Austin bombing suspect blows himself up (see press conference)

My San Antonio/AP

ROUND ROCK, Texas (AP) — The suspect in a series of bombing attacks in Austin blew himself up early Wednesday as authorities closed in, a dramatic end to a weeks long siege of the Texas capital, where two were killed and four injured in a series of blasts.

Authorities had zeroed in on the suspect in the last 24 to 36 hours and located his vehicle at a hotel on Interstate 35 in the suburb of Round Rock, Austin Police Chief Brian Manley said at a news conference. They were waiting for ballistic vehicles to arrive to move in for an arrest when his vehicle began to drive away, Manley said. Authorities followed the vehicle, which ran into a ditch on the side of the road, the police chief said.

When members of the SWAT team approached, the suspect detonated an explosive device inside the vehicle, the police chief said. The blast knocked back one officer, while a second officer fired his weapon, Manley said.

Authorities identified the suspect only as a 24-year-old white man and wouldn’t say if he was from Austin.

Austin has been targeted by four package bombings since March 2 that killed two people and seriously wounded four others. A fifth parcel bomb detonated at a FedEx distribution center near San Antonio early Tuesday.

This entry was posted in Crime, News. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Austin bombing suspect blows himself up (see press conference)

1. joshua says:

Don’t mess with Texas!

2. lovely says:

I am glad he is dead and can do no more harm. I hope if he sent more bombs and/or left them somewhere that they are found and disarmed with no harm coming to anyone.

That said. When is the last time we heard “All we know about the suspect is that he is black.” or “All we know about the suspect is that he is Middle Eastern.”

Evil is evil.

Disgusting manipulative media.

3. czarowniczy says:

I love the backtracking. We’ve seen a flurry of ‘experts’ on TV tellin g us how this guy was an expert, probably had military training as some of these bombs showed ‘special operations’ techniques or was a ciovilian ‘bomb’ expert. Now it’s seen as this guy being some nerd with no military or civilian training, no prior EOD work- nada.
    So much for the batallions of ‘expert’ talking heads the MSM uses to whip up copy and make the worried public more worried to keep their viewer shares up. At what point is the public at large going to start voting with their remotes and force the news to report and not create news?

I’ll take your word for it. I haven’t watched any of the television coverage at all, and very little of the print coverage.

• czarowniczy says:

It’s not like we have a choice, the local media have dredged up retired military and police EOD and even Fox has found a retired SEAL or two that all have a take on what happened and who was doing it- each more exciting than the previous.

Well …. you don’t have to watch. I don’t have cable news channels any more and don’t miss them. I rarely even watch local television news.

• Sharon says:

Me, too. I haven’t had cable since about 1988 and do not watch either local or national news. I do find the aggregate news sites helpful (Drudge, Bad Blue, etc). I can scan their clickbait headlines in less than 45 seconds and pick up references to significant events. The postings on American Thinker actually constitute an aggregate-gathering of current events as well.

Internet/youtube provide hard viewing about current events. I don’t watch very much of that either but it’s there if an event becomes significant – I can pull it up and watch.

It really doesn’t matter a whole lot if I don’t know everything that anybody said or did about something yesterday or last week. I conclude that “being informed” is over-rated.

When I was growing up (after we got electricity) – any “current” news at all that we got was 15 minutes a day at 9 pm, out of Des Moines, Iowa. A strong AM station that reached FAR at night. Our newspapers were always delivered to our rural mail box a day after they were printed (about 36 hours actually), 8-10 news magazines and periodicals came once a week. All of that was absorbed.

The drive to be first (on the part of “news” outlets) has added to the rot of regular “news”. No “news” seems to be relevant more than a few hours any more.

Both sources and volume we each take in really have become a matter of personal habit and preference, and that works.

• czarowniczy says:

I like to have a handle on whom mine enemies be.

• John Denney says:

Homeschooling.
      A good education can be used for good or evil.
      Corollary: Being educated does not make one good. Educating a thug is a bad idea; I prefer ignorant thugs.

4. Sharon says:

I do appreciate that he blew himself up. Saved the taxpayers a couple million dollars in further housing and processing costs, so there is that.