Happy Pi Day!

Reference.com

The history of pi dates back to the ancient Babylonians and Egyptians. Babylonians estimated pi as 3.125, and the Egyptians approximated pi to be 3.1605. However, it was the Greek mathematician Archimedes that calculated pi to be between 223/71 and 22/7. A general estimate for pi is 22/7 or 3.14.

In 1706, William Jones was the first to introduce a Greek letter for pi, which was later adopted by the mathematician Euler to represent the ratio between a circle’s circumference to its area. Later mathematicians extended the number of decimal places in this irrational number through rigorous calculations. In the computer age, pi has been estimated to its two-quadrillionth digit.

Some mathematical problems that feature pi are the area of a circle, a circle’s circumference, arc length and the different surface area and volume formulas for a cone, sphere and cylinder. In mathematics, the ratio between a circle’s circumference and diameter is given as pi.

This entry was posted in Hobbies & General Interest, Holidays, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Happy Pi Day!

1. czarowniczy says:

Strange as it is I’ll use pi every now and then in a computation, volume mostly, and I’ll wonder how someone sat down and figured it out. I just have difficulty thinking about someone sitting down, looking at a circle and wondering about what relationship the diameter had to the circumference; then again, that probably goes a long way to explaining my performance in math class.

• Col.(R) Ken says:

Czar, it’s Math, Math, Math……..

• czarowniczy says:

I know a lot of artillerymen and engineers who discovered the job entailed math – BIG surprise. I remember their collective sighs of relief in arty when they dumped the slipstick for the handheld calculator.

2. czarina33 says:

So, I have never used Pi since I took my last math class. However, I have made many pies, and tonight, in honor of 3.14 day, I made Czar’s favorite, Key Lime Pie with whipped cream!

Speaking of baking, I have used Pi to calculate the surface area of a round baking dish to determine if it is suitable to substitute for a square or rectangular baking dish.

Yum! Key Lime Pie with whipped cream!

• czarina33 says:

I could never find any use for math beyond addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. I use those to do anything I need to do. Calculators make it faster, but I keep my skills by doing the work on paper. Couldn’t see the point of algebra. Still use geometry to figure out carpet, fabric and paint quantities.