Music of the day – I’ll Be Home For Christmas

Bing’s I’ll be home for Christmas (1943) Images are of US soldiers during the Christmas season of 1943.

This entry was posted in Holidays, Music, video. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Music of the day – I’ll Be Home For Christmas

1. hoosiertruthfan says:

Excellent song, I always cry when I hear it. So poignant with the video.

2. Pa Hermit says:

The lock down assures I’ll be home for Christmas!LOL Great oldie too!

Another favorite. A lovely song sung at the time with longing for family, home, friends, and peace. God bless the memories of all who faithfully and honorably served.

4. Surfhut says:

My dearly departed Father and both of his Brothers served honorably. Daddy gave up a pro sports offer and served. One of his brothers helped rebuild Japan. Do not ever tell me that we are not a country of exceptional people.

• jeans2nd says:

What a lovely memory, and so indicative of who we are. Thank you.

• Surfhut says:

Thank you jeans2nd. My father served in the Coast Guard. After Pearl Harbor, most people didn’t know where or when the next attack would happen. So, he first patrolled our eastern coast on horseback. (First time in his life to ride a horse.) He was then sent to guard Hawaii and many other small islands. I wonder how many young men would today give up the dream of fame and riches to serve our country. Hopefully, many more than we know. I am happy to be the daughter of such a man.

• jeans2nd says:

You were blessed.
          But you also brought a laugh. A Coast Guardsman, athletically fit and trim, sitting tall and proud in the saddle on his mount, guarding us while patrolling for the enemy, on his – what else? – seahorse.

5. realeyecandy1 says:

Love this song

6. MIKE says:

What a wonderful post and pictorial display to this song. It makes me think about my pop, who did not make it home for Christmas 1943.
    I have a feeling that on this date 77 years ago, he was still at Tarawa or possibly in Saipan.
    I remember him telling me that when they wrote their letters home, they were forbidden to disclose their location, so he used a “code” of sorts, by naming a song that might hint to where he was, for example, when he wrote his mom to let her know how and where he was.
    I also liked the last pic of the GI with his BAR- Browning Automatic Rifle- something I’d like to own someday. Heavy, iconic, and effective.
    I’m dreaming , I don’t even have the tax stamp yet for FFL on automatic weapons.
    Like the UH-1 prop wash, nothing else in the world has the sound the slow rate of fire has like the BAR.
    Merry Christmas 🎁🎄 to all the Stellars and lurking Treepers.
    I love you all.

Love this song. It always brings on tears.

8. Linda K. says: