Favorite food? My favorite: Potatoes!

I like foods of all kinds, but I think that potatoes show up on my dinner table more often than any other. I like them prepared every way you can think of: mashed, fried, baked, roasted, hash browns, in potato salad, and scalloped potatoes.

My favorite variety is Yukon gold, or other yellow potato. They are good prepared almost any way you can think of. They are waxy enough for potato salads, great mashed, and I like them baked too. Sometimes russets are better for the application (like french fries), but the yellow potato is the one you will usually find in my pantry.

Here are some ways that I like to prepare them, other than baked, which is the way I eat them most often.

Roasted with cheese.

I got this idea from our friend michellc (from Oklahoma).

• Potatoes cut into chunks 1″ or 1-1/2″. Just wash and leave the skins on. As many as you can eat. Peel and slice a couple of garlic cloves.
  • Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Put some olive oil, butter and Sriracha pepper/garlic sauce in a glass baking dish, and put it into the oven until the butter melts.
  • Put the potatoes and garlic into the oil/butter/Sriracha mixture and stir to coat. Grate a generous portion of Parmesan cheese on top.
  • Bake until the potato chunks are browned and tender.

Robinson Barr Potatoes (potato gratin)

A fancy version of scalloped potatoes. Really good to accompany a roast for a special dinner. I usually make this for Christmas, with a beef rib roast.

• Peel and very thinly slice 6 medium yellow or red potatoes, and put them in a bowl of cold water.
  • Rub a 9 x 13″ or similar size gratin or baking dish with the cut surface of a garlic clove, and then coat it thoroughly with about 1 TB of softened, unsalted butter.
  • Dry the potato slices well with paper towels.
  • Starting at one end of the baking dish, place rows of potatoes, overlapping each row 1/3 with the next row. Lightly salt and pepper and sprinkle with about an ounce of freshly grated Swiss Gruyere cheese (please only use Gruyere!).
  • Starting at the opposite end of the baking dish, repeat the layering, using the remainder of the potato slices. End with salt, pepper and more cheese.
  • Pour 3/4 C of heavy cream over the casserole.
  • Bake for 20 to 30 minutes on the top shelf of a 375 degree oven.

Some people add grated nutmeg, or thyme, to this dish, but it is great just as it is. You can make more layers, but will need more of everything, and a longer baking time. The first time I served this dish to my daughter’s mother-in-law, she retrieved the baking dish and scraped every last speck of potatoes out of it. It really is that good! I never have leftovers.

Here is a dish I haven’t tried yet, but plan to.

Oven Fries — CRISPIER Than Deep-Fried

What is your favorite food, and what preparation do you like best?

This entry was posted in cooking. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Favorite food? My favorite: Potatoes!

1. shiloh1973 says:

For the first one you listed, I put a boneless, skinless chicken breast in the mix and bake it all together. Make sure to cast the chicken breast too.

2. jeans2nd says:

Gee wiz, Stella, you ask the hardest questions.
    Depends on the time of day, hunger level, mood, activity level, outdoor temperature, season, is a nap required first,….
    Cookies usually win.
    Now don’t ask what kind!
    Although, those Arby’s caramel and chocolate rate high, from time to time…

3. Menagerie says:

I’m with jeans, hard to nail down one favorite. Potato salad is way up there though. And I am very picky about it. I’m looking forward to trying potatoes in the new air fryer.

4. czarina33 says:

I like to cook down russett potatoes in water till they are almost dissolved but still have a bit of shape, add butter and salt. Sort of a potato porridge with lumps. Pure potato taste.

Czar makes sliced potatoes with skins on, sliced onions, garlic and butter wrapped in foil and baked. Sometimes sliced colored bell peppers, too. Cook in the oven or over the grill coals.

Baked potato with salsa on it. Easy, few calories.

5. czarowniczy says:

I take Yukon Gold potatoes and sweet onions, slice ’em up, put ’em in an aluminum foil bag I make, coat the lot with butter, extra virgin olive oil, onion and garlic powder and seal the bag. I bake at 350 until they’re soft enough for personal satisfaction (hint, hint) and serve hot. You can eat them straight or add toppings like crumbled bacon, sour cream, whatever.

I didn’t mention quantities as it’s dependent upon your personal tastes for the accompaniment but I personally believe that if there isn’t enough butter and olive oil puddling in the bottom of the bag I ain’t done it right. I don’t usually add salt/pepper while cooking, I prefer each individual add his/her own, but I do sprinkle Sazon Completa on mine.

I usually side a green salad so that the lettuces/greens can absorb all of the calories and cholesterol (olive oil is healthy and helps cancel butter fats) and it goes great with a porter beer served ice cold.

6. Col.(R) Ken says:

Under my limited, very limited food intake, potatoes are not on my list…….. This is driving ME Crazy!!!!!

7. JTR says:

If it’s cooked right, I’ll eat almost anything! When I was a child, I wouldn’t eat anything that touched each other on my plate, lol! Or cheese. I’ve mended my ways thanks to Mom making me eat at least one bite of everything. Cheese is now my favorite, unfortunately. Any way I can get it!

8. czarina33 says:

My mother was a cook of prepared-from-a-box. Until I met Czar I thought Betty Crocker Potatoes au gratin were good. And instant potatoes. And Minute Rice. Of course, he said he used to make Hamburger Helper a lot…