Good News!! (& happy stories) March 20, 2020

With all of the bad news every day, I thought it was time to re-erect a feature that I attempted to start in 2017, at least until the really good times return. We need to hear the good things about our country and its people in addition to all of the darkness we now face.

I don’t know about you, but I have been getting overloaded with stories about the Chinese virus (otherwise known as the novel Coronavirus), illness, death, falling stock prices and government gone mad. I have the urge to crawl into bed and pull the covers over my head!

So, here we go!

Although the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago has been closed during quarantines, the animal caretakers took advantage of their closure by taking some of their resident rockhopper penguins for a little field trip.

A regular at a Texas restaurant surprised the staff by tipping $9,400.

The generous customer added a note saying, ‘Hold tip to pay your guys over the next few weeks.’ The money will be evenly split, with each staff member getting about $300.

Hunters in Missouri donate venison to food banks in their state.

350,000 pounds of meat will feed a lot of people.

Proof that not all celebrities are nasty and selfish.

Positive news for our furry friends!

I didn’t know about this. Did you?

Part of our future!

NASA Fixes Mars Lander By Telling It to Hit Itself With a Shovel

NASA’s InSight lander, which is currently on the surface of Mars, has faced some unexpected problems during its mission to explore and study the planet.

Namely, a digging probe that was built to burrow beneath the surface like a jackhammer got stuck because Mars’ soil is clumpier than scientists expected, Popular Science reports.

After a few failed attempts to get it out, NASA had to get a bit creative. Ultimately, it freed the probe up by giving it a solid thwack with InSight’s shovel.

Seen on Facebook, some Good News!

Manchester Evening News

Hundreds of primary school pupils took to their playground to perform for older residents isolating from coronavirus in the flats opposite.

Almost 200 people in years 4, 5 and 6 at Silver Springs Primary Academy sang songs from their school grounds so that the elderly residents living in Kendal House sheltered housing could watch them and listen.

They put a sign up outside the Stalybridge school beforehand urging them to ‘watch this space 2pm today’.

And they’ve also been busy writing letters and drawing pictures for the residents – who are facing months of isolation because they are deemed among the most vulnerable – urging them to ‘be happy not sad’ and to ‘think of all the good things’.

Did you know that Geckos can run on water?

And a tribute to Spring! So much to look forward to.

This entry was posted in Good news. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Good News!! (& happy stories) March 20, 2020

1. czarina33 says:

Love this! Glad you shared the lizard, as i have always laughed at the basilisk lizard’s run. Purring cats are a great blessing, unless you are allergic… so adopt as needed! Czar has always believed in the gardening remedy “hit it with a shovel”. Love all the people who aere sharing and giving! Thank you all.

My daughter reports:

________________ College is going to refund room/board (prorated) for early closure! I didn’t expect that but I feel supported and pleased. Good for them.

Of course that should cover about 1/2 of our current cereal and milk expenditure . . .

• jeans2nd says:

Our town’s university (formerly college) caters to the very rich. (Mom’s alma mater, i attended for 3-1/2 yrs) And all the snooty rich kids have gone home! Or somewheres (who cares?)
      No more rowdy spring booze (pot?) parties. Yippee!

This is a great thread. I have been noticing reports of all kinds of kindnesses being done for strangers, even people setting up organizations to make sure people who need help can get it by neighbors, etc. I love all the ways we can help, too, like buying gift cards for restaurants. I have been saying that this situation may give us a reset in our culture that the liberals have tried to pull us away from, a reset that turns us inward to our families and taking care of ourselves.

• auscitizenmom says:

I talked to my son yesterday. He said they realized they were already set up to isolate themselves. My DIL is homeschooling the girls and my son is working from home, which he does occasionally, but his company decided everyone who could should work from home indefinitely.

That’s good. I wish my son-in-law could work from home. He does artwork for an advertising agency, and most of their files are too large to work on from home. They are trying to find a solution.

• Gary says:

Just a thought, a hosting suite might make it possible to sign into the companies system from home and run the files. We do this every morning with our largest customer to print their daily orders.

I’m sure they are looking into something like that; at least that is what my daughter told me.

• jeans2nd says:

Perhaps suggest Citrix?
              We used it way back before the flood (2004), and it worked great, easy to install, easy to use. Our Engineers and shop guys both used it, as did we (IT).
              As Sen Loeffler bought Citrix after she dumped her stocks, it must still be going strong.

4. Menagerie says:

My grandson has a love of penguins. He showed up over here yesterday in his penguin pajamas, which he refused to change out of. His mom showed him that video a few days ago and he was so excited.

Love this thread Stella.