What were you doing on July 20, 1969?

That’s 49 years ago, so there are probably a couple here who were just a twinkle in their daddy’s eye.

On that date, most Americans (and many others) were watching Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walk on the moon. It was a huge milestone in the “space race”, a milestone in live television, and the first telephone call between the moon and planet Earth. Remember JFK’s speech in 1961?

Now it is time to take longer strides,” he exhorted, “time for a great new American enterprise . . . . I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to the earth.”

At the time he gave this speech before Congress in 1961, NASA was not yet three years old. Six years later, we were there. Considering the state of technology at the time, it was a bloody miracle!

“one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind.”

Neil Armstrong leads Edwin ‘Buzz’ Aldrin and Michael Collins out of the space centre on the Apollo 11 space mission to the moon. (Photo by Keystone/Getty Images)

This entry was posted in History. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to What were you doing on July 20, 1969?

1. czarina33 says:

Sitting in front of the tv with my parents & brothers, watching every bit they broadcast! My father was always interested in anything aviation. My mother joked it was all faked b/c everyone knew the earth was flat, “see, it is round & flat” she would say when they showed the pix of the beautiful earth-from-the-moon view.

My husband and I were invited to his aunt’s house for a moon landing/pool party. My little daughter was almost 18 months old – the one who now has an 18-year old son!

3. Menagerie says:

My family, like the familes shown in the pictures, as well as probably 99 percent of Amerian families who had television, was glued to the television. I was 11 years old, old enough to understand the accomplishment and importance of it all. However, I was still too young to understand just how wonderful it was in terms of our effort and accomplishment.

Well, now that I see the date, I know why I don’t remember it. I was on a Naval Base on Midway Island. We didn’t get news. The TV station was only on a few hours a night and all they showed was 1950 reruns. It might have been on the radio.

5. The Tundra PA says:

I was in the Smokey Mountains in North Carolina with a Methodist youth church group. We had just finished a week of backpacking on the Appalachian Trail. A little gift shop in the town of Cherokee had the TV on and we all watched in fascination for about an hour. I was seventeen. Seems like yesterday.

• czarowniczy says:

Ain’t you the Jennifer

• The Tundra PA says:

Yeah, I’m just the trophy wife, the arm candy, the younger woman for my rising political star husband! (You’d laugh out loud if you knew me IRL. Ask Menagerie.)

• czarowniczy says:

Pfffft…it’s all in personal perception. Czarina’s 2 years younger than I and at my age that’s distinction enough for jennifer status. Anmd I can still think of her as arm candy…think me dining wth Maxine Water or Pelosi on my arm or you with Bernie Sanders of Chuckie Schumer…see what I mean?

6. Sharon says:

My second son was just over 12 months old and took his first step that day – other than that, I was glued to the television. And then at night going outside to stare at the moon…..

7. czarowniczy says:

Sitting in the smoker’s/caffine user’s segregated area of the studen union cafeteria in Weber State College. We were allowed to peer through the openings to see the landing though we could leave and join the LDS masses if we left our cigarettes and, preferably, our evil, sinful, and sacreligious caffine beverages behind. Actually considering the importance of the moment the caffine as more or less ignored and, in an abandoned celebratory moment a few of the tie-and-vest wearing crowd took sips of iced caffine containing drinks.