Food my mama made for me

I have to tell you first that my mother was not particularly fond of cooking. She didn’t drink alcohol, but often said that if she ever took up drinking, it would be at 5:00 pm when she had to cook dinner.

Another thing about my mother – she didn’t really like meat. She wasn’t a vegetarian, and she sort of liked pork, but she wasn’t into any kind of meat dish that required finesse.  Beef stew or braised chuck roast? Okay. Steak or pork chops? No! My dad referred to her pork chops as “pork chips”. I think you get the picture. No pork that she cooked would EVER give you trichinosis! (I’ll mention here that my dad was also a really good cook and he did the steaks.)

A story about my mother cooking steak. I bought some nice steaks at my local market, and planned to cook them for dinner. That day, things came up, and I wouldn’t be home in time to prepare dinner. My daughter was about 13 at the time, and my mother was living with us, so I told dear daughter that grandma would cook dinner. No! she said. “Grandma will ruin the steak.” Grandma promised not to ruin the steak but, alas . . . Daughter reported by phone that the steak “left skid marks on the plate”. Oh my.

Now for some nice stories. When I was a little, mom made nice cookies for me and my friends – snickerdoodles were so good. A favorite dessert at that time was some kind of cake, with a warm pudding sauce – lemon or vanilla were popular – poured over top. Yum. She also made really good bread.

Since she always had a garden, we had fresh vegetables in the summer, and canned and frozen veg from the garden in the winter. One of the things that I remember her making (don’t laugh) was fried potatoes and beets. It was really delicious. Then there were home canned preserves and jellies – peach, apple, cherry, raspberry, strawberry and apricot are just some that I remember. Bread and butter pickles, and chili sauce. Yum!

Potato salad – excellent. Baked beans – great. Then there was the angel food/strawberry cake that she made me for my birthday every year (even into my 40’s!)

She made great pies. Her lemon meringue was to die for, and my dad’s favorite. I also loved the apple crisp and her spiced applesauce cake with penuche frosting made with freshly made applesauce. Can’t be beat.

I learned a lot from mom and, although her cooking wasn’t her strongest talent, she had many more that made up for it.

What foods did your mom (or grandma) make that you remember?

This entry was posted in baking, cooking, Family. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Food my mama made for me

1. tblakney says:

My Mother’s fried chicken was to die for !! I have tried and tried to do chicken like she did but have never been able to quiet get it done.

2. Pa Hermit says:

Potato salad was my mom’s tastiest, IMHO. Thinly sliced beef rolls with rice-a-roni in them cooked in gravy, hard to beat that! Lampert’s Market was the source of a lot of her kitchen magic! Her cheesecake was worth leaving extra room for desert.

3. texan59 says:

My grandma made the best homemade egg noodles. We usually had chicken and noodles, but occasionally, beef and noodles. Mmmmmmmmm

4. czarina33 says:

My mother made oatmeal cookies with walnuts until Toll House chocolate chip cookie recipe was put on the chocolate chip bag, then that was the only cookie in the world. Occasionally she made an apple pie. Every Sunday we had cake, mostly chocolate cake with chocolate icing and pecans or walnuts in the icing.

My mother made the best fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy. And, her pot roast was the only one I would eat. She gave us kids the recipe, but her secret was that she always burned it when she braised it and cooked it in the pressure cooker, then threw in the potatoes and carrots and onions. The gravy was a dark brown and very rich. Her potato salad and deviled eggs were the best, too.

• auscitizenmom says:

Oh, and there was the angel food cake that she would cut into three layers and fill each layer with vanilla ice cream then she put it in the freezer. My dad didn’t particularly care for sweets, but he loved that cake.

6. Gary says:

I’m sorry to say I lost my mother two weeks ago, but I’d like to share.

My mother was not the “best” cook in the world, we’d joke she could burn cornflakes if you let her. Truth is though, she could bake like “nobodysbidness” and absolutely anything you wanted. She made all the Polish treats for holidays, pies the neighbors offered to pay for and a Jewish coffeecake (being Catholic didn’t hinder the effort) that was to die for. No more homemade Kruschickies.

She live a wonderful life thanks to my father who absolutely adored her, she was my mother. Sure there are things I wish I had never said or done, but life is both long and short at the same time and I will always love her.

• czarina33 says:

I am sooo sorry. It has been almost 20 years for me and the ache is still there. Peace be upon you.

• Stella says:

I am very sorry that you have lost your dear mother. She will live forever in your heart.

• Gary says:

Much appreciated Stella, Czarina. My mom suffered from Alzheimer’s, she completely forgot who I was about three years ago and always called me by my older brothers name. I never felt the need to correct her, I learned to just let her be happy and enjoy what Time I had left with her. Thank you both, very much.