Confirmation hearing for Supreme Court nominee Judge Amy Coney Barrett (Day 1)

The Senate Judiciary Committee begins up to four days of hearings Monday on President Trump’s nomination of Amy Coney Barrett to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Monday will be devoted to opening statements from members of the panel, followed by that of Barrett, who is currently a judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit.

Questioning of the nominee will begin Tuesday and last through Wednesday. Outside witnesses testify for and against Barrett on Thursday.

This entry was posted in Government, Law, Politics, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Confirmation hearing for Supreme Court nominee Judge Amy Coney Barrett (Day 1)

1. jeans2nd says:

Thank you for putting this up, Stella.
    May I please be excused? 🙂

I DVR’d the hearing and that worked out very well since I needed to go to Walmart to pick up groceries. I had watched a few Reps. but couldn’t make myself suffer through the next Dem going on and on about Obamacare. When I came back I just FF’d through the Dems droning on and on. I don’t feel like I missed anything.

I don’t have DVR, but that’s a good solution.

• czarowniczy says:

I had a doctor who was sure that Obamacare was passed to help the Dems kill off elderly Republicans, he had a long and detailed story from his research into Obamacare on how the death panels would work.

• auscitizenmom says:

That doesn’t surprise me in the least. I am sure it is all true.

• czarowniczy says:

There are docs out there who’ll try to get the family to ‘pull the plug’. they make a personal decision that too much effort is being spent on what they see as a hopeless case. There are those who may just used a tad too much morphine or whatever to ease and speed the passing of hopeless cases – as the patient died while under medical care there’s no autopsy usually.

When the Feds create those panels, like they already have in Europe, and start getting compliant MDs to sign off on state-enforced euthanasia for cases ‘wasting’ finite resources – as we saw in Italy with the COVID – we’ll be in that Brave New World.

• auscitizenmom says:

😦

• czarowniczy says:

A number of ‘futurists’ predicted that as people were allowed to get older through medical advances it would become inevitable we’d have to thin the herd.

We see young figures talking about the ‘unfairness’ of the concentration of wealth in those over 50 or so. The issue of ‘greed-lite’, the desire to enjoy what wealth brings while you’re young, not having to spend years in education and working, just partying on, and we see politicians playing to that greed.

It’s inevitable that, at some point, throwing momma under the train and keeping her goodies will be the new normal – look how the progs in school have turned history upside down and taught our kids to hate America and what it stands for, hating anyone over 50 and hastening their final departure should be a snap. There’s a natural animosity between the young and the old and skillful pols, who’ve been exploiting it for years, shouldn’t have much trouble carrying it to its ultimate conclusion.

“Too much morphine” is something that I believe is done all the time. A friend of mine died that way (according to his fiance, who is my best friend). He had melanoma that had traveled to his brain and he had an inoperable brain tumor.

• czarowniczy says:

It’s less a matter of relieving intractable physical pain to me than it is euthanasia to relieve what those paying the bills see as intractable fiscal pain.

Oh, I agree. I’m just making the point that it is already a practice. I don’t think most doctors would take a life to save money.

• czarowniczy says:

Neither do I but I’m not so sure they wouldn’t do it if it were a job requirement to make money. You wouldn’t need a lot of them, just enough reasonably compliant ones to form a committee to group-declare a patient unrecoverable. I’m sure you’d have no trouble out of a group of doctors in a given hospital finding a few who’d rationalized zapping granny…they have no problem parsing abortion laws to get around them, why not euthanasia?

Crushes Dem arguments.

• dolphinwrite says:

With her, there are 9 justices.

Yes, but the point is that the in an even 4-4 split (if she is not confirmed) the outcome of the Obamacare case would not be changed. The reason is that if there is a tie in the Supreme Court, then the judgement of the lower court stands.

What the Dems are contending is that her vote would make a difference, and it probably would not. The outcome would most likely be the same.

4. czarowniczy says:

The Republican Federal Congressional reps are all talking great things about Coney but the Democrat ones are mum.

5. dolphinwrite says:

We watched part of Monday, then I couldn’t sleep and woke up early to view. Had to get something removed from my shoulder, but turned the telly on as I walked through the door. Learning more about the confirmation process, the U.S. Constitution (May go back to college and get another degree in Constitutional Law, and how some use rhetoric while others support America.

6. dolphinwrite says:

I could be wrong about the last comment, if the person was talking about me or many on television.