General Discussion, Thursday, December 22, 2022

This entry was posted in Holidays, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to General Discussion, Thursday, December 22, 2022

Stellars…have a fine Christmas Thursday in the Southern Hemisphere’s Falkland Islands….

Because of the strong winds, most of the decorations are indoors…

A Falklands Christmas Tree Festival…

The annual festival is held as a fundraiser by the Lighthouse Seafarers Mission in the Parish Hall of Christ Church Cathedral in Stanley, the capital, on East Falkland Island. The trees are sponsored and decorated by local businesses and community groups. Overall, the Christmas activities on the two main islands–East Falkland and West Falkland–remind me of the simpler times of my childhood…without the penguins.

The two larger islands along with approximately 776 small islands comprise the archipelago which is a British Overseas Territory. The population is about 3,700.

• czarina33 says:

My family started with the old style 1940’s big colored light bulbs, then changed to the small ones that stayed on steadily. When the new ones came out that blinked, we got a string of them, but my mother did not like the whole tree to blink on and off, particularly frantically! Later came the individual lights twinkling, quietly and randomly, and that was ok with her so that is where we settled.

• Pa Hermit says:

As a kid, my fave lights were the bubble lights that were few and far between on the tree. Then they (parents) went for the smaller fake trees. Thus no more bubble lights. Don’t see any bubble light any more, but then again I am not looking for them. I almost hate this season in stores! It used to be a layout starting after Thanksgiving, now I see it starting as early as Labor Day! Speaking of layouts, I remember quite a few stores that had a model train layout in their window! I see none now! Yuge bummer!

House GOP locates emails, texts showing Pelosi office directly involved in failed Jan. 6 security

Leadership blamed for “knee-jerk reaction” and failing to equip police in security staffer’s email after tragedy.
    By John Solomon – Updated: December 21, 2022 – 11:17pm

House Republicans gathered a trove of text and email messages showing House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s office was directly involved in the creation and editing of the Capitol security plan that failed during the Jan. 6, 2021 riot and that security officials later declared they had been “denied again and again” the resources needed to protect one of the nation’s most important homes of democracy.

My first thought when seeing Zelenskyy–the odious anti-democracy/anti-republic money grabber–was that he once again created theater for Congressional dupes who love to see him in his cute little wool commander-in-chief outfit.

Tucker Carlson: Where does Zelenskyy get off talking to us like this?
    Posted December 21, 2022

Mornin’ y’all! It hits us later today.

5. czarina33 says:

My friend died this morning. She was a kind and generous person. I will miss her. Thank you all for your prayers.

6. czarina33 says:

Ok, oddly flavored candy canes is topical. Sardine flavored, not so much…

Mornin’ All. I woke up this morning to a phone call from my DIL. She was checking to see if I had lost power because they had. My power was still on and they have a fireplace that heats the whole house very well, and they can cook on the top of it. It was -30* when I got up. The sky is perfectly clear and very blue and it is very sunny. Nice. I bundled us both up and took Loki out. She wants to go for a walk so bad, but I had to encourage her to take care of business and then I picked her up and br0ught her back in. To be truthful, I think she fared better in the cold than I did. When I got her back in, I checked her feet and she was warm.

I heard a lot of weird noises from the upper floors yesterday. I finally saw what it was they were doing. Evidently when the snow was blowing in it covered the open hallways in several inches of snow and the maintenance guys were scraping and sweeping it off. It was a big job to do all the hallways here. Oh, and I noticed snow seeping under my door. Well, maybe not seeping, probably got pulled in when I closed the door. But it was frozen so hard I couldn’t sweep it back out. I think it actually was helping insulate the bottom of the door.

Boy. this is different weather than I am used to, that is for sure. But, the weather guessers are warning everyone in the middle of the country to stay in if possible. I think the worse may be past us, but I won’t be going anywhere.

Be safe and stay warm and Merry Christmas.

• Lucille says:

Good afternoon, aus! The sun is fully out today. Love seeing the sun shining on the snow.

I’ve got to take out the trash but first must check to see whether the bin is accessible. Don’t want to go slippin’ and a-slidin’ on that ice.

8. czarina33 says:

Waiting for the septic tank maintenance man. Ours is an aerobic system, with three tanks, and a set of sprinklers to distribute the waste water at the end. But, about every two years we had to have it pumped out. Also, need to have the pump screen changed. Czar always took care of all of this, some sort of a manly thing like taking out the garbage.

9. litenmaus says:

Quick weather update….The frigid winds stopped blowing sometime during the night leaving 6 to eight foot drifts everywhere. The snow on top of the drifts is pure ice and in order to shovel the snow, the ice crust has to be broken through before one can even begin.

I did manage to shovel a small 1 foot path through the 5 ft drift in front of my door so I could get in and out to take care of the ferals. At least one of the little feral females survived the night and she was waiting for food and water this morning and my heart rose when I saw she was doing okay.

No snow in the forecast for today, but it’s supposed to start falling again sometime tonight and keep up through tomorrow….and it’s only the second day of winter….:0)

• auscitizenmom says:

Oh, wow. Please take care.

• Lucille says:

Good day, litenmaus! So glad the kitty survived. Do you have shelters set up for them?

When I lived in Vancouver, I always left plastic covered cardboard boxes with blankets plus food and water bowls on my patio for the stray kitties. Some I saw regularly and others were pass-throughs.

There was one old, rough-looking and sorta mean gray tabby male the maintenance supervisor had named Vinnie. Vinnie had lived on the property for about three years when I came across him. It was obvious Vinnie had received very little love in his life and I was determined to befriend him. We became pals. He loved being petted and would rub up against my legs when I was fixing his dinners.

My male kitty, Bob, would hiss at Vinnie through the screen and seemed to dislike my paying attention to him. After regularly feeding him whenever he came by my place, Vinnie disappeared one day. The maintenance supervisor said he’d seen Vinnie looking sick and that he would keep an eye out. But we never saw him again.

• litenmaus says:

Evening Lucille

I at one time attempted to set up a box with blankets and flannel but the box was ignored, so, I’ve boarded up all the windows and holes in the garage building, leaving only a small hole for the cats to enter & exit from. That’s the only shelter that they have. There was at one time back in the early seventies that there was an apartment in the building and I don’t know, but I believe that’s where the cats “winter” however, since the rafters are falling in, I’ve never gone in to verify that.

I love your story about Vinnie, how sweet…..it is wonderful that they trust us, but it is a bummer when they disapper….

• Lucille says:

The garage kitties have probably made a nice home in there for themselves. Shelter and keeping the wet off them goes a long way even in very cold circumstances.

These darling little ones come across our paths for a reason, either because they need us or we need them. It would be wonderful to have a farm with a special built catio for the felines who bring us their hearts and for the canines who become lost and need our care.

The following is quite discouraging. Is no one to be trusted; is no one to be believed? I haven’t been a fan of Hannity for years…but Tucker…THAT is a betrayal of our trust and affection, even. I won’t be listening to or posting anything of his again.

Published December 22, 2022 by Todd Starnes
    BOMBSHELL TESTIMONY: Fox Hosts Under Oath Say They Didn’t Believe Voter Fraud Claims

Fox News hosts were telling you one thing in public but a very different thing in private.

In Delaware Superior Court on Wednesday, Dominion’s lawyers argued that they had obtained ample evidence to make that case.

• weather257 says:

Lot of hearsay, especially re Carlson. We know Dominion participated in the cheating, but we don’t know what Tucker did or didn’t see regarding specific evidence. Lawyers are snakes.
      At worst, Tucker is another mouthpiece; but as long as he has enough ears to hear what he is revealing, I think it’s good for us in the long run.
      I’m not impressed that he sends his kids to public schools and a few other things he’s said about his personal choices; I believe he’s becomming enlightened but not fully understanding the whole picture of the Global cabal and their sinister plan.
      There are a lot of big corporate collaborators that need to be snuffed out by the consumer: Amazon, Walmart, Target to name just a few. Fortunately, Bed Bath & Beyond (who cancelled My Pillow) is shriveling up due to consumer displeasure. That’s what it takes…we have to walk our talk even when inconvenient.

• auscitizenmom says:

I agree with you. When I first heard this, I tried to remember what he might have said about the cheating. I just can’t remember ever thinking he believe it.

Two Honorable Lawmakers: Matt Gaetz and Lauren Boebert STAY SEATED and Skip the Applause as Zelensky Speaks to Congress and Demands US Cash
    By Jim Hoft – Published December 21, 2022 at 9:30pm

BREAKING: Arizona County Elections Director Scott Jarrett Admits in Court Printer Settings Were Switched on Election Day – IT WAS ON PURPOSE! (VIDEO)
    By Jim Hoft – Published December 22, 2022 at 4:16pm