General Discussion, Sunday, April 18, 2021

40 Responses to General Discussion, Sunday, April 18, 2021

National Parks Around the World…

Moraine Lake, Banff National Park, Rocky Mountains, Alberta, Canada, established in 1885…

Basaseachic Falls National Park, Chihuahua, Sierra Madre Occidental Range, Mexico, established in 1981…

Iguaçu National Park, Paraná, Brazil, established in 1939…Spelled “Iguazu” in Argentina…

Vanoise National Park, The Alps. France – established in 1963…

Have a beautiful Sunday! God bless!

• Menagerie says:

I love the wild places! I was 14 years old when Jeremiah Johnson came out . I read in the papers that it was based on a true story, and that Redford attended the funeral of someone connected to the story, can’t remember specifics.

I was so taken with the scenery and the story that I read the book it was based on, and everything else I could find on mountain men at our public library. That, combined with my own grandfather’s book (just for our family, not published) about our family’s pioneer history across the plains to Kansas, gave me a love of the wild places in the West, and the stories about those places and people.

• weather257 says:

I’m reading Undaunted Courage, by Stephen Ambrose, about the Lewis & Clark expediition. Highly recommend…it’s like being there with the details. As a side benefit, there’s a lot of good info about Thomas Jefferson that I had not known including his poitical posture.
        Another captivating book was Big Knife (William Wilson) about George Rogers Clark, William Clark’s older brother, who explored between the Appalachians and the Mississippi when that was the western frontier.
        These books certainly bring history alive!

• Lucille says:

Wild places are certainly enticing. I also like desolate spots. Though I’ve not seen this Idaho national park in person, I’d love to. One’s imagination could run wild with story plots abounding….

Craters of the Moon National Monument and Preserve,Arco, Idaho…

• czarina33 says:

I went there in the late 70’s. It is a zillion miles from anything, takes hours and hours to get to and back from. Pretty much everything was black lava flows like the bottom picture. The most interesting thing is how it seems so recent but isn’t, and how little plants are trying to emerge and live.

• czarina33 says:

I want to travel to those Brazilian/Argentinian falls! I could stand all day and listen to and watch rushing water.

Mornin’ kids!

3. Menagerie says:

Good morning everyone. I’m having my coffee on the couch, enjoying the view of the mountain, with the sun now shining on all of it. So many greens, and the pond beside the house is Stella reflecting the colors.

This is the day the Lord has mad. Let us rejoice and be glad.

Mornin’ All. Poor little Loki is not feeling well. She didn’t come down and play with her toys while I was getting dressed this morning. Then, while I was putting on my shoes, she came and laid down next to me instead of running back and forth playing. And, she just walked along on our walk instead of running all over the place. Now she is lying in the hallway just inside the door. She never does that. Now I am worried.

• weather257 says:

Awww, Mom. Dogs have a way of repairing through sleep. Loki will probably be a lot better in a day or so. They live in 16/4 (quadruple time in music) meaning they get sick and recover more spectacularly than we humans. It’s so hard to actually imagine being in a dog’s body. And remember always: dogs absorb our disposition, so try to remain calm and positive.

• auscitizenmom says:

Thanks. Will do.

• weather257 says:

Here are a couple of informative links about dogs’ nutrition
          A lot of people don’t realize that salt, sugar and fat (and most human foods) can be a real enemy for dogs.
          We buy grain-free for ours and moniter the protein content to match their levels of acivity. One used to be sick from the high-protein variety but leveled out nicely on the lower content. They normally get only a measure of kibbles 2x daily, always with 1/2 cup of water poured over the top. Occasionally, we add a plain cooked egg or lean meat that we’ve canned ourselves. Amusingly, one dog always wants to eat the horses’ grain; we remind him that we buy expensive grain-free brands!! He doesn’t care!

I feed my dog the same way. Currently I am feeding Merrick’s beef and sweet potato grain free.

• auscitizenmom says:

The Publix Premium Brand is what I have been feeding her. She seems to be thriving on it. I checked and it doesn’t have the grains in it or the powdered chicken, etc. Her coat is thick and shiny and usually she has all kinds of energy. I think she got something bad to eat when we were out on our walk. She already looks and acts better, but I gave her some oatmeal and then some kibble for dinner. I wasn’t going to give her the kibble, but after she ate the oatmeal, she laid down with her head next to the dish. I’m the same way, oatmeal doesn’t fill me up.

I’m sure Loki will be better in a day or so. Is she eating okay?

• Lucille says:

Good afternoon, aus! Hope your little angel is doing much better this evening. Perhaps the humidity got to her.

5. texan59 says:

Our favorite Sunday Columnist takes on some more hypocrites, ne’er-do-wells, and other miscreants this morning. Enjoy,

This Woman Finds An Abandoned Parakeet In New York City
    The Dodo Soulmates – April 18, 2021

MAKE THEM PAY FOR TAKING AWAY RIGHTS!

Arizona community college must pay $155,000 to professor it forced to apologize for criticizing Islam
    APR 17, 2021 5:00 PM BY ROBERT SPENCER

A slight pause on American academia’s out-of-control-freight-train rush to submit to Sharia. But the Hamas-linked Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) is still flogging this case in court, hoping to use it to destroy the freedom of speech and criminalize criticism of Islam.

Goodness. I turned the station to the ACMA awards and after one song a tornado warning popped up. It is in Tampa, but I checked and it looks like the storm is going to go all around us here. North of us now, and later in the early hours south of us. Pffft, we may not get any rain at all. :\