SEED STARTING 101- How and Why To Garden From Seed | Gardening Tips and Advice

Another post about gardening. Are you sick of them by now? Based on the number of people who are reading these posts, there seems to be interest.

Have you grown plants from seeds in the past? I didn’t have good results from planting from seed until a couple of years ago. It’s worth the try. Why? It’s less expensive. You have a greater variety of plants to choose from. It’s fun.

I planted 72 cells of a variety of plants yesterday. Now I will be watching every day until the little devils start poking out of the soil!

This entry was posted in Gardening. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to SEED STARTING 101- How and Why To Garden From Seed | Gardening Tips and Advice

1. Pa Hermit says:

Good info, thnx Stella.

2. weather257 says:

Good morning Stella! Yes, that’s really good info, and I hope it’s encouraging more to garden.
    Have to confess my better half does all the gardening (his non-W2 job), and he starts everything except potatos from seeds. Asparagus and rhubarb reappear each season on their own. Our growing season is short compared to the southern states, but the little greenhouse helps jumpstart the germination. Different years produce different results…nothing radical in the weather, but the birds and bees and plants are aware, it seems.

3. czarina33 says:

Czar built a frame out of PVC to hold a grow-light fluorescent bulb just the right distance from the dirt. Worked well for the seedlings but when he plants got too tall they had to move outside to the sun every day then back in in the evening: labor intensive. Finally figured to put the little plants on a shelf unit at the front of the garage, facing south, and just opened the garage door during the day,

4. czarina33 says:

We are in zone 8b which gives us time to plant spring tomatoes, then add summer tomatoes which can stand the heat, then get fall tomatoes as well. Summer tomatoes are called Creole tomatoes down here and can stand the hot summers and hot sun. Some varieties have “sun” in the name. They are more tough skinned and often have cracks in them with yellow shoulders. They are very flavorful.

5. litenmaus says:

Last spring I planted some seeds but my kittehs ate all the seedlings as they came up…This year I have the seeds, I have the soil and I have a bunch of egg cartons that I’ll use as my planting cells but I’m still trying to figure out how to keep the kittehs at bay… :0)

6. Re-Farmer says:

We’re in Zone 3, and my last frost date is June 2, so we’re pretty limited on what we can start this early in the year. Our major hurdle is protecting everything from the cats, until it warms up enough to transfer the seedlings into the sun room (which has only 1 corner with enough sun for plants, but that’s enough). I prefer growing from seed. Much more variety to choose from, and much less expensive! At the same time, I will be glad to have the option to buy transplants, if something goes wrong with our seedlings. Like a cat getting into the mini-greenhouse again. 😦

7. jeans2nd says:

Came across this in my wanderings, and it finally seems there is something for me to contribute.

This guy regrows vegetables, which will save even more money and especially if you find a veggie you really love.
    He did not have luck with carrots and tomatoes, but everything else turned out well, albeit smaller. My preference is smaller anyway, as smaller seems less pithy to me. I did this for potatoes and a few other root veggies way back when, and they all turned out great, especially the potatoes, which i prefer small now as they are tastier.

Check out the other vids to the right on this vid’s page – some other good ideas for regrowing.

“What Happens When You REGROW Vegetables From Kitchen SCRAPS in the Garden?” 15:32

Seems impossible, but my broccoli rabe seeds have already germinated! 2 days.