Beans, beans, the delicious fruit . . .

We have frequently discussed the many kinds of beans and bean dishes that we (most of us) love. I ran across this video by a new-to-me YouTube channel called Pasta Grammar and, in this video, they demonstrate several delicious Italian bean dishes. Enjoy!

Be sure to contribute your favorite bean dishes.

Links:

Calabrian Cannellini beans

Pasta e Fagioli

Italian Cowboy Beans (Fagioli alla Trinita)

This entry was posted in cooking. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Beans, beans, the delicious fruit . . .

I want to try this recipe. It’s a yeast bread made with a significant portion of cornmeal.

• czarina33 says:

Interesting that for me certain types of bread must accompany certain beans. Cornbread with pintos, French bread with red beans, garlic bread with big limas, brown bread with baked beans, Cuban bread (so crisp the crust immediately shatters but the inside is soft and yeasty) with black beans.

I grew up eating cornbread and pinto beans at least 3 or 4 times a week. Ad now I really like refried beans and three bean casserole. I don’t cook beans from scratch because most of the time when I tried to do that I ended up burning the pan up so bad I had to throw it away.

3. Reflection says:

Quite an Italian tour! The corn bread seems like a good place to start.
    Thank you.

4. jeans2nd says:

The “delicious” fruit???

Oh dear.
    Dad was a genius, and was never, ever incorrect.

One of the first ditties Dad taught us kids –
    “Beans, beans, the musical fruit,”
    “The more you eat, the more you toot,”
    “The more you toot, the better you feel,”
    “Oh I eat beans at every meal.”
    (ok, i never said Dad was a musical genius…..)

Green beans with a beef bullion cube.

5. czarina33 says:

Czar and I loved Cuban black beans. Empty cans of cooked black beans (Goya?) into a pot you’ve already sautéed colored peppers and onions in. Season with garlic, oregano, cumin, smoked paprika. Put about half in a blender or use a hand held blender in the pot to chop up some of the beans to make the broth thick. Heat. Serve with sour cream.

6. czarina33 says:

When we lived in Utah there were Anasazi beans. Looked like spotted horses in color, tasted like pintos. At the Latin grocery in New Orleans I bought some round, red colored beans called Rojas; tasted, well, bean-y. There are bags of mixed beans in NO stores, 7 bean, 9 bean, even 15 bean soups, with little packages of seasonings in the bags. I found that the more bean types in the bag the more muddied the flavor.

7. Pa Hermit says:

At this stage in my life, beans is my staple in eating. For some reason, I have had cravings all my long life for Lima beans. As a kid, my mom would always ask what they wanted for supper on their birthday. It was always a given for a serving of Lima beans! Everyone thought that was strange.

I definitely think that’s strange. All of my life, while not being a picky eater, lima beans and kidney beans are two things that I have never liked. I think it’s the texture. Now I like kidney beans in salads and in chili, but I have not yet begun to like limas!

• czarina33 says:

I’m with you: love limas. Especially baby limas with nothing on them but margarine and salt!

• Pa Hermit says:

My preference is smothered in butter and a healthy dash of Turmeric and salt.

• auscitizenmom says:

When I was in Home Ec. in Junior High, we had to cook limas. We took frozen limas and put them in water and cooked them. We were divided into groups and each of us got a plateful of them to eat and we wouldn’t be able to cook the next time if we didn’t finish them. I couldn’t do it. Finally one girl who loved limas grabbed my plate and ate it all. It actually made her sick. She always hated me after that. I can only eat them in veg soup if there aren’t too many.