General Discussion, Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Image | This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to General Discussion, Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Stellars…

James Dean: February 8, 1931 to September 30, 1955
    Last photo gassing up his Silver Porsche Spyder on the road to Salinas, CA for a race…

A favorite scene from GIANT…

• Did they ever find that Porsche? There was an article about one some years ago, but don’t think it was the one he actually crashed. With all the new forensic info they can get, I wonder if it would give more info as to the crash (tire failure, hit an animal at high speed, or just lost control). Gone too soon, but he looks happy there.

• Gary says:

They recreated the crash using computer models and ran it till both vehicles stopped in the exact location they were found. The on coming driver to Dean was momentarily blinded by sun glare and crossed the center line hitting and killing Dean.

The car, well there is a whole other story. That car and it’s components are linked to more than one death.

• Lucille says:

I don’t remember how the chassis disappeared. But other parts were sold off. The family must have been in on the sales. Otherwise it wouldn’t have been legal since his listed next of kin, which I think was his aunt and uncle’s family, inherited everything. So if someone has it, I don’t think they’d be advertising.

One of my friends, born the same year as Dean, used to race cars in California and met Dean. All being young together, their teams had a great time socializing. He said Dean was just one of the guys when he was racing. Off the track he was a chance-taker but on the track he was all business. My friend tells a number of funny stories about traveling with him to race tracks. Said he was a great guy.

I think James Dean was a man who lived many lives at the same time with different sets of friends for each life.

Mornin’ y’all! What a shiteshow last night, eh?? At least we have a happy peaceful protest tonight!

• “What a shiteshow last night, eh??” NO KIDDING! and I had the volume OFF!

I’ve said it before: I don’t care whether is talking for his base (we’ll vote for him anyway), and the hardcore opposition will never vote for him so why talk to them. It’s the 10% undecided I wish he spoke to last night. I wonder how many were lost both to Trump and Biden, and will just not vote.

I like you went to BB knowing they would have a concise take on the “debate”. Sadly this is more than truthful:
      “Broadcast Signal Accidentally Picks Up Two Old Men Yelling At Each Other Instead Of Presidential Debate”

What a waste. That’s the 1st time many people ever paid attention to Trump with thoughts of voting for him. The debates are not for us or the hardcore opposition, they are for the undecided.

• WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ G&C! But – they all got to see what a weak, treacherous, lying piece of scum the career politician is, as well.

• Mornin WeeWeed 🙂

True, but I wonder how many undecided voters KNOW Biden was spewing LIES? They probably get their news from Twitter or MSM. Who are they going to believe when the “moderator” (spit) treated Trump as he did?

I purposely watched with the volume off through almost all of the debate, and read comments here and next door. My Mom, God rest her soul, slowly succumbed to dementia over about 9 years after a head injury in a car accident. By just looking at Biden, I could tell he was lost at times, but he managed to keep it together. He did not flip to babbling incoherently as dementia patients do when under stress. Though I have years of experience with a dementia patient, even people who do not can subconsciously realize there is something “off” with him, even if they do not know it is dementia. Perhaps some people will choose by “which one do I trust to have their finger ‘on the button of mutually assured destruction button'”, and they do NOT want it to be Dementia Joe, Vindictive Harris, or the undisclosed people who will really be running the country. I hope Trump pushes those peace deals and Noble Prizes he has been put up for to show he will have no need to push the button. Dementia Joe may think it’s the lunch call button. (OK not really, but you get my drift), and the unknowns in charge will be more than happy to cause war and destruction.

• czarowniczy says:

Only thing missing was them both ayellin’ “Hay, you kids, get offa my lawn!”.

Mornin’ WeeWeed!

• Lucille says:

Good day to you, WeeWeed! I didn’t watch it but viewed a Hercule Poirot episode instead. As a general rule, I can’t abide moderated things which pretend to be debates, although I did watch the Trump/Clinton shows and thought they were entertaining.

One friend, ordinarily a Trump supporter, thought he was awful last night. I doubt our man lost ground like she fears, though.

• Lucille says:

From the ever-optimistic Dr. Steve Turley who liked the debate…

Trump DOMINATES First Debate Against FLEDGLING Biden as Left MELTS DOWN!!!
      September 30, 2020

4. Morning all 🙂
    Don’t know why this caught my eye when looking for autumn art, but it is actually fabric! Doesn’t mean it’s not art, right?

“Japanese Cotton Fabric © Kona Bay Panel “Cranes flight to golden moon” ”

Have a great day everyone! 🙂

• Lucille says:

Your illustration is very pretty. The design could be used most anywhere in the decorative arts. I wouldn’t want it on a piece of clothing, though.

As a general rule, people have a tendency to look at textile arts differently. What they would like in a piece of clothing, they would not want hanging on a wall. Modern art is a case in point…a blouse can be full of colored lines and splotches, but many would not like the same design on a wall canvas. All’s fair and there’s no possible reason everyone should like the same thing.

5. I saw him adjusting something under his jacket and thought it strange, but could not see the wire!

(with photo):
    “This Was Weird: It Appears Joe Biden’s Wire Slipped Out from Under His Jacket During Presidential Debate”
    “Biden reached into his jacket and realigned something there.”

Have to run, work backing up!

This is a channel that I follow sometimes on YouTube. Nate, his brother, and a friend who lives in Leadville, Colorado biked the Colorado Trail from Denver to Durango. The entire trip took them 17 days of grueling biking over rough terrain, killer altitude gains and sometime really awful weather, including rain, hail, and snow. This is the last (long) video covering the several days before the end. It is some of the most beautiful country you can imagine. I have jeeped some of this back country and can’t imagine doing it on a bike. The towns they visit – Silverton, Ouray and Durango – are lovely and filled with friendly folks. Visit the area sometime if you get the opportunity.

Catholic Cardinal Says Joe Biden Shouldn’t Receive Communion Because He’s Pro-Abortion
    By Micaiah Bilger – September 29, 2020

Catholic Cardinal Raymond Burke said Democrat presidential candidate Joe Biden should not receive Holy Communion because of his long record of supporting abortion on demand.

Newsweek reports Burke discussed Biden’s claims of faith in an Aug. 31 interview with Catholic Action for Faith and Family founder Thomas McKenna.

8. Menagerie says:

My priest posted this article on Facebook. As you might imagine, people either love it or hate it. I have mixed feelings myself.

It is from a woman who encourages young women just out of college to pursue marriage and motherhood rather than a career. Yes, we all know Catholics are big into big families. I know that I have, wrongly perhaps, measured my life less by my family and marriage and domestic life and felt feelings of disappointment that I did not pursue my career more.

I just can’t imagine most young women choosing motherhood at 22, and don’t see why they should. Any opinions?

There are pluses and minuses to having children when you are young. One plus, you are still fairly young when your children are grown. Two, you have lots of energy when your children are fully charged.

9. lovely says:

Todd McMurtry has joined Lin Wood on team Kyle Rittenhouse.

Had to get away from politics for a while, so I’m re-reading a novel by the great Mary Stewart, My Brother Michael. Wonderfully written. If you have never read any of her novels, I recommend her highly. She died in 2014 at the age of 97.

This book, like many of hers, is a combo mystery/romance. This one is set in Greece – mostly in Delphi – and has a bit of magic of the ancient mixed with a post WWII tale of Communist infiltration of Greek guerilla bands. The romance is exactly that, and no more. None of the modern unnecessary sex scenes thrown in for shock or prurient value.

I should probably mention that most of these novels were written in the 1950’s and 1960’s. One you might be familiar with is The Moon Spinners, which was made into a movie starring Hayley Mills and Eli Wallach.