Elevator in Chicago skyscraper fell 84 floors before rescue

I have been in the elevator to the 95th many times … A favorite spot!

CHICAGO (AP) — People rescued from a trapped elevator in one of Chicago’s tallest skyscrapers later learned they had dropped 84 floors.

The Chicago Tribune reported Monday that six people, including a pregnant woman, got into the elevator early Friday after leaving a restaurant on the 95th floor of the 875 North Michigan Avenue building, formerly the John Hancock Center. They heard noises and experienced a faster and bumpier than expected ride.

One of several cables holding the elevator broke and the car fell rapidly, landing somewhere near the 11th floor.

Firefighters broke through a wall more than 10 stories above ground from a parking garage to reach the people who were trapped inside.

The elevator and two others will be closed until repairs are made and officials figure out what happened.

This entry was posted in News, The Culture. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Elevator in Chicago skyscraper fell 84 floors before rescue

1. tessa50 says:

Whoa, that would be scary.

2. Gil says:

Terrifying. I would never go up that high. Maintenance has some problems now!

It is a very fast elevator, so it’s almost possible that the passengers didn’t realize their danger until the very last. The bar and restaurant on the 95th floor are delightful. There is a full glass wall in the ladies’ room, overlooking north Michigan Avenue towards the Loop. Really amazing. I was there with a date once, and a storm came in BELOW us. It was night, and we watched the city lights go out as it came towards us.

• tessa50 says:

I could go up that high in an elevator and then be okay looking out of a window. But put me on a ferris wheel where I would see myself going up higher? I would freak.

• I worked in downtown Boston for ten years as a courier. We never had buildings with 95 floors, from what I remember. One Boston Place, at the top of State Street, would sway in the wind so much you could see it in the geometry of the walls when at the top floors. It was sickening. I’m good living in the midwest, now. My buildings don’t sway. That s*&t is unnerving, to say the least.

3. czarina33 says:

I avoid tall buildings. I don’t like looking out of floor to ceiling windows. I don’t like standing on the edge of cliffs.

• Amen.

And I would love to jump out of an airplane.

But when you’re in a skyscraper, you generally don’t have a parachute handy. Usually the only tools you have are pens and maybe one of those claws you remove paperclips with.

I don’t even like watching movies with heights involved. Falling from great height is a recurring nightmare of mine. That and spiders.

I think I need to skydive with a bunch of spiders on me.

4. lovely says:

I’m back to Word Press not allowing me to like the original post 🙄.

Everything about the Hancock Center is fun.

My friend’s dad worked on erecting the John Hancock Center.

I wonder what happened ? Sounds like poor maintenance.

The drop must not have been too rapid from the description the occupants of the elevator gave.

I’m happy that they are all ok.

Elevator at one of Chicago’s tallest skyscrapers plunges 84 floors after hoist rope breaks

None of the people in the elevator was hospitalized.

***

I have to believe there would be some serious damage if it was a rapid decent.

Still very scary.

Funnily enough I just copped this into my imgur account yesterday.

Construction of the JHC.

I remember that!

• I had a friend who passed a joint at the top of One International Place in Boston, as it was being constructed.

• Been in both those buildings, many times. Every floor.

In the basement, there are nuts that are four feet wide, attached to bolts that are a foot wide, anchoring the building itself. It’s surreal.

The marble/granite in both buildings’ lobbies are beautiful to see, and impressed me every time I went in. Which was every day. Red in One, Gray in Two. I used to know the FPS for every elevator in town. 1 and 2 IP were really fast. Otis Elevators, naturally.

And the Close Door button on the panel doesn’t do anything. In any elevator, anywhere. It’s a red herring. It’s there for you to think you are doing something. Like the “walk” button at a busy intersection. It’s a placebo. Not attached or connected to anything at all.