I checked the HHS TAGGS database, and searched awards on the word “alien”, and got a list of awards for fiscal year 2018. It is possible to search for prior years, but for the purposes of this post, I will only cover the current year.
Here is a link to the TAGGS search page that I used. I will also provide some summary data for you.
You can do searches of your own from this page, and sort the results by clicking at the top of the column you wish to sort by. I sorted by recipient.
The total for the Unaccompanied Alien Children Program, Number 93676, for fiscal year 2018 is $943,300,152. I saw an article in the New York Daily News that puts the cost over $1 billion. The Daily News explains that the $943 million doesn’t include at least another $129.5 million paid to the for-profit vendors who provide services such as transportation, security and health care at these shelters.
The biggest recipient by far is Southwest Key Programs Inc., with 2018 awards totaling $458,658,830.
I was interested in programs being run by churches, so I made note of those. Here is a list of those (the ones that I identified):
- BCFS Health & Human Service (Baptist) – $126,760,343
- Board of Child Care of the United Methodist Church – $6,299,728
- Catholic Charities, Miami and Galveston-Houston – $11,392,203
- Catholic Guardian Services – $7,487,349
- US Conference of Catholic Bishops – $10,103,169
- Holy Family Institute – $5,724,699
- Jewish Child Care Association of New York – $2,036,320
- Lutheran Immigration & Refugee Service – $22,917,604
- Lutheran Social Services of Metropolitan New York – $4,987,744
- Lutheran Social Services of the South Inc – $19,469,490
- St. Peter St. Joseph Children’s Home – $6,895,707
Other big recipients (more than $10 Million):
- Cayuga Home for Children DBA Cayuga Centers – $39,966,626
- Florence Crittenton Services of Orange County – $12,553,541
- Heartland Human Care Services Inc – $39,151,881
- His House Inc. – $12,967,407
- Leake & Watts Services Inc – $14,895,996
- Lincoln Hall – $16,457,711
- Morrison Child & Family Services – $10,836,824
- The Children’s Village Inc – $19,499,019
- Youth For Tomorrow – $12,421,178
I encourage you to do searches of your own. It’s quite enlightening. Search by the recipient to see other awards that they receive. I searched on the words “Catholic Charities” and found that they have other awards for Head Start, and Refugee & Entrant Assistance.
I am making no judgements here. Simply laying out the facts for you.