Focus on Southeast Michigan – 2016 Woodward Dream Cruise

Woodward-Dream-Cruise2013-slide-JNAN-jumboToday is the 22nd annual Woodward Dream Cruise, billed as the world’s largest classic car event.  It takes place in my back yard. Well, to be exact, it’s about 1/2 a block away from my front yard! 1.5 million people and 40,000 classic cars are expected to visit us today on Woodward Avenue, between Pontiac, MI and Ferndale, MI.  It’s big, it’s fun, and it’s FREE!

There are more parties in my neighborhood scheduled for today than at any other time during the year, including 4th of July and Super Bowl Sunday. And the fact is, although this is officially a one-day event, it has been going on unofficially for the past week.

bhamcruiseThe annual event began in 1995 as a fundraiser to build a soccer field in Ferndale, MI. It has mushroomed to include the length of Woodward Ave from Ferndale (at the city border with Detroit) to Pontiac, a distance of 16 miles, encompassing seven communities.

dreamcruise_gfx081516The car companies and automotive suppliers have eventually taken up sponsorship, with official presence along the route. All along the roadway beautiful classic cars are parked where passers-by can look and even touch. Thousands of other cars are cruising the 8-lane boulevard from one end to the other, which is open for general traffic throughout the event, although they ask that the curb lanes be reserved for the classics.

My town is Ford Country. The major cross street is closed to traffic and, among other attractions, contains Mustang Alley.

MustangAlleyThis year on Friday for the first time, the northern part of Woodward Ave in Pontiac was closed to traffic, and Dodge-sponsored drag racing (called Roadkill Nights). It may also be the last time, because of the interruptions to local businesses.

While most events are free to the public, there are special fund-raising parties and other events, as well as sales of official merchandise, that keeps the Cruise rolling from year to year.

It’s quite a spectacle!

More about the events: Dream Cruise 2016

tailfin

This entry was posted in Hobbies & General Interest, The Culture, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Focus on Southeast Michigan – 2016 Woodward Dream Cruise

1. Col.(R) Ken says:

Looking for 48-53 pickup. Not chopped or slicked, Orginal body style…..

2. shiloh1973 says:

Reflects on a time in our history where Americans took pride in what they built. The old cars are a walk down memory lane and a throwback to a time I miss.

• michellc says:

I love going to car shows, I prefer those that only allow the classic cars. If I was rich, I’d be like Jay Leno and have hundreds of old classics.

Right now there are a couple of classics parked on my street. The next-door neighbor has restored a couple of Camaros.

• shiloh1973 says:

Someone asked me once “what would I do if I won the lottery” I said build that big old warehouse! They said ”what for?” All those big old beautiful cars I am going to buy!

• czarowniczy says:

While I was still living in Utah I was looking at a ’34 Buick town car that had been set up for being driven by a chauffeur. It had the external luggage trunk on the back supported by two chrome arms, the roll-down window between the driver and passenger compartment, wood dashboard and no rust or dents. Interior cloth upholstery was trashed but it had been garage kept for years and was in great shape. I was digging sround trying to find the cash, great price on it, when the harage and car burned down completely and suspiciously. Seemed it coincidentally burned at the samevtomevthe city fire department was having heated discussions with the city government over raises and there were a lot of mysterious gires in unoccupied buildings.
          Just outside of the town we lived in there was a guy who loved Model A and T Fords. He owned a small farm and had dozens in various states parked in his field. Every now and then he’d sell one or parts but he was adamant that it was be restored and not hot rodded and wouldn’t sell until he felt certain you’d restore. Always wondered what happened to his syock when he died, he had a goldmine there.

• michellc says:

I’m picky about the old cars as well, I like them to be restored to their original glory.
          The only thing I don’t mind is switching them to disc brakes, but only because drum brakes are a pain in the rear to change.

Fun NEW car this year – the Destino.

What they are doing is taking Fisker electric/gas cars, pulling out the guts, and replacing the 4-cylinder electric engine with a Corvette LS9 V-8 engine. Cool! I just saw one.

4. czarowniczy says:

Flipped over to my Directv weather info and in the ‘home’ screen they have a block thst djows the five right- now things bring viewed in my central zone and nationally. Neither display had the MSM nightly news…both had SpongeBob in the top 5 but not the MSM news, not regular national or cable.

5. ZurichMike says:

I had friends in Texas who were classic car fanatics. It was great fun for me to learn about old cars (even though I have zero interest in the automotive industry or cars in general). I remember going to a classic car show with them — watching them drool of cars like kids drool over candy!

For most of us, it’s a nostalgia thing. They really are beautiful, but the money it costs for restoration, and then upkeep … something that I wouldn’t take on.