Do You Remember September 5, 1972?

Repeat from September, 2016.

WeeWeed just posted an article from the NYT, describing how two of the widows of men who were killed in Munich, as members of the Israeli Olympic team, after twenty years, finally see the photos taken at the scene, and learn about – and view – the torture and death of their husbands, Yossef Romano and Andre Spitzer.  Read HERE

munich1972

The following is a post that I did a while ago.  It seems fitting that we discuss what happened again now.

Seen on Facebook:

On September 5, 1972, the Munich Olympics were transformed into a site of terror. The team of Israeli Athletes were taken hostage by Palestinian terrorists, and 11 men lost their lives.

The games were held a short distance from the Dachau Concentration Camp where millions of innocent men, women and children were murdered by the Nazis because they were Jewish. The Israeli Olympians toured the Dachau Concentration Camp as part of their Olympic schedule and news anchor Jim Mckay took note of that visit and commented that the presence of an Israeli team at an Olympics in Germany shows that “the world has come a long way.. since the Holocaust…”

But has it?

…………………………..

Terrorism increasingly threatens the lives of people of all faiths, nationalities and backgrounds around the world.

It is incumbent upon us to protect the memory of these Jewish men and the message their murder sends to the world: that we cannot afford to stay silent or inactive in the face of those who seek to control and destroy their fellow men through hatred, fear and violence.

Terrorism is an issue that must transcend politics, religion, nationality or ideology – it touches the very essence of our common humanity.

……………………………

Terrorism is wrong – not some of the time – but all of the time – not in some places – but in all places. Terrorists and their sponsors are savage criminals who must be condemned and punished – not legitimized and rewarded.

This video is the story of the massacre at the 1972 Olympics in Munich:

A Palestinian terrorist group called “Black September” attacked the dorm rooms of Israeli athletes at the Munich Olympic Games, killing two in the initial attack and taking nine hostage. All nine hostages were later killed.  Three Black September terrorists who took part in the Munich Massacre were released by the West German government hijacked and threatened destruction of an airliner in October 1972.israel-i-stand-with-israel1

This entry was posted in History, Terrorism, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Do You Remember September 5, 1972?

1. Gary says:

When I finished reading this my mind began to wander, in my short 57 years the nonsense I can cite off the top of my head actually makes me wonder why? Why does anyone put up with this? I remember the Achile Laurel like it was yesterday.

• Lucille says:

Agreed with one correction: If ISLAM were to order arms-down, there would be no more war.

• lovely says:

I agree with your correction Lucille. I’m sure Netanyahu and Golda Meir would also.

• czarowniczy says:

At that time Israel’s primary enemies were Egypt and Syria, both with Russian assistance. The PLO were the big active terrorists on the block with Black September being a PLO spinoff.
          Iran was still under the Shah and Iraq was just signing a cooperation treaty with Russia for military cooperation. Jordan had kicked the Palestinians out (hence the ‘Black September’) and were quietly cozying up to the US and Israel. The ‘Arabs’ were using Egypt as their primary source of manpower to attack Israel, something that Sadat would end in ’79, and Syria was more of Russia’s hi-tech surrogate.

• czarina33 says:

Czar & I frequently comment on errors made by the youthful media people who either did not learn history & don’t do decent research before posting stories. Just yesterday someone tagged a local synagogue with 14/88 and swastikas, & the local TV reporters had little idea what they were about despite the availability of all info being on the internet at the touch of a finger! One trouble with getting older is you lived through some history & remember it… concept is “those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it”.

I kept looking at that post b/c it didn’t seem right; finally figured it out: “Achille Lauro”.. Auto correct is not your friend! Gets me lots of times, so about a week ago I turned it off….now my errors are mine.

2. czarowniczy says:

I remember it all too well. I still have 1972 commemorative Olympic German beer glasses, unused, from Munich. Just last year I gave one to one of my doctors who’s Jewish and whose daughter was going to Germany to visit the Camps.
    I can remember watching it unfold and unravel live on TV, the German police blowing the entire operation. There was a claim later that the German government passed information to the Munich police that the PLO was planning an incident and the police failed to take appropriate action. A German publication managed, years later, to uncover thousands of documents regarding the attack that the government had hidden and the German government settled with the families for 3-million Euros without admitting real liability.
    Of the three surviving terrorists two died under…questionable…circumstances and one’s spent the last 47 years in hiding – if he’s even still alive.

Jim McKay….

4. Reblogged this on Special Connections and commented:
    Tragic history that must be remembered…