Prince Philip, husband of Britain’s Queen Elizabeth, dies at 99

I think we all expected this to happen sometime soon. It now has.

This is a video I watched last week, and you may find it interesting. It is the plan called Operation Forth Bridge, to be followed when the Prince dies. There is another – called London Bridge – that will be followed when her majesty Queen Elizabeth dies.

This entry was posted in News, News International. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Prince Philip, husband of Britain’s Queen Elizabeth, dies at 99

2. jeans2nd says:

RIP, good Sir and faithful servant of your adopted country.

3. weather257 says:

Glad to know Prince Charles has chosen a private military funeral. The UK’s public has been all too fickle lately and don’t deserve a public one. Also hopeful The Queen will select the more stable William over his ditsy father to succeed her. She’s a smart and seasoned leader and possibly the best monarch ever.
    My mother was English, and I remember watching the coronation on our small black and white TV.

I don’t think the queen will skip over Charles (unless he asks to be excused), even if that would be the better choice. She is a traditionalist who believes that it is his destiny to be king and serve his country.

• Menagerie says:

I’m like weather. I think he will be awful, and it is merciful that she has lived long enough to make him old when he is finally coronated. And I tell myself that I’m being unfair. I know little of English royalty and politics but I know a weak and off track man when I see one, and that is Prince Charles. He has no center, and therefore no strength. He clings to leftist ideals rather than tradition and facts.

OTOH, it is entirely possible that he might assume the mantle and be a great king. Such things have happened.

• jeans2nd says:

weather, have you listened to the vid Stella put up top?
      My memory’s average at best, and I listened a few hours ago, but I believe it said Prince Phillip chose the funeral and plans, and a private funeral for a military man is kind of SOP. Best to listen for yourself and not me, though.

Could not agree more re: bypassing Chuckie. That guy gives me the creeps. Whatever did Diana see in that putz?

• glendl says:

I am not sure Diana ever saw anything in him. They are distantly related, they had been in some degree of contact their whole lives. I believe Diana’s older sister had been a lady-in-waiting to the Queen. I am not sure who put them together. It came out later that Camilla told Charles to perform his royal duties, beget an heir for the Throne. I believe Charles would have putzed around to the point where one of Andrew’s daughter’s would have been Queen.
        I remember Charles as being put forth as the most eligible bachelor in the world at that time. His putz qualities were not known to the world.

4. jtrstill says:

When we lived in Scotland, we could see the Forth Rail Bridge from our bedroom window. It’s a beautiful bridge, with a lot of history behind it. To this day, a train runs over it at least every 15 minutes. I have plans for my cremains to be tossed out from the bridge towards the North Sea.

Back in the late 70s I attended an open showing of British cars at which Prince Philip presided as head of a trade mission. He was uber handsome and had very nice speaking voice. I was close enough to touch him and he looked directly at me and smiled. What a lovely memory.

I read recently that Prince Harry tried to call him right after “The Interview” but Philip refused his call. Have no idea if it’s true, of course.

6. yarngal0368 says:

Good-night, sweet prince;
    And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.