Bad news is rain every day. Lots of it. 6-8 inches maybe. Nevertheless, our short, not severe at all (here anyhow) winter looks to be coming to a close. Mother Nature might do a smack down, but I’m optimistic. It’s hard and not to when you walk outside and see flowers, right?

Thank you God, for spring. And making it come with such flirty daring hope.

• lovely says:

Flowers blooming in February! Some thing I really do miss about living in the south.

• The Tundra PA says:

You are about 3 months ahead of us on the HereComesSpring-O-Meter! It is currently snowing and 5-10 inches are predicted for today and about the same tomorrow. Adding to the 2-3 feet already on the ground. Sigh. Flowers are a long way off for us. Enjoy yours!

Hippielouie posted this over on the CTH Open thread. Not a very long read and I found it interesting. I thought the sky was falling before POTUS signed the bill, this gives a little different perspective on it and may be why our POTUS signed it.

• czarowniczy says:

I posted this idea next door, let’s see how it flies.

The I-35 Initiative and the Baja-California hi-speed freight lines that will carry cargo directly from the new Mexican ports to distribution centers deep inside the US will need extra inspection and if we have a wall DHS can reassign some folks from riding the border to clearing trucks and trains. The customs inspection of the then-sealed containers are planned to be done in Mexico but all considered you know they’ll need more inspections after they arrive here.

Not having a wall is ridiculous, but then again so are the Democrats so there you are.

11. czarowniczy says:

Part of my next door post was the opioid issue. We have about 3-millionish opioid abusers in the US, all sorts of numbers are bandied about depending on who’s using the figures for what issue.

In the last year the DHS folks have made two notable fentanyl busts, one in Nebraska for 120 pounds and one in Arizona for 254 pounds. The former bust has a ballpark capability of killing about 26 million people, the latter around 55 million – far more than are actually using AND this doesn’t take into account the fentanyl and heroin that gets through, enough to supply us happily.

Let’s say a well-financed Moslem terrorist gets a pound of pure fentanyl, an effective dispersal device and has access to a heavily attended event…see where I’m going here. Think the 2002 Nord-Ost siege in Moscow where a small amount of fentanyl was alleged to be used to subdue the attackers.

These two fentanyl seizures weren’t all that widely publicized and one wonders why? If were’re catching these we have to wonder how much is getting through and why certain members of Congress seem to be so intent on allowing an unsecure border to continue. Are illegal immigrant Rat voters more important than the thousands of deaths from illegal drugs? Are some political shakers and movers profiting from the drugs? Are we all #$%#@& crazy?

Frank Sinatra — “That’s Life”

13. LUCILLE says:

OK!!!!! It’s still snowing but the sun has broken through the clouds right in my window…REALLY!!! LOL!

• Lucille says:

The sun loosened the ice up enough on the walkway that I got it cleared all the way out to the carports–80 feet, perhaps. Leaving it until maintenance comes on Monday would have meant ice at least an inch thick with powder on top with more ice on top of the ice…LOL!

Shoulder holding up well…blessings on whoever invented Advil Liqui-gels!

Video: Trump wins on border security with emergency declaration and funding by Congress

• Lucille says:

Good and decent people find it difficult to truly believe the collective Democrat Party doesn’t care. Let’s be realistic, though, what other answer is there?

This is nuts!

If you haven’t already watched it (I just watched it for the 2nd time), may I recommend a movie? It’s available on Netflix.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (2018)

The main character, Juliet Ashton, is played by Lily James (Lady Rose in Downton Abbey).

Story Line (IMDB): A correspondence begins between Juliet Ashton and members of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, with them sharing their experiences of Nazi Occupied Guernsey. When an idea for a book catches Juliet she goes to visit the island, making lifelong friends and taking life changing steps along the way. This book is told by way of letters and as the reader, you become enchanted by the writers of them and the love Juliet comes to feel for each of the Islanders; Dawsey, Amelia, Isola, Eben, Kit and Elizabeth. A beautiful story of love, friendship and the sadness of friends lost.

18. czarowniczy says:

In all, not a bad day. I have our GGS here for the weekend and we went to a movie, I made leek and potato soup (we’ll have it with garlic bread) frp\om scratch and had someone on CTH who was in NOLA on post-hurricane Katrina cleanup tell me exactly why the levees breached. Time for a drink.

lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.
    Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.
    Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

A prayer for Justice Kavanaugh and Col. Flynn:

Prayer to St. Michael

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle;
    be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
    May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
    and do you, O prince of the heavenly host,
    by the power of God,
    thrust into hell Satan and the other evil spirits
    who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.