A Sunday of Joy

advent-joy

This third Sunday of Advent, we rejoice as the celebration of Christ’s birth comes ever closer, as we eagerly anticipate Christmas.

Luke 3:15-18

The people were waiting expectantly and were all wondering in their hearts if John might possibly be the Messiah.

John answered them all, “I baptize you with water. But one who is more powerful than I will come, the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

His winnowing fork is in his hand to clear his threshing floor and to gather the wheat into his barn, but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.”

And with many other words John exhorted the people and proclaimed the good news to them.

This entry was posted in Holidays, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to A Sunday of Joy

1. NC Nana says:

Good morning,

What a lovely way to start the day. Thank you for posting this hymn.

Stella, don’t know if I have said this before, but one of the things that I love about your site is that you and your commenters have sooo many beautiful pictures and sooo many beautiful, peaceful, restful, and encouraging songs. We all need a break from the world sometimes.

****

12 This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of the Lord’s people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God. 13 Because of the service by which you have proved yourselves, others will praise God for the obedience that accompanies your confession of the gospel of Christ, and for your generosity in sharing with them and with everyone else. 14 And in their prayers for you their hearts will go out to you, because of the surpassing grace God has given you. 15 Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift! II Corinthians 9

Thank you, NC Nana! I’m pleased to provide a little beauty in your day.

• lovely says:

Morning Stella, I echo NC Nana’s post. WordPress is fickle with my likes, most often I can’t like your original posts, I don’t know why, I hit the like button and a white box springs up and then disappears. Anyhow considered your original posts liked by me 🙂 they are always either informative, inspiring or both.

• NC Nana says:

Good morning Lovely and Stella,

Since Lovely talked about WordPress issues, I should take this opportunity to mention I don’t use WordPress. I just use the e-mail function of Stella’s site and e-mail my comments in.

Since I don’t use WordPress the site doesn’t allow me to Like anything because I don’t have a WordPress account to log into.

I am one of those commenters who is just in the back ground. I assume Stella’s site gets recognition for the amount of time I have pages open etc. in the all important Google stats. Stella just can’t see my name and other personal information.

The e-mail function does not have any of the little editing tools Word Press has either so I can’t put little symbols etc. As young mothers say today to their children: I have to “use my words”.

Like children even when I am not using my words I am out here observing and reading. What I see on this sight over all I really LIKE. It is really a pleasant place to come and spend time with some good comments on issues of the day from everybody. I keep coming back regularly to read, see, and listen even when my schedule does not permit me time to e-mail in my comments. Speaking of schedule I have some volunteer work to finish up before I finish up the family details for Christmas.

I love you all.

2. NC Nana says:

Stella,

Don’t know if you are aware or not, but when I clicked on the “Joyful Joyful We Adore Thee” video the message below came up. It was not a problem in that I was able to listen to the hymn. I was just surprised.

I have never seen it before and I watch a lot of YT videos on all sites I visit.

Just a side note, when I am going to another site from the primary one I am reading I always right click and open the secondary site in another tab or another window. That way I don’t lose my place in the primary site I am reading.

****Message that popped up when I clicked on the video.******

Video unavailable
    Watch this video on YouTube.
    Playback on other websites has been disabled by the video owner.

I have seen that message many times. I should have checked it before using it in today’s post.

By the way, if you click on the YouTube link, it automatically opens another window.

• NC Nana says:

Good morning Stella,

You are right. I just tested clicking on *** Watch this video on YouTube*** A new window did open without right clicking.

I am guessing it is how you have your site set up. The Lucianne site opens a new window on every hop to another site or even another page on their own site. But sites like Citizen Free Press take you directly to another site if the article is not embedded in their site. … … …. Interesting.

Have you ever seen this version from Sister Act 2?

• NC Nana says:

The actors in this video are very talented. However, having Whoopi in the scene just spoils it for me. I think more about all of her nastiness on issues than what is showing in the particular video.

Sometimes I think it is a shame that “entertainment” isn’t just entertainment any more. Then I think I am thankful to know what the actors really think behind the false mask of “entertainment”. I am just not into making them rich, popular, most viewed etc. – – Although I must admitted I did click on this “click bate” because someone else’s face was on the “headline page”.

We went to a funeral Saturday morning that had an all black, swaying, Gospel singing, hand clapping, Praise God for taking this Saint home choir. It was truly a time of worship. Even though I have heard a lot about Whoopi’s personal views I don’t remember her ever praising God, Jesus, or the Holy Spirit.

All this is being said by a sinner saved by the blood of Christ so I am feeling like I should have taken the time to do a look up on what Whoopi says about her beliefs. Then I think “ye shall be known by your fruits”. A lot of those fruits have been simply vile. In fact anger and vile seem to be her “brand” when she is not acting.

Bet you never thought to hear this response back. It all came spilling out of my fingers as I typed.

Actually, I did expect at least one response like this, because conservatives dislike Whoopi.

I certainly don’t support her political beliefs, but I think she is pretty good as an actor. I have a cousin who is a professional dancer and actor who lives in LA. He was asked who was the nicest celebrity he had ever worked with, and he picked Whoopi (he is in Sister Act 2). He has worked with many celebrities, including Robin Williams, Michael Jackson, Madonna (he was one of the young dancers on the Blonde Ambition Tour-he says she has an excellent work ethic, but he was one of the guys who sued her over Truth or Dare), Paula Abdul, and many more.

I went back and looked at the YT video, and the question actually was “Who was my fave performer to work with and why?” He said that what stood out for him was that she was extraordinarily grateful, and funny, and present, and accessible and just happy to be where she was – a normal human being, and not buying into her own legend or story.

I don’t know about her religious beliefs, but she is (according to the internet) a Catholic, and her father (Robert James Johnson Jr) is a minister, but left the family when she was a baby. Her birth name is Caryn Elaine Johnson.

Then again, she has said things like this:

“I just know I am Jewish. I practise nothing. I don’t go to temple, but I do remember the holidays. Religion is a lot of work, it’s exhausting. So I keep it simple, I have a pretty good relationship with God. We talk.”

She was on that PBS show about our roots, and she has no Jewish ancestry at all.

Honestly, I think she tells God what to do, or at least approves of religion when it supports what she already believes.

• NC Nana says:

Hi Stella,

Even people who routinely commit heinous acts can be thought of as charming. Consider the serial killer, Ted Bundy. He was known for his charisma and good looks. He charmed women into going to another location, then brutally murdered them.

While I don’t believe Whoopi has ever done anything that approaches Ted Bundy’s heinous acts, I bring up this extreme example of a recognized evil person, to suggest people can be charming just to get what they want.

Even though your cousin said Whoopi “was … extraordinarily grateful, and funny, and present, and accessible and just happy to be where she was – a normal human being, and not buying into her own legend or story.” I think Whoopi is smart and sly enough to use charm to make subordinate actors “think” she is “nice”. Keep in mind she is an actress.

Using the example of the video above, what did Whoopi do? Not much. Every once in a while you see a quick shot of her. The rest of the video is about the singer and dancers. Using your cousin as an example, he was probably happy to dance his heart out for the “nice” lead actor. Not just because he was hoping for the success of the show but in part because the lead actor was “nice”.

I have known of Whoopi for years and years. (Long before the View.) This is the first time I can remember anyone referring to her as being nice.

The reason I spoke of being known by your fruit, the negative image is all that I know about Whoopi.

When I talked about the “mask” of “entertainment” in my mind I was thinking of 2 Corinthians 11:14. “Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light”.

In 2004 Billy Graham wrote:

“ … the Bible doesn’t say Satan is an angel of light; it says he only masquerades as an angel of light. In other words, sometimes Satan puts on a disguise (as it were), and makes it look like he actually stands for good instead of evil. When the devil offered to feed Jesus by turning rocks into bread, he was masquerading as one who wanted to do good–or as an angel of light (see Matthew 4:1-11).

People are perfectly capable of putting on a mask to achieve what they want. As you said Whoopi is “pretty good as an actor”.

So, bottom line for me is, now I have heard of a person who worked with Whoopi once on a single production. They thought well of her. I compare this against years and years of hearing negative quotes attributed to her. I think the scale is still on the negative side. Having her in the video spoiled it for me. Too bad for the singer and other actors because I will never watch the video again. – – Back to I wouldn’t give Whoopi the view count for even so much as one click on a “free” video much less pay for anything that included her.

I liked her in many of her movies. Because you don’t agree with her point of view (which I don’t) doesn’t mean that her entire life and every accomplishment should be negated, in my opinion. You, of course, believe otherwise.

As for my cousin, he is now 50 years old (hardly a child) who has been in the business, living in Los Angeles, New York, and Milan, for a long time now (since the late 1980’s). He’s very savvy and hardly a celebrity worshipper. As for her slyness, she has no reason to “pretend” to be nice to subordinates. What would be in it for her? By the way, he’s always happy to dance his heart out – for a paycheck and himself. That’s what pro dancers do. If the others on the set are easy to get along with, so much the better.

Frankly, unless I learn much more about her, I won’t be calling her Satan, or equating her to Ted Bundy.

ADD: I’ll just go back now and watch the video again, which I find to be very “joyful”, and not at all spoiled by a few minutes of Ms Goldberg’s face.