Gift Week, Day Four – Gifts We Remember

What is the best Christmas gift you ever received? Which is the most nostalgic? Which ones do you remember from your childhood?

This is one of the first gifts that I remember receiving – a marionette of Princess Summer-Fall-Winter-Spring, from the Howdy-Doody Show.

princess-summer-fall

The best gift I ever received was a new car (1985 Pontiac Grand Am).

pontiac_85grandam

The most nostalgic gifts I remember aren’t ones that I received, but gifts that my new husband and I made for our friends and family the first Christmas we were married. We had very little money, so it was both challenging and fun. Friends of ours were just as broke, and got their “Charlie Brown” Christmas tree from the neighborhood lot for a couple of bucks. We all chipped in to make the decorations. Lots of fun!

Best of all, just a few weeks after Christmas, we were blessed by the birth of our daughter. A never forgotten and best gift ever!

This entry was posted in Family, Hobbies & General Interest, Holidays, Nostalgia, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Gift Week, Day Four – Gifts We Remember

Two presents I remember are a Miss Revlon doll, which I still have, and a rabbit fur pillbox hat and muff that I only wore a few times, since I lived in Florida. Still, I treasured both presents.

2. czarina33 says:

I remember several gifts well, but some not for good reasons. The chemistry set seemed like a great idea but, altho I messed with it several times it never seemed interesting. Really wanted a guitar when I was 17, but put it down after 3 days because it hurt my fingers too much. The mohair sweaters (one light pink, the other light purple) I wore for several days each year for two or 3 years, but it was Miami after all and did not stay cold enough for long, and they went out of style you know.

What really was good were books. I remember Robinson Crusoe, Treasure Island, Little Women, Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden mysteries, and so many others, usually three or four a year. Started reading them as soon as the wrapping paper was picked up. Read them over and over across the years.

Book are definitely some of the best gifts. My daughter was an avid reader, and I had the most fun picking out books for her for Christmas.

• auscitizenmom says:

I remember somebody from up North sending me a mohair sweater. I couldn’t wear it because it itched so bad. I finally made a shirt to wear under it, but even then, it made me itch. Besides that, it was in Florida. 🙄 I have to admit it was cooler in the winter back then, but not much.

• czarowniczy says:

And then there is you,my Christmas gift that’s lasted 40 years.

Gifts I remember….

From my paternal grandparents…a pink plastic elephant coin bank (my sister got a blue one). Grandpa and my uncles gave me pennies to put in the trunk, press the tail, and then watch them disappear into the body. I kept that throughout my teen years but don’t remember now what happened to it. Probably went to the Goodwill as a result of an unsentimental moment.

My mother’s brother (Mom and he were great pals), while he was in the Pacific on a salvage ship during World War II, had arranged to send me a blue gingham-covered plumply stuffed cat. That one wore out I played with it so much.

Then after the war, Uncle George was living with my grandparents in southern California and he gave me a light brown fuzzy Teddy bear…which I still have…moth-eaten, missing the original eyes which Mom replaced with black buttons and his mouth likely kissed off but now sporting a red embroidered smiling mouth Mom also sewed on.

Then there is a small treasure of a Christmas card sent from Japan where my dear friend Bob was stationed with the USMC Air Corps in 1961, telling me he missed me. That’s in a well-worn scrapbook along with other touching mementos of my life.

4. JTR says:

I remember when I was about 13, getting a Panasonic portable record player! It ran on more batteries than I could afford, but I had a great time playing my favorite records in the back yard. Lying in the grass on warm summer days with a good book and my fave music.
    One day, I came home late from school, (Band practice), and my little 6 yo brother had taken the entire thing apart!
    I was heartbroken!