Baking on a cold Winter day

I know I shouldn’t do it, I really do, but baking when it is so very cold outside not only warms the stomach, but also warms up the house and makes it smell so lovely!

Today I made a recipe that is relatively new to me, but always delicious, using the warming flavors of cinnamon, apples, brown sugar and maple (I use maple syrup in place of vanilla). All of that brown sugar instead of white makes it moist and delicious. It is really more of a dessert than a coffee cake.

Apple Coffee Cake with Crumble Topping and Brown Sugar Glaze (Food Network)

Banana bread is always good and easy to make, and I seem to have overripe bananas most weeks. This is the recipe I use. I leave out the nuts and vanilla, and double the amount of cinnamon. You could also add chocolate chips or cinnamon chips instead of the nuts, and sprinkle the top with cinnamon sugar, as is done in the photo:

Flour’s Famous Banana Bread

Both of these recipes call for sour cream, and I recommend it, although you could use plain Greek yogurt. Since they are leavened with baking soda, you must have some kind of acid in order to get a good rise, which the sour cream provides.

The next thing I want to try is an oat bread, leavened with either yeast or baking powder/soda. I found this recipe, which looks good. It is a yeast bread that uses maple syrup as a flavoring, and is baked in an iron skillet:

Maple Oat Skillet Bread

King Arthur Flour has a recipe for a quick bread that sounds good, but it calls for their “Irish-Style Flour”. They say you can substitute white whole wheat flour. It also calls for buttermilk powder, which a lot of people won’t have in their pantry (I do!):

As in the previous recipe, it is flavored with maple syrup (quite a lot). The recipe also calls for baking in a mini loaf pan for 20-25 minutes, but I imagine you could bake it in a regular loaf pan for about an hour, or as muffins for a bit less time than for the mini loafs.

Maple Oat Soda Bread

This looks good too. I’m including this video mainly because Jenny makes me smile, and this cinnamon raisin bread sounds delicious!

As always, your comments and suggestions are encouraged and appreciated!

This entry was posted in baking, cooking, Family, Hobbies & General Interest, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Baking on a cold Winter day

1. Menagerie says:

I’m throwing in my old standby again, but I’ll be back later to enjoy this post more.

3 cups all purpose flour
    3 Tbs brown sugar (I use half that)
    1 Guinness or any other bottled beer
    1 Tbs melted butter

Stir well and pour into greased loaf pan then top with melted butter. Bake at 400 until toothpick comes out clean about 35 minutes usually in my oven.

If I’m having something really hearty like beef stew or roast I use Guinness. For a milder bread I like Belgian ale.

2. The Tundra PA says:

Stella, that apple coffee cake looks divine! If I close my eyes, I can taste it, just melting in my mouth… ummmmm… When your eyes are closed, there are no calories, right?

3. czarina33 says:

Our oven broke in October. We have had nothing except what bakes in the toaster oven since then, except what we can buy from the bakery section at the food store. The plan is the repair parts will arrive at the shop today, and the repair will occur on Monday. I would bake a fruit pie if I could.

I can actually bake a pie in my toaster oven (Cuisinart convection). Any dish that is smaller than 12 inches. I baked banana bread and lots of other things (including bread) in my toaster oven when my oven was broken.

4. lovely says:

I went out to lunch with a friend and she brought me some Rice Krispes treats so I hope that counts for something 🙂 !

5. Menagerie says:

Here’s another quick bread recipe. I found this one a few days ago and saved it to try out soon. It sure looks good.

6. Menagerie says:

This one uses yeast but it sure looks good. I took a turn from my fascination with German cooking and I am currently back into Irish stuff again. When it gets wet and cold the Irish have the stuff to deal with it, you know? I can’t tell you how much I recommend a good Guinness stew with warm bread in this weather. I believe that is one of the very best meals I have ever had.

7. Menagerie says:

Okay, last one and I’ll quit hogging the post. When I was a little girl we went into this certain bakery a couple times a month. We always got a gingerbread man and my mama almost always bought Irish soda bread.

No matter how many kinds of breads I bake, I remember the taste of that bread from my childhood, just taken out of the plastic bag and eaten. We used to get salt rising bread too. I have never tried to make salt rising bread. I may have to look that one up too.