1967’s view of the home of the future

I had fun this morning looking at a few old films about home planning in the 1940’s and 1950’s, and this 1967 film, hosted by Walter Cronkite, about what our homes would look like in the 21st century, including the newest in electronics(!!!) Enjoy!

This entry was posted in Family, History, The Culture. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to 1967’s view of the home of the future

1. czarowniczy says:

Prog-ressives…always ignoring history and masking great, dreaming leaps forward and then blaming others when their prog-nostications fall short.
    Where are those ‘flying cars’ we were all supposed to have? Those huge transnational famines that would winnow the population back to 1700s levels? Oh wait, it’s the fault of that reactionary guy over there behind that tree. If we’d have just elected Mondale and/or Dukakis things would have been soooooo much better and we’d be friends with everybody – and we’d have those flying cars that ran on air and sunlight!

Gee, what a nightmare scenario. 😯 Funny how some of it came true and some of it is just sort of ridiculous. I had to laugh at their version of the robots that would help us. They looked pretty clumsy compared to things like the Rhumba that we actually have.

The computer equipment and home theater controls were pretty funny too.

• auscitizenmom says:

They still build houses on postage stamp lots, only they have four, or more. styles and alternate them to make them not so cookie cutter looking. That is all the adjustment they made. I remember watching very expensive homes, huge ones, being built in CA when I was out there. They were all on nice big lots. Looked great. And, then, when those homes sold, they came in a plopped more big homes in between them. Just another housing development, only these were very expensive.

• Menagerie says:

I think they utterly failed to realize that you still have to design a home and not just a building. Be it city or country or suburbs, we all want a home and not a box, even if the box might have computers and robots.

And hell will freeze over before they can mass produce a better blueberry pie than I can cook!

Where’s my personal robot to clean windows and dust the bookcases; to cook my lunch and deliver it to my home office? Did it get lost?

I seldom watched CBS News or Cronkite. My news came from NBC and the Huntley-Brinkley Report. I did watch Cronkite’s historical series, “You Are There” which was excellent.

This particular presentation showed that Cronkite had a very odd speech pattern. The last word of his sentences are often elongated and growly-sounding with an occasional upward swing…not appealing to my ear now, though I hadn’t noticed it before.