Romance – Poems and Songs

An oldie but goodie. Enjoy!

In honor of my wedding anniversary (51 years ago, but who is counting?) Of course, I was divorced long ago and, even if I had not divorced, my ex-husband is no longer alive, so this isn’t a real anniversary.

Regardless of the disclaimers, love is one of the best things about being alive, and a big part of life’s memories.

The Quiet World
Jeffrey McDaniel

In an effort to get people to look
into each other’s eyes more,
and also to appease the mutes,
the government has decided
to allot each person exactly one hundred
and sixty-seven words, per day.

When the phone rings, I put it to my ear
without saying hello. In the restaurant
I point at chicken noodle soup.
I am adjusting well to the new way.

Late at night, I call my long distance lover,
proudly say
I only used fifty-nine today.
I saved the rest for you.

When she doesn’t respond,
I know she’s used up all her words,
so I slowly whisper I love you
thirty-two and a third times.
After that, we just sit on the line
and listen to each other breathe.

Falling in love is a very strange thing. Sometimes painful, all-consuming, occasionally transcendent.

After a while, you move on from falling in love to “Loving Someone”.

“When you graduate from “Being In Love” to “Loving Someone” you understand – Love is not about owning, Love is about wanting the best for them, It’s about seeing or Helping them achieve great heights, with or without you. Love is not what you say, it’s what you do.”

Growing old with you…

There’s nothing I would rather do,
than to grow old in love with you,
the fun that being with you brings,
our memories made of little things,
the talks we have, the jokes we share,
the hugs, the kisses here and there…
what better reason could there be,
to ask you to grow old in love with me.

There are other kinds of love, of course, some better, but different. Today romance is on my brain.

A Valediction: Forbidding Mourning
By John Donne

As virtuous men pass mildly away,
And whisper to their souls, to go,
Whilst some of their sad friends do say,
“The breath goes now,” and some say, “No:”

So let us melt, and make no noise,
No tear-floods, nor sigh-tempests move;
‘Twere profanation of our joys
To tell the laity our love.

Moving of th’ earth brings harms and fears;
Men reckon what it did, and meant;
But trepidation of the spheres,
Though greater far, is innocent.

Dull sublunary lovers’ love
(Whose soul is sense) cannot admit
Absence, because it doth remove
Those things which elemented it.

But we by a love so much refin’d,
That ourselves know not what it is,
Inter-assured of the mind,
Care less, eyes, lips, and hands to miss.

Our two souls therefore, which are one,
Though I must go, endure not yet
A breach, but an expansion,
Like gold to airy thinness beat.

If they be two, they are two so
As stiff twin compasses are two;
Thy soul, the fix’d foot, makes no show
To move, but doth, if the’ other do.

And though it in the centre sit,
Yet when the other far doth roam,
It leans, and hearkens after it,
And grows erect, as that comes home.

Such wilt thou be to me, who must
Like th’ other foot, obliquely run;
Thy firmness makes my circle just,
And makes me end, where I begun.

This poem was read at my daughter’s wedding, 21 years ago:

[i carry your heart with me(i carry it in]
By E. E. Cummings
i carry your heart with me(i carry it in
my heart)i am never without it(anywhere
i go you go,my dear;and whatever is done
by only me is your doing,my darling)
i fear
no fate(for you are my fate,my sweet)i want
no world(for beautiful you are my world,my true)
and it’s you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows
higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that’s keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)

This entry was posted in Nostalgia, Poetry, The Culture, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Romance – Poems and Songs

1. lovely says:

Probably my favorite love song.

There is something about the beauty of a man as broken as Eric Clapton trying express love. This song always makes me weepy.

• tessa50 says:

Broken? Never heard that but I don’t really follow these people. He is gifted though.

• lovely says:

Sad story his life is.

He thought his grandmother was his mom until he turned 16 and a relative told him that the woman he thought was his mom was actually his grandmother and the woman he thought was his sister was actually his mother. He said he would never again trust anyone in his life. Bad alcohol problems, LSD, heroine addict for years.

The woman he wrote the song about Pattie Boyd was George Harrison’s wife. George asked Eric to keep an eye on her while Georg was touring.

Eric loved George.

Eric believed that he could never pick a suitable mate for himself as he thought himself incapable of telling genuine affection from disingenuous affection particularly when to came to women. So Eric had a brilliant idea, he loved George and believed George to be a man of wise discretion, so, if George deemed Pattie wife material then Pattie must be terrific. So Eric set about to wooing Pattie because he loved George. Then Eric fell in love with Pattie. Pattie fell in love with Eric and left George.

Meanwhile Pattie and Eric went on to become heavy heroine users trying to escape their own minds.

As far as I know they are both clean and sober though that is just a guess because they are both still alive.

Absolutely beautiful woman.

• lovely says:

Heroin not heroine but being a heroine addict might become equally as tragic.

Then there’s the story about his son’s death. Only 4 years old.

• lovely says:

Yes. Sadly he was not really involved in his son’s life, but the story goes, the very last time he saw Connor he realized that his first duty in life was to be a dad, his love for his son bloomed and he was committed to being a real dad.

I can’t imagine.

I can’t imagine the guilt he carries over not being a real part of his son’s life and then losing him in such a tragic accident.

• lovely says:

PS Tears in Heaven, tells the tale of Eric’s regret and heartbreak in the first line Would you know my name. If I saw you in heaven?

What a window into a soul.

Eric and Connor.

I am rarely interested in celebrities, but Eric always fascinated ever since I was a very young and heard Cocaine, I bought his album when I was 13(?) and fell in love with many of the songs. Cocaine, Wonderful Tonight, May You Never, Next Time You See Her, We’re All the Way and Lay Down Sally all masterpieces to my young ears.

Sometime I really am quite amazed that I survived my own childhood.

Seventy years old and he is still singing the glories of cocaine.

Broken.

Seems to me to be a man who is terrified of knowing himself.

• With them croutons and parm, all you needs is a bunch of romaine.

And with some caesar and care, you got a salad that’s fair, romaine.

Yes, i love Clapton. Yes, there’s something wong with me.

• lovely says:

I’ll be alright
                I’ll be alright
                I’ll be alright some day
                If in my heart
                I do not give
                Then I’ll be alright some day

__Eric Clapton

Fascinating man.

• You need to research him, and listen to him, more, I think.

Start with “Crossroads Guitar Festival” at Amazon. Get them all, and watch them all.

It was every three years. He can’t play much, any more because he has arthritis in both hands. Pretty much a repetitive stress injury. He’s been playing for a long time, and there’s nobody in the industry that doesn’t wish they could have played with him.

He quit this year. I wish John Mayer would take over.

Clapton’s life is tragic. That’s the blues, right? His son fell out a window and died. The Crossroads DVDs are incredible guitarists.

• That video illustrates what music should be.

Look at the crowd, even.

And crank it up loud.

• At about 23:00 BB King says to Clapton, “I hope I live forever. I hope you live forever and a day.” I have a lot of respect for Eric. I’d shine his shoes like I’d shine czar’s.

• lovely says:

Read a lot about him including his autobiography, I know someone who worked on his stage set and knew him, Clapton is a very damaged man. Being broken is within his essence. Listened to all of his songs multiple times. I’m a fan of his music but it doesn’t make him any less broken.

I know Connor fell out of the window. I also know in his 4 years on earth Eric rarely saw him and wasn’t really interested in being a dad. Eric himself said this.

Recognizing someone is broken doesn’t make them less of a person it simply is a recognition of the picture painted before me.

• Being broken is within his essence.

I think that’s why I love the man so much.

I can’t listen to “Tears in Heaven” without crying.

I’ve watched all five Crossroads festival DVDs, though, and he is an amazing man. The video I linked is the entire 2007 (even though the title says 2010) show. There was supposed to be another one this year, but he called it quits, and said so on his website. I wish he had passed the torch to Mayer.

• lovely says:

Me too Wooly as to a reason why I love him.

When he was asked who he was speaking to when he wrote “If in my heart I do not give, Then I’ll be alright some day..”he said “everybody” Cat has 4 daughters and a wife and is still disconnected, how very sad.

He also said the best place to be in the world is next to a drummer or other musician who has the spotlight and has taken the lead, Eric just follows the music, doesn’t let his head get in the way and the attention isn’t on him. I don’t think he is aware of his genius.

• He is a very humble man. All of my favorite musicians are humble like that, actually.

Daryl Hall comes to mind. Super rich, gigantic house with a studio, a television show, and he defers to all the people who come to play with him. No ego at all. I bet Daryl’s broken, too.

I think Clapton knows his genius, and is humble enough to realize he doesn’t deserve it.

What he does is give thanks by giving all these other artists a platform, most if not all of whom are also broken people.

And I understand that sentiment. I’d rather slave for Chef, than be Chef.

• lovely says:

All Blues singers do not lead tragic lives. Eric chose his life and yes it is tragic. He didn’t choose for is son to die but he did choose to be almost completely uninvolved in his life.

• tessa50 says:

Forgot to say I love this song.