Jeff Sessions is OUT as Attorney General

Los Angeles Times

Atty. Gen. Jeff Sessions has resigned, ending a tortured relationship with President Trump and opening what could be historic fight over the sprawling criminal investigation that has clouded his White House tenure.

In a letter delivered to the White House, Sessions wrote that he was submitting his resignation at the request of President Trump, who has been highly critical of his attorney general since he recused himself last year from overseeing investigation into Russia’s interference in the 2016 election.

Sessions wrote that he had been honored to serve as attorney general and sought to uphold the rule of law. “I came to work at the Department of Justice everyday determined to do my duty and serve my country,” he wrote. “I have done so to the best of my ability.”
Trump long had wanted Sessions gone but he resisted forcing him out until after the midterm election. Session’s resignation almost certainly gets ahead of his being fired by the president.

This entry was posted in Government, News, Politics, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Jeff Sessions is OUT as Attorney General

1. hocuspocus13 says:

…and it begins 👏👏👏

3. michellc says:

I hope Rosenstein is next, but not until he’s forced to testify.

I also hope our President now knows more of who he can and can’t trust now.

4. tessa50 says:

I listen to Trump. I always thought Sessions was gone after the mid-terms. It will be interesting to see what else he will do. I don’t put much faith in the investigations or releasing unredacted papers. I don’t believe anything will happen to any top people on either side. But if there are people that are incompetent or anything else, and Trump can fire them, I think he will now. The leash is off.

Many months ago there was an article at AmericanThinker, I believe, which was written by someone who said he was a good friend of Sessions and had known him for dozens of years.

My impression of what the man said is something along the lines of Sessions having a character flaw not necessarily shown to many but that his friends know about. That flaw is AVOIDANCE. He tends to run away from things which are a tad too difficult for him and will find reasons as to why he does this which might sound quite legit. Rather than not taking on a position in which he suspects he’ll be inadequate, he will take the job and handle those things he’s really good at, but lay the other stuff aside and simply not deal with it.

Sessions has certainly proven the author right.

• Menagerie says:

I agree. I don’t know if that’s what is going on with him or not, but it sure makes sense. President Trump has made his expectations clear and I never saw anything change with Sessions. I can’t think of anything about his performance as AG that recommends him.

• trumpismine says:

There are people who just want to be liked in all walks of life. I for one wanted to believe he was a good guy. It may be the best thing for him in his golden years to wade to shore from the swamp and the scrutiny of his peers.

I have no dislike for Jeff Sessions. He’s a nice man, but ineffectual. I wish him well.

• Lucille says:

Me, either. He was as a Senator and is now a sweet Southern gentleman who did excellent work in the past prosecuting miscreants. Doesn’t make him a bad person or part of the “Deep State.” He was merely out of his depth in his role as AG…it way too huge a responsibility.

• Lucille says:

After Sessions recused himself from any Russia-related issue, I rather went along with it thinking, as so many others did, that he and President Trump were banding together to fool people into believing they were on the outs so Sessions could fly under the radar. An “Art of War” kind of thing that the President admires.

But at the back of my mind was the thought that our President may like to keep people off balance, but would he actually lie and visibly be annoyed at Sessions’ recusal if it was just an act. A tad too duplicitous to me.

So I sat back, making no further comment, saying to myself that time would tell. And it has.

6. czarowniczy says:

About %^$#@*& time, now let’s see if he slinks back to Alabama and gets a rocking chair on the porch, where he belongs. He’s had a rather Pillsbury Doughboyish political career, the slow loris of the politico-judicial forest.

RIP, Jeff, let’s hope that The Donald can get a Attorney General that has his and our back. He leaves way too late, about February 10, 2017 wold have been ideal, as the POTUS could have used an activist AttyGen instead of this retreaded DixiecRAT. Let’s get the ball rolling.

I’m sad…..but glad he is out.

8. I was always tought to never say bad about anyone. So, Good. Good.

Jeff, don’t let the screen door hit you on the a%% on the way out.

That is as kind as I can be to his stupid, cowardly a&&.

9. I hope Jeff Sessions never sits on a bench again. America doesn’t deserve him. I hope he sits on a swing chair on a porch from now on. And I don’t even have a swing chair, or a porch. Jeff can go screw himself, in whatever manner he chooses.

• Look, I mean, America deserves some really bad stuff to happen to it, but it doesn’t deserve Jeff Sessions. We’re not quite that depraved. We don’t deserve that a&&hole.

I seriously hope he retires and winds up in poverty and homeless.

• lovely says:

Wooly we disagree on Sessions.

My opinion. Sessions remained in a pre-Trump world and he is a prosecutor who has blinders on. Slow and steady doesn’t always win the race. An attorney with no agenda given the massive mountain of crap piled on his desk before he even walked in the door is going to get lost in forever dotting the i’s and crossing the T’s.

I still do not for a minute buy President Trump’s anger over Session’s recusing himself from the Russian Collusion quagmire. Sessions said in his confirmation hearing that he would do exactly that, recuse himself from any case that involved the Trump campaign because he himself was involved in the Trump campaign. That is the law. Sessions would have no legitimacy residing over such a case.

Again where Sessions made his mistake was living in a pre-Trump world. There is no legitimate evidence of Russian collusion with the Trump campaign, so there is no investigation at the present time.” That should have been the DOJ’s answer. The be all and end all of the Russian Hoax.