Celebrate!

I cry when I listen to this song, but I feel pride at the same time.

I’m celebrating my country today, its Independence, its beauty, and essential goodness. You all know that about half of the population says that they aren’t profoundly proud of the United States of America, and it is sad that a large proportion of Americans don’t know our history, and don’t know what we celebrate today, and why.

The USA is the Great Experiment of Freedom and, as Ben Franklin once said, responding to a question, “Well, what have we got – a Republic or a Monarchy?”,

A Republic, if you can keep it.

National Pride is making a comeback, along with populism.  Globalism is in decline, and I truly hope that trend continues. Can we restore our Republic? It’s possible, but we still have so much work to do.

Since we celebrated our Nation’s Independence a year ago, we experienced a huuge election that put in place the beginnings of the restoration that many Americans have been hoping for – but it is just a beginning.

So let’s celebrate today. Let’s fly our flags, watch a parade, eat a celebratory meal with our family, enjoy the fireworks. At the same time, let’s prepare for the battle ahead – a battle for the country we love. We should join with our fellow citizens, setting aside our minor differences, to uphold and restore the important things about being an American.

MemorialDayParade

One of my favorites, celebrating our country.

This entry was posted in History, Holidays, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Celebrate!

1. I watched the SH fireworks today from a good vantage point but not near the lighthouses, and it was wonderful.

I was going to take pictures, or video, or use my Lightning Camera app to get some cool shots, but hey, maybe on New Years.

I just sat and thought about our nation.

• shiloh1973 says:

Nothing quite like fireworks over Lake Michigan to make your heart soar with pride for this great country. A long time since I have been in South Haven.

• Although we didn’t see fireworks over Lake Michigan my whole immediate family, excepting my daughter, spent the better part of a day at Lake Michigan’s Sturgeon Bay. This is a gorgeous remote beach on the South-Western most part of Wilderness State Park at the tip of Michigan’s lower peninsula. This mini side trip was the highlight of our vacation and the majestic natural beauty of this stunning location will be remembered by all in attendance for many years to come. It had been several years since we’d been to Lake Michigan and each year around July 4 we always hope to shoehorn in a trip to the shoreline and occasionally a visit to touristy Mackinac City in juxtaposition to the more relaxing Lake outing…

2. Menagerie says:

It astounds me that every citizen doesn’t recognize and treasure this country, the republic. Today I am grateful that our founding fathers were as wise and discerning as they were. As I read about the process they went through, from the times of the resistance to English tyranny, through the meetings, the call for independence, the drafting of the Declaration, and forward through the war, I always appreciate what they accomplished, without hesitating to count the cost, nor turning aside when things got tough, when blood began to flow.

When I read about the battles against the mighty power of England, and the battles they fought with each other to iron out the course of action, and to determine the founding and future of our country, it seems impossible that America came into being. And that was just the start.

Our country has survived and thrived. I pledge to do my very best to help keep it going. I pledge to teach my grandchildren the history I know, and to do my best to instill in them a love of America, and an understanding of honor and justice and responsibility which must go hand in hand with liberty.

Seen on Facebook:

INDEPENDENCE DAY THOUGHTS FROM CALVIN COOLIDGE, from his 1926 Fourth of July speech.

“About the Declaration there is a finality that is exceedingly restful.

It is often asserted that the world has made a great deal of progress since 1776, that we have had new thoughts and new experiences which have given us a great advance over the people of that day, and that we may therefore very well discard their conclusions for something more modern. But that reasoning can not be applied to this great charter.

If all men are created equal, that is final.

If they are endowed with inalienable rights, that is final.

If governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed, that is final.

No advance, no progress can be made beyond these propositions. If anyone wishes to deny their truth or their soundness, the only direction in which he can proceed historically is not forward, but backward toward the time when there was no equality, no rights of the individual, no rule of the people.

Those who wish to proceed in that direction cannot lay claim to progress. They are reactionary. Their ideas are not more modern, but more ancient, than those of the Revolutionary fathers.”

4. hocuspocus13 says:

Reblogged this on hocuspocus13 and commented:
    HAPPY❤4th of❤JULY 󾓦

5. jeans2nd says:

The things which are despised God has chosen. 1Cor 1:28 NKJV
    Happy Birthday!
    Luv the song, Stella, have never heard it, thanks.

6. lovely says:

Happy Independence Day!

7. lovely says:

There is love.

• czarowniczy says:

It was a bitch leaving the kids for an infrequent deployment or, every decade or so, a war. I can’t imagine what it’s like for the military to leave every two years or do for over a year since 2001.
      It has to be even harder for the Guard/Reserve who gave to uproot their lives for what was a part-time job. They have to fight pushed employers who get tired and pissy of having to juggle employees, especially if the employer has a number of employees who are Guard or Reserve (hello, Federal Civil Service, ARE YOU LISTENING!?). If they are injured they have to fight the VA, frequently fight employers who don’t like the time they lose as the employee travels for drawnout VA appointments as well as lose pay as many employers don’t let returning employees use sick leave for VA appointments.
      God forbid the vet gets a disability st war, then he has to fight the VA for a disability and what little s/he does get is frequently far less than what’s lost by not being able to do your civilian job. One of these days I’ll get into how the VA figures multiple disabilities…my sense of VA humor jes ain’t here today.
      Let’s also discuss the potential loss of pay a Guard/Reserve may suffer going from his civilian job to a military one. There was so much complaining and so many people leaving the Guard/Reserve a while back due to the pay loss of putting on the bag that Congress tried a program that made up the proven difference between civilian pay and military pay/allowances. It became so expensive Congress quietly let it die. Now Congress keeps its own very generous hand-in-the-candy-jar perks as it cowers under desks when danger strikes but says ‘screw you, Citizen Soldier’.
      Yup, happy 4th.

8. Menagerie says:

Proudest moment of the day was when our five year old granddaughter perfectly recited the Pledge of Allegiance spontaneously when she heard us talking about today being our country’s birthday. She also said “I’m praying for us.”