General Discussion, Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Image | This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to General Discussion, Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Stellars, all….

• Morning Lucille 🙂

Pretty, pretty pics!

The top one is an eye-catcher. My favorites are the blue flowers as in the bottom pic. I try to grow them, however I am limited by very acidic soil, and those darn deer!
      Has anyone tried one of those battery electric fences or wolf urine? I have at least 400 linear feet to cover. They even devoured 3 large rhododendrons last winter/spring – and it wasn’t even that bad of a winter! Sigh… Oh well, Yesterday we had “Dawn Showers”, and today we have “Last Light Horace Temple”, an acrylic painting by John Cogan.

Stella your top pic is both beautiful and calming, reminding me of the awesomeness of God.

Have a great day everyone! 😉

• jeans2nd says:

Mornin’ GC, Stella and Stellars.
        Both yours and Stella’s look like Window Rock to me.
        L’il Bro lived in Window Rock on the Navajo Rez for years before transferring to Rehoboth.
        Beautiful scenery, beautiful people.

• Lucille says:

Good morning, G&C! That is such a beautiful painting. What a talent to be able to paint so photo-realistically. Re the deer problem, perhaps this article has something useful…

by Jessica Walliser
        Gardening with deer presents a unique set of challenges. Those of us familiar with the battle know how difficult it can be to have a beautiful garden in deer territory. The furry buggers seem to know exactly which plants are our favorites, don’t they? Over the last twenty years I’ve tended over 40 gardens as a professional horticulturist, and I’ve learned a lot about the ups and downs of gardening with deer in that time. Today, I’d like to share all of the things I’ve learned and present a four step plan for building gorgeous, nearly deer proof gardens.

• Thank you Lucille! That was very informative. I will print both the article and comments, and definitely try things starting with least expensive. I need vegetation that is deer-proof because our property is very sloped, and I can’t afford stone walls. I depend on plantings for the steep inclines, but they are too big of an area to weed-whack, and too steep to mow. Now I have some ideas to try beyond sprays that don’t last, and would be too expensive for a large area. It’s greatly appreciated!

• The Tundra PA says:

Around here, nothing but a 6 foot chain link fence will keep the moose out of your garden. So that’s what serious gardeners have.

• glendl says:

Won’t a moose just knock it down? North American Bison (Buffalo) will do that to a fence. I realize they are different animals, but they both possess strength.

• The Tundra PA says:

They don’t try to ram it and they can’t jump it. Most of the time if the garden is growing, so are lots of other easier-to-acquire food sources.

• glendl says:

I know, animals like humans will not exert more energy to achieve a goal. Part of my response came from the efforts to relocate a bison. They would move it out of the park, it would knock down the fence where it was held, travel back to the park and knock down the fence to get back in the park. It happened a couple of times, The 3d time the Rangers left the gate open so they would not have to repair the fence. The bison smashed through the fence near the gate. No more attempts to relocate them.

When the National Parks have an excess of bison, they are transferred to local Indians on their Reservations. They did not get that one.

• I hear there some great gardens up your way because of the long summer daylight. That might be an interesting post for those of us in the lower 48 to see who have not really seen them.

• The Tundra PA says:

Some things grow magnificently here, due to the long hours of sunlight each day, despite the shortness of our growing season. Other things are nearly impossible to grow.

The Alaska State Fair is known for its giant vegetable competition–thousand-pound pumpkins that require a fork lift to bring in. 125-pound cabbages. Six-foot long gourds. 40-pound beets. 150-pound watermelons. Really amazing. Do a search on “Alaska State Fair Giant Vegetables” to see photos and videos.

What you can’t grow up here without a pretty large greenhouse is a decent tomato. This Alabama girl sure does miss that!

• Lucille says:

Glad it was of help. Let us know if anything works.

Mornin’ kids!

Mornin’ everyone. Quite a day yesterday. Heat and humidity and more heat and humidity. This COVID 19 stuff is making life difficult.

I had to take Loki to the vet to get heartworm/flea meds. I needed for the vet to see her and establish her as a patient to do that. I took her to the SPCA here. They have a very good, very cost effective vet clinic. I had to wait in the car, and they came out to get her and hand me the paperwork. I waited an hour after I got there, and another hour after they took her in and then finalized the paperwork. That was two hours, sitting in 94* heat with the air conditioner running. I am not really complaining about the vet. They are all doing it here. But, it was miserable.

And, the vet actually came out to see me. Loki has a lump on the inside of her back leg at the hip. She is concerned and wants her to come back so they can biopsy it. Also, Loki had 20 (yes, 20) teeth pulled and evidently they missed one or something. I knew something looked odd, but I didn’t know what it was. Evidently the tooth broke off and left the root. Needs to come out. So, the next visit will cost at least $215. 😦 I need to get this done quickly because in a month we are supposed to make a trip to St. Augustine for a week and I have to leave her in a kennel. An expensive kennel. And, I want her to be completely healed up. The vet where I used to leave Foxie isn’t kenneling any more and would have been almost half the price. 😦

Also, I am feeling stressed because only 4 days after we get back, we are supposed to go to Key West. That is the trip that got postponed because of the hurricane last year. We didn’t really have any choice in whether to go at this time. I would have cancelled St. Augustine, but my friend has really been looking forward to it. And, I just hate having to kennel Loki again so soon. Not to mention the expense. I am sure it will work out somehow.

• Lucille says:

The same thing happened when I had to take Miss Bee in to determine why she wasn’t eating. I could not go inside the vet’s office either. Nothing seemed to be wrong with her after spending nearly $300. However, after sitting in the sun for several hours waiting for the vet to complete tests, I was ragged.

Hopefully/prayerfully Loki will be healed in time and will take being in a kennel in stride. Try to fatten her up before she goes in.

• auscitizenmom says:

I told them sitting in the sun with the car running for hours doesn’t work for me. They said I could drop her off after 8:00 and they would call me to pick her up. Better. And, as far as her eating……….she is like a little piggy. LOL She feels bigger every day.

4. czarowniczy says:

Well, our GGS’s birthday is today, he’s officially been a teenager now for 10 hours! Six years to go.

He’s been with us now for 12 years and it’s hard to believe how fast time’s flown by. He’s changed so slowly into whom he is now that I can’t remember what he looked like even last year, I have to go back and look at pictures and try to figure out if they’re all the same kid.

Beautiful starry nights…
    SOUTH AMERICA 8K

Images from Brazil, Venezuela, Guyana, Colombia, Argentina, Chile, Peru, Bolivia and Ecuador.

Some of these nicknames made me chuckle!

Michigan School Fires Popular Teacher and Varsity Baseball Coach For Saying “Trump is Our President” on Social Media
    By Cristina Laila – Published July 21, 2020 at 6:07pm