Good News!! (& happy stories), April 15, 2020

I wonder how many laps I could do – and I’m considerably younger than he is!

Thank you, fellow Michiganders!

They certainly have been keeping shipments moving.

Any good news about this thing is welcome!

That’s interesting!

Michigan rep. tells her Covid story.

Anyone remember the Mousetrap Game?

It really is springtime, even though some days it is hard to believe it!

More hopeful news.

The world marches on …

Just look at those cheeks!

So ugly that he’s cute.

Don’t think I’ll try this one.

Congratulations, Texas!

Bears repeating.

Charlie’s prayer.

Keep a smile on your face!

This entry was posted in Good news. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Good News!! (& happy stories), April 15, 2020

I just have to ask. Does the death rate from COVID-19 match the death rate from shootings in Detroit and/or Chicago?

Buck Sexton is right. And, the Demoncraps are trying their best to use this to further their gov hold over all of us.

Human babies and baby birds make me smile.

2. JTR says:

Thank you so much!
    Everyday I look forward to your good news, we all really need it.

3. hocuspocus13 says:

DORIS DAY
    🌹
    One of my favorites
    🌹
    Watch her movies
    🌹
    Love her singing

4. Menagerie says:

We brought a favorite birdhouse with us from the cabin and put it on a stand near the corner of the house. Mama Robin is nesting on three eggs, and the nest survived the terrible night Sunday. Hope to see three little hungry baby birds soon. I don’t remember ever seeing true robin’s eggs before, for all the fame of the color. I can see why it is well loved. The artist in me jumps up and down at the glorious richness and saturation of the color.

No matter how hard and ngeniously man tries, such beauty in nature can never be reproduced. I remember every spring at the cabin how I used to sit on my porch swing and look at all the green colors in my woods, from the deep almost black greed in the depths of the forest near the ground to the mossy earthy greens, the yellow green of some new leaves up high, and all the shades between. God paints bright and happy.

• Menagerie says:

This inspired me to go out and check on them, hoping to see the eggs again. Got babies instead! I mean just hatched, skin showing with some tufts of fuzz. I think that they can only be hours old, except I didn’t see any parts of the shells left. They aren’t moving at all, hopefully just tired from busting out maybe? I am excited!

I have a couple of (broken) robin’s eggs in my china cabinet. My eagle-eyed grandson found them several years ago on a walk around the neighborhood. Also some pretty feathers.

5. czarowniczy says:

Issaquena county in Mississippi is the only county in the state reporting zero COVID cases. That said it’s also the least populated county in the US east of the Mississippi (it’s also right on the river) and uses hospitals in adjacent counties. But then to a statistician…

Then there’s my county – Oakland – which has 5,576 cases, and 392 deaths.

• czarowniczy says:

Orleans Parish has 5651/244 and iots bedroom county, Jefferson Parish, has 5088/186. That’s 1.4% of Orleans and 1.2% of Jeff. Your county is 0.004% infected. I see you, raise you a case of Lysol and call.

• czarowniczy says:

Our county in MS is 0.0016 infected.

• czarowniczy says:

US infection rate (using latest figures from DHH and Bureau of Census population guesstimates) is .002% while using lowest 2019-4 Apr 2020 DHH flu guesstimate is 0.119; using the highest guesstimate it’s 0.170%…where’s the panic?

Like you said, the stats don’t mean much unless we know exactly what percentage of the population tests positive.

• czarowniczy says:

There seem to be some trends though…especially in those cities with large…populations.

What I love is that there’s no mandatory reporting of flu cases to the CDC, what stats they get are from voluntary submissions and modeling.

6. czarowniczy says:

And speaking of statistics, there seems to be some jiggering of the numbers and some pushback when it comes to correcting the problem.

There are doctors in teaching positions, even in noted liberal colleges, who believe that the COVID is far more widespread than is being published and what we are seeing is the tip of the iceberg and reacting to it without considering how really big the problem is. The part we’re seeing is showing that while we’re doing this testing we’re seeing a lot of people testing positive who’ve had exposure enough to develop trestable antibodies but suffered few, if any symptoms. Now the panic’s starting to die down cooler heads in academia and the DHHS are calling for a national testing program to see how many people have antibodies but no symptoms.

To those who poo-poo the idea I point out that the Chinese have just announced they are going to do just that, test large segments of otherwise healthy population to see how many have antibodies without having symptoms. Now if we look back we see that the Chinese have been extremely cautious about releasing anything related to the virus, ‘almost’ as if they had already completed the study before they even hinted it was going to be done. For the COVID the Chinese announce the cluster of 40ish sufferers on 31 December; they identify the novel virus on 7 January and give the world the virus’s sequenced genome on 11 January. On 23 January (slight lag there), 3 weeks after the first virus death was reported and a week before the WHO (led by a director with with direct connections to China) declares a ‘global public-health emergency’ – WHO didn’t declare it a pandemic until March 11th. A bit quick on the results, eh?

So, Chinese reporting is far from transparent and it looks heavily as if they have all of their ducks in a row, plucked and cooked before they make any announcement. Now they are going to test chunks of the population for antibodies but I almost can guarantee they’ve already done that and are reviewing the results. They’ll probably release them before the US, for propaganda purposes, and they may well show the virus spread far more widely with fewer effects on the infected than we realized.

7. jeans2nd says:

Visiting here first thing every morning and again in the p.m. is my good news every day.
    Plus you all don’t call me names and demean me when an idea is bizarre.

That recycling plastic is very good news. Reading the article, it is still too expensive, but the Euro-weenies have partnered up with the Deplorable Americans, so new ideas cannot be far behind.
    After all, we might be profligate spenders, but we never waste our money.

Thanks for keeping our spirits up, Stella and Stellars.