Townsends: Biscuits & Gravy – Where do they come from?

If you haven’t ever watched Townsends’ videos about 18th century cooking etc, this is a good one to start with. I pushed the video forward to the biscuit part, because the beginning is about an event from two years ago.

These guys can be a little boring sometimes, but they are so sincere and try to be historically accurate. They work at it!

Last year they got bombed politically (!!) when they published a video titled, “A Dessert Fit For The Washingtons” – Orange Fool”. You can imagine. Poor John was so upset and disheartened that he did another video about the comments.

They often do videos in response to questions from viewers, and they do a live segment (From the Nutmeg Tavern) every Friday at 4:00 pm ET.

This entry was posted in baking, cooking, History, Hobbies & General Interest, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Townsends: Biscuits & Gravy – Where do they come from?

1. JTR says:

I remember when I was little, my Nanny would cook breakfast. She always made biscuits. She would fry eggs, and either bacon or sausage. The grease from the meat was always made into gravy. I thought she invented it! I miss my Nanny. She was the sweetest person you could ever know! Grandmas Rock!

2. czarina33 says:

I’ll look in the oldest Picayune Creole Cookbook I can find (the one in pur pantry is only from the turn of the 20th century). But, really, what difference does it make, so long as we can make OUR FAVORITE gravy, whether with sausage, bacon, drippings, and OUR FAVORITE biscuits (so far, I haven’t made any really great biscuits, but I practice so rarely).

• JTR says:

My Grandpa taught me how to make bisquits! Back during the depression, Nanny worked the night shift, so he would get up and make bisquits for the kids (4) breakfast and lunch. He made the best ones in the world! Using lard! I still make lardy ones now and then just to make a tribute to my Pa!

The depression days taught people a lot. My dad ran a Walgreen’s lunch counter for a bit during the depression. He made great coffee, anything for breakfast, soup and baked beans.

• Menagerie says:

My husband’s grandmother passed on great recipes from the depression era. Buttermilk pie and chess pie are a couple I remember. Brown sugar pie, although I know that one got served less probably.

My husband and all his siblings love beans and cornbread. They were raised on that and biscuits and gravy, meat optional. Hard to get cheaper than that.

Last weekend at Siblings Day they prepared a whole bunch of their mother’s favorite recipes, and I am betting most came from that era or from people who learned to cook during that time.

We had chicken and dumplings, mashed potatoes, smothered cabbage (OMG I love it more than anything), fresh tomatoes, broccoli casserole, slaw. Lots of desserts from many decades ago. And none of it was anything but cheap comfort food made by mamas who had little to do with.

• Menagerie says:

The first summer I was married my husband took me to stay with his grandmother several days a week while he worked. She taught me most of what I know about making biscuits, pie crusts, fried pies, roasts, and all kinds of other stuff. I was a very, very slow learner though.

My biggest goal for the first several years of my marriage was to make good biscuits and gravy. It has always been a big deal in our family, and used to be the preferred meal for Christmas. We had a big breakfast after getting home from Midnight Mass and opening presents.

Several years ago the women in the family stopped that tradition because of the little kids. My sons and my husband were madder than hornets for a couple of years. I tried to tell them it was time for them to do that in their own homes if they wanted, not drag babies all over hell and half of Georgia in the wee hours of Christmas morning.

• czarowniczy says:

Lard is THE secret to good food…that’s why the food Nazis at the Center for Science in the Public Interest and their bitter little minions the ‘nutritionists’ don’t want us to have it.

I buy it in 5 gallon buckets, fry with it make PIE CRUSTS with it…put it on a plastoc sheet and roll around in it. Try making french fries at home and use lard. It makes pie crusts super flaky, all crusts for baking or frying. You’re right, it makes biscuits BISCUITS, not those tepid little flour hockey pucks that they pass of as biscuits. Lard is good and if used in/with moderation is not harmful, those food fascists with a taste-ax to grind need to pork butt out.

These guys are sweethearts…ordinary folk doing something they love. I aways enjoy them.

Biscuits and gravy is very big in Washington state and idaho. We never had that dish at home or at relatives for the holidays. If I order it at a restaurant now, the biscuits MUST be light and the sausage gravy spiced up…nothing bland, please.

• czarowniczy says:

Southern biscuits with soppin’ gravy’s a tradition. Czarina’s always after me to make red-eye gravy. That with aigs (those are apparently ‘eggs’ in Oklahoma) is a great and filling breakfast.