Governor Witless

How proud am I to know this is my governor. Not.

Lansing, MI – A tweet from 2018 made by Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer has recently surfaced in on Twitter that highlights her leftist pro-abortion dogma, while mocking Pres. Donald Trump’s famous campaign slogan, “Make America Great Again.”

Whitmer is shown in a pink t-shirt and matching ball cap with white words emblazoned across it that read, “Planned Parenthood Makes America Great.” She captioned her selfie saying, “The future is bright…. and pink!”

Last week, Whitmer drew widespread outrage from the right when she made a nonsensical statement on a liberal podcast calling abortion “life sustaining” during the COVID-19 outbreak:

A woman’s health care, her whole future, her ability to decide if and when she starts a family is not an election, it is fundamental to her life. It is life sustaining and it’s something that government should not be getting in the middle of.

This entry was posted in Abortion, Current Events, Government, Politics, The Culture. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Governor Witless

Somehow it doesn’t work…….”kill a baby, sustain a life”

2. rheavolans says:

Ok. So what’s the Right’s counter argument?

It’s stupid and she’s wrong but the Right in Michigan just went out and set the cause of Conservatives back by proving they only care about the rights of the unborn. If you are alive, and maybe might end up needing a hospital bed or doctor sometime between now and next year – or you work in the medical field – they don’t care. 80% of people recover from ChiComVid19 so that’s good enough for them to want to throw open the gates and crush Michigan’s health care system completely. I hear now’s not a great time to need a hospital bed in Detroit, and NYC decided not to close and that worked out horrifically for them, but Conservatives apparently didn’t get that memo. Also, I have never seen so many medical professionals worried about catching a disease before. You’d think that would be a point to note, but these people have to go the garden aisle at Walmart and they can’t!!! Even though when I lived in Michigan we didn’t plan anything until Memorial Day anyway, which makes the protest look premature and stupid.

If I were Half Whitmer, I would already have my re-election ads written, and if I were a Conservative in Michigan, I would stay home in the next election. I can’t remember having to endure this much weeping and gnashing of teeth when Barack Obama was actively trying to steal people’s rights. Now people have been told to stay home to try and minimize the damage of ChiComVid19 to others and the healthcare system and it’s the death of the Republic.

I think you need to take a deep breath. You seem close to panic. I see that you don’t support the cause of those who are protesting, but I hope you still see that they have the right to do so.

I’m still not sure where I stand on the closings, and I chose to self isolate for my own well being. I do think that some of the regulations handed down by the Michigan government are overkill, and they are overstepping what is lawful. Forced quarantine of people who aren’t sick is unprecedented and will probably be challenged in court.

• rheavolans says:

So I see my comment was not interpreted correctly. This isn’t panic. It’s anger. Protestors have chosen to risk their lives, which is fine, but by extension, they’ve chosen to risk the lives of the healthcare works who may have treat them if they get Coronavirus. Now, how will these people justify their opposition to abortion? They have the right to choose to protest and they did. They did it even though it may have ended up costing some healthcare worker their life. What’s the difference between what these protestors did and what a woman who wants an abortion does, other than the abortion is a guaranteed death and the protesters are just risking it? Both of these actions are protected under the law.

A well-prepared Democrat will get a lot of ammunition from this. The behavior of the Right through this shutdown has been outrageous. As I have said already, never before have I seen this much weeping and gnashing of teeth over a government decision. Obamacare passed more quietly than this. The Tea Party didn’t gloat about blocking roads around DC when they went to protest, at least not that I saw anywhere during that time.

President Trump has already started discussing what things will look like when they are open, and talks about wanting to reopen things in the near future, but the Right has spent the last month acting like this closure will last forever and be the end of civil liberty forever in this country.

We did have closures in this country in 1918, and it was widespread because there was no known way to combat it, just like Coronavirus. Public gatherings during that time were seen as a huge problem for public health and many public gatherings were shut down, including the schools. But that chapter in the history books got skipped over or something, because people act like nothing like this ever happened before in the history of the US.

I didn’t misinterpret your comments. What do you think about this? Michigan has already received drones from this Chinese company to be used to monitor citizens’ behavior.

• rheavolans says:

What do I think about it? I think Half Whitmer is an idiot. Which is what I’ve thought about her since I heard that she got elected. That hasn’t changed.

But going out and handing the left ammunition to use against them wasn’t really smart of these protestors, either.

I’ll bet I know more about the 1918 Spanish flu epidemic than you do. My mother, her six siblings and her parents all survived it. My mother was 12 years old at the time.

Spanish flu disproportionally killed the young, which is quite different than Covid-19, which kills the elderly and others with underlying physical weaknesses.

They also had NO drugs in 1918 that could be used to combat it, no ventilators or other modern medical tools. There seem to be ways to combat Covid-19, so what you said is incorrect. The recovery rate is very high.

The Spanish flu killed (estimated) 50 million people (500,000-600,000 in the USA.) Covid-19 has killed 170,000 thus far worldwide (42,000 in the USA), and that is a far smaller percentage of the population than it would have been in 1918.

Public gatherings can be shut down, but government is severely and illegally limiting the rights of citizens, in my opinion.

If our economy is not restored in the very near future, we will see an economic depression. Signs are already there – read the news today about oil prices and the bankruptcy of Nieman Marcus. Thousands of businesses will fail, and their employees will be jobless, homeless and hungry.

Forgot to mention that the number of COVID-19 cases includes people who have no symptoms, are not sick or not very sick, but test positive for the virus. The Spanish flu numbers were people who were really very ill.

• Menagerie says:

Two points I want to make. First, I oppose abortion under any and all circumstances in any social climate, including a pandemic, and I will not forsake my duty to advocate for life at any time.

Second, we aren’t just talking here about the protection of society vs I want to buy a bathing suit or a houseplant. We are talking about such things as people who rely on gardens as food and people who have not only the basic right to try to earn a living but the deep need to go out and do it.

I have been on Facebook all week with a group of people I deeply respect from my church discussing these ideas. Most of them are very much in the everyone stay home category. I don’t have a problem with that at all, but I sure do note to myself that they are mostly either very financially secure or they have jobs they can do from home. In my opinion that means they don’t have nearly as much skin in the game as the blue collar worker who IS going to lose everything he has been able to provide for his family. Or the how many tens of thousands of business owners whomslaved and dreamed? How about families who have generations involved in their businesses? They seem totally unable to relate to people whose life circumstances might encourage them to different choices, which I think is selfish of them.

Not all loses can be boiled down to body count, and I submit that that isn’t the only great loss attached to this illness. The devastation to our society and people is just as important as the lives we have lost. People have a right to fight for that too.

Rhea, if you read this, I think perhaps why Stella, I and maybe others interpret your comments as we have is that for the last several weeks your tone has been angry and even sounded contemptuous of those who have a differing opinion. I think they have reasons just as important as your own for how they think, not just selfish and uninformed disregard for life.

First, we are not sure what the recovery rate is, but I have seen estimates of 97-98%. 80% only get a mild case.

Why is it wrong to want to go to the gardening aisle at Walmart? Seems odd to me when it okay to purchase liquor, marijuana and cigarettes. If you are already at Walmart buying groceries, why can’t you buy seeds or potting soil?

Now is the time to start seeds for gardens this year. If you wait until Memorial Day, you have missed it. Seeds for cold weather crops (lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, peas, beets) should already be planted. I realize you can buy seeds by mail, but the ruling makes no sense. Home vegetable gardens make sense more than ever during home quarantine.

If you would stay home for the next election, I would tell you the same thing I said in 2016 for the Presidential election: you helped elect President Hillary.

• rheavolans says:

I’m not saying her decision wasn’t stupid. It’s not just stupid, it’s crazy stupid. And I agree that there is no difference between you being able to buy seeds or being able to buy cigarettes when you’re at the store. Roping off those aisles at the stores was dumb and it shouldn’t have been done.

But the Right’s behavior has been tone deaf in response to this. How will these people be able to justify that it’s not right to kill an unborn when they themselves have decided to risk increasing cases of Coronavirus and the potential to infect, sicken, and kill healthcare workers?

It isn’t the “Right”, rhea. It is a group of people protesting, and it isn’t just Trump supporters. Do you see those on the Left going crazy over groups like Antifa or Occupy Wallstreet? Does it hurt them in elections?

Killing the unborn is murder. Catching a disease isn’t the same. Keep in mind that most of the protesters in Lansing stayed in their vehicles. Are you saying that if a person goes to the grocery store and catches a disease, then gives it to someone else that he/she is a murderer? How is that different from going to a protest in Lansing?

Seems to me that it will be people who are panicked, as you definitely are, will be the ones who sink candidates on the Right in November.

• rheavolans says:

Contrary to what you continue to insist, I am not panicking. What I am, as I have said already, is angry. I have had to endure, for the last 4+ weeks, every kind of end of the world as we know it behavior from people who I had always believed could take the long view of things. Suddenly, ChicComVid-19 happens and they can’t. After four weeks of hearing, the government is out to get us and steal our rights and this is the beginning of martial law and we won’t be having an election and all of our healthcare workers are helping the government lie to us to control us and this virus was made by the Deep State, on so on and so forth, I’m not low on toilet paper. I’m low on patience.

When things didn’t go right when Obama was in office, the Tea Party and the people who didn’t like Obama said, ‘we’ll vote these people who do these things we don’t like out and new ones in.’ Not this time. I’ve endured the end of the world carrying on – predominantly from the right – since Indiana got locked down. I realize this lock down is a problem. I’m not thrilled to have spent the majority of the last four plus weeks at home. I may not have a job to go back to when this is all over. I may have to join the ranks of the unemployed before this ends. No, I’m not panicking over that either. It hasn’t happened. It may. There’s no point fretting about it until it does.

There was a reason to go to the grocery store. There was not a reason to go to a protest ‘that’s our right.’ It is their right. But just because you have the right to do something doesn’t mean you should. These people openly gloated on Twitter that they had blocked up so many streets. I have family that works in Lansing. How considerate of these protestors to interfere with the work of employees who were deemed essential by the state and have to go to work.

You may be right, and this may not matter, and that would be a good thing. Hopefully it will be a political blip and no one will remember it in the next governor’s race. But I wouldn’t put it past the Democrats to bring it up and argue it.

Sorry, but you sound panicked to me. You are really very young, so I suppose that has something to do with it.

I don’t go to the grocery store. Everything I eat is delivered. So going to the grocery store is not necessary.

Seems like these nurses are endangering more lives than the protesters.

How about this one?

• rheavolans says:

You keep insisting I am panicked, even though I have told you this is not so, more then once. Is it your intent to paint me as a hysteric? Because at this point that is what it looks like.

Thanks for the discussion. Maybe next time we can have a better one.

That is my opinion based upon your statements here. You paint yourself; I haven’t stopped you from commenting in any way. Those who read our comments can make up their own minds.

• jeans2nd says:

No answer required, but reading through all this, questions keep emerging, including –
                    Does a woman infected with Wuhan CCP Virus still get an abortion? Why?
                    Where in the Constitution does it say our rights go away in the 2020 pandemic? During no other time have our rights ever been totally and completely suspended. Heck, in over 2,000 years have we ever not attended Easter church services, until 2020.

Please, no answers, but one does wonder.

3. MaryfromMarin says:

That hat looks like just the right kind of kindling for my outdoor BBQ.

4. rheavolans says:

Menangerie, thank you. I appreciate that. I think you are being fair about this, and so I would like to respond.

It is not my intent to be holding others in contempt, and I apologize if it came across that way. It was not my intent. I will admit that I am angry over this. I have family who either don’t want COVID or are outright fearful of catching this, and I don’t see Conservatives I interact with, Conservatives who I respected as good friends, taking any of that into consideration when they talk about opening things up (and that’s not said to specifically target anyone from this site). There seems to be no consideration of the essential employees who want to limit their exposure as much as humanly possible. Or the healthcare workers who don’t want to be exposed. This most bizarre twist to this is that I see no acknowledgement from people that many healthcare workers are very vocal about not wanting to get this.

I get that people want and need to go back to work. They’re upset because they depend on being able to go to work and pay the bills and keep their business doors open. I have bills to pay too, so I get it. I have a friend who worries – understandably – that this may be the end of her small business. And closing greenhouses and gardening centers was stupid (and initiated largely by Democrat governors, from what I have seen.) If you can keep the liquor store open, you can keep the greenhouse open. I don’t know what the right answer is. But I don’t see many people considering any more then just the one factor of “we need to reopen the economy right now because people need to go back to work.” Yes, but what about the people who will have to go out because their jobs are essential? Where does their increased risk once everyone is back out fit in to this? Especially those who have chosen a career in the medical field? It may not be able to be helped. But the discussions I have seen and messages from friends don’t even factor that in.

I already saw one friend online last night openly mock Republicans, saying they were glad that Republicans are now pro-choice since they all think they should be able to choose to go back to work. I winced when I saw that. I don’t know how to defuse it, because they’ll point at the protesters and say “what’s the difference? Like they said, it’s their body.” I know it’s not the same, but how do I convince them, or their audience, of this now? It doesn’t matter who it is protesting. Could be a liberal. Could be a Libertarian. But the Republicans are being blamed for it.

I don’t have the answers. I would like to have a discussion about the answers. But for the last four weeks I have not seen these other matters considered. Most all of what I have seen come down to “we need to reopen the economy right now.”

• Menagerie says:

Rhea, thanks for your answer. I’ll try to come back to this tomorrow in more detail, I am beat tonight and not wanting to too much thinking that makes me think about things that keep me awake.

Around here I seem to be having the opposite experience most, but not all the time. The most loud voices are the ones who want things to stay shut down for a long time, some for many more months, and they try to make people who want to go back to work feel like uneducated idiots. They throw around a lot of statistics that are flat out wrong. The other day one of them posted that one in four Americans are dying of the disease when they get infected.

Governor Kemp in Georgia has a plan to open things back up. I haven’t reviewed it but I just saw an interesting comment on Facebook from one of my Georgia pals, a copied tweet. It said that his plan is similar to the one the Colorado governor has proposed.

Apparently there has been little to no condemnation of the Colorado governor from the media but Kemp is catching plenty. Colorado governor is a Democrat, Georgia governor is Republican. The commentary also speculated that being Southern and a Bible Belt state has a lot to do with their scorn.

I have not reviewed in detail state plans, nor looked in depth at what the President’s plans are, but what I have read shows that no one plans to open things up all at once. For example my former small town in Georgia has a plan. The mayor is allowing businesses that were forced to close to re-open Friday, but there were specific conditions and actions he asked them to voluntarily undertake and the response from them seems good, they had already indicated they would be doing these things.

No one, especially business owners, want to risk a new outbreak. They cannot guarantee the public’s safety, but they sure want to try to keep things going and give themselves and us some much needed income.

I am really needing to go back to the gym for my health, and to strengthen especially my legs to help reduce my knee pain, which is damned near out of control for me these days, but I do not plan to actually go back until I see a drastic fall in virus cases sustained for awhile. I do not plan to just go about my business as if nothing happened. I’m cautious. For a long time I am likely to drastically reduce my public exposure. I’ve always been a distance person, I like a lot of personal space and I can be blunt about it sometimes. My personal space just got a lot bigger, and knowing me, it probably won’t shrink back down.

I think a lot of people are going to feel and act differently in the future. As I said, I haven’t read all the plans of the cities around me, counties and states. I have read quite a bit from the businesses I am connected to, and their comments have been more about plans and actions than about just wanting to open.