Honoring our Veterans

veterans_dayOn the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918, an armistice, or temporary cessation of hostilities, was declared between the Allied nations and Germany in the First World War, then known as “the Great War.” Commemorated as Armistice Day beginning the following year, November 11th became a legal federal holiday in the United States in 1938. In the aftermath of World War II and the Korean War, Armistice Day became Veterans Day, a holiday dedicated to American veterans of all wars.

poppies2015london888,246 lives – a cascade of terrible beauty that shocks the eye as it tugs at the heart. The number of Empire soldiers who lost their lives in the “War to End All Wars”. The total number of military and civilian casualties in World War I was more than 38 million: there were over 17 million deaths and 20 million wounded, one of the deadliest conflicts in human history.

116,000 U.S. military lost their lives in WWI. 204,000 were wounded.

American effort during World War II (1941-1945) saw the greatest mobilization of the U.S. Army, Navy, Marines and Air Force in the nation’s history (more than 16 million people); some 5.7 million more served in the Korean War (1950 to 1953). In 1954, after lobbying efforts by veterans’ service organizations, the 83rd U.S. Congress amended the 1938 act that had made Armistice Day a holiday, striking the word “Armistice” in favor of “Veterans.” President Eisenhower signed the legislation on June 1, 1954. From then on, November 11 became a day to honor American veterans of all wars.

2,594,000 U.S. military personnel were deployed to South Vietnam. 58,220 died, and 303,644 were wounded.

In the Gulf War, otherwise known as Operation Desert Shield, 700,000 U.S. troops served.

It is amazing to read the number of conflicts just in the 20th century, which finished with U.S. involvement in Bosnia and Kosovo.

The 21st century has seen almost constant involvement in the Middle East, first in Afghanistan, then in Iraq.

Here is a comprehensive list of all conflicts in which the United States has been involved:

Thank you to all of our veterans, living and dead, for what they have sacrificed for this country.

Many families have sent their young men to war over the years. In my own family, I can name relatives fighting in the Revolutionary War (both sides!), the Civil War, WWI, WWII, Korea and Vietnam.

We owe a great debt to the men and women of our military!

happy-veterans-day-poems

This entry was posted in Holidays, Military, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Honoring our Veterans

1. Menagerie says:

Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord,
    and let perpetual light shine upon them.
    May the souls of all the faithful departed,
    through the mercy of God, rest in peace.
    ~Amen~

2. Pa Hermit says:

A GREATFUL THANKS to all our veterans. All gave some, some gave all! THANK YOU bothers and sisters.

3. Pa Hermit says:

This day is a rather odd day for me. As a vet of the Vietnam War I am grateful for to be able to serve my country when called upon. I was able to return home to my family. I realized early on after seeing many not being able to do that, that maybe God had future plans for me.

This is also an anniversary of sorts for in 1959, on this date, as a Cub Scout I was going to march in the “Armistice Day” parade. Excited by that first chance as a 9 year old to get to be a part of a parade. We as a family, had a coal furnace and it a cold morning that day. The fire had all but disappeared in that furnace and I was shivering. I went down stairs and turned the gas stove on to get warm and the next thing I remember was my PJs were on fire. It ended up costing me about 2 months of losing time at school and I was held back a year. As a 9 year old I was devastated at so called “failing a year” at grade school. It gave me what you could say was an inferior complex to say the least for many many years. I felt like damaged goods compared to my peers. So for quite awhile I have had mixed feelings about this Veterans Day! I have never written about this before, so thank you for bearing with me on this. Happily as I’m retired now, I can say I’m over that particular incident and I’m one of those lucky ones to still be around 60 some years later. Karma is hopefully paid in full on that!

• WeeWeed says:

Thank you for your service, Pa! My Dad was in VN 1969-1970.

• auscitizenmom says:

OMG. What a traumatic experience only enhanced by have to do the grade the next year. Grownups don’t realize the kind of things that scar children sometimes. And children are not good at explaining to them. I am glad you are over it and at peace. And, thank you for your service. My father was in WWII, but he was never in combat. I was married twice, each time to a sailor. And, my son went to Annapolis and had planned to stay in and retire, but is getting out now due to the way things are.

• Pa Hermit says:

My dad also served in WWII in the Philippines. Way back when, it was difficult for me to around my peers. Yeah, I was mentally scarred, but also had ugly scars on my upper body. It was not easy trying to explain why I was wearing a long sleeved shirt in a hot summer day! Made me rather uncomfortable and would rather walk away than try to explain it. It caused me to become very shy around the girls. Between the burns and the grafts, I was one ugly duckling! Thankfully, as I aged, the scars were less and less noticeable. As of today most have almost disappeared, but boy were they huge back then!

That is a sad story, Pa! Thank you for trusting us with it. The good part is that you are still here.

• Pa Hermit says:

Thanks Stella, It’s not easy for me talk about my shortcomings. I have never opened up before about this and is a bit of relief for me to disclose it. I try anymore to count my blessings, but getting this out from under me is good feeling. I can say that I would never wish this on my worst enemy. thanks for allowing me to finally feel a little more comfy and get some of this baggage off my chest. Had this been anywhere near as popular as TCTH, I would’ve never had the courage to expose my history that I have. Thanks again Stella! I feel the walls of this shell abating. Thank God for this sweet land of Liberty.