General Discussion, Sunday, June 7, 2020

World War 2 History

Shortly after dawn on June 7, Lt. Horace Henderson of the Sixth Engineer Special Brigade landed on Omaha Beach. Going in on his Higgins boat, “I noticed that nothing moved on the beach except one bulldozer. The beach was covered with debris, sunken craft and wrecked vehicles. We saw many bodies in the water… We jumped into chest high water and waded ashore. Then we saw that the beach was literally covered with the bodies of American soldiers wearing the blue and gray patches of the 29th Infantry Division.”

Although the fighting had moved inland, sporadic artillery shelling and intermittent sniper fire from Germans still holding their positions on the bluff hampered movement on the beach. Henderson’s job was to distribute maps (a critical and never-ending process — eventually in the Normandy campaign, the U.S. First Army passed out 125 million maps), but because the front line was just over the bluff at Omaha, only men, ammunition, weapons, and gasoline were being brought ashore, so he had no maps to hand out. He and his section unloaded jerry cans of gasoline, the first of millions of such cans that would cross that beach.

Sometime that afternoon, Henderson recalled, “Before the bodies could be removed, the first religious service was held on Omaha Beach. We prayed for those who had been lost and thanked the Lord for our survival. I promised God that I would do all in my power to help prevent such a terrible event ever happening again.”


This entry was posted in History, Military, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to General Discussion, Sunday, June 7, 2020

  1. auscitizenmom says:

    Mornin’ all. Yucky skies here. It drizzled off and on all day yesterday, with some downpours every once in a while.

    Never did post about our trip home on Friday. At the resort, the people who worked there wore masks,although often down under their chins. Visitors mostly didn’t and didn’t seem to care. The staff seemed to be very glad to be back at work. We got calls from the front desk to check and see if something we had asked for had been delivered, you know, a follow up call. Then, they called several times to see if we needed anything. They were very accommodating.

    The resort was only a half hour from my friend’s house, but we decided to have breakfast at Cracker Barrel. They had half the tables blocked off for separation, and the wait people were wearing masks, although we had to have them pull them down sometimes to understand what they were saying. 🙄 Breakfast was great. 🙂 They were very busy. They had all kinds of sales in their store. There were markdowns on their clothes, even some at 70% off. I love their clothes, but can’t pay their regular prices. And, people were shopping.

    Some black ladies, about 10, came in and were seated near us. When they wanted a group picture, I offered to take it so the lady with the camera could be in it. They were having a great time and we found out they are starting a travel club and had come from all across the U.S. They were having a GREAT time. They obviously were not concerned about COVID. Everyone, including the wait staff, we saw there was in a good mood and happy to be there.

    Liked by 5 people

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.