The White House: President asking for $15.4 billion in rescissions

Office of the Press Secretary

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

May 8, 2018

*PRESIDENT DONALD J. TRUMP IS PROTECTING AMERICAN TAXPAYER DOLLARS*

“Our moral duty to the taxpayer requires us to make our government leaner and more accountable. President Donald J. Trump”

*REQUEST FOR RESCISSIONS: President Donald J. Trump is requesting that Congress rescind billions of dollars in excessive spending. *

* President Trump is requesting that Congress rescind more than $15 billion in budget authority, in line with his commitment to use every tool at his disposal to rein in out-of-control Federal spending.
* The Presidents request is the first of several upcoming rescissions packages aimed at cutting Federal spending.
* President Trump is proposing the largest single rescissions request in history pursuant to the Congressional Budget and Impoundment Control Act of 1974 (ICA).

* Under the ICA, the President has the authority to request rescissions and his proposals are eligible for expedited consideration by Congress.
* Democratic and Republican Presidents have used the ICA to propose nearly $76 billion in spending cuts since the law was enacted.
* Upon the passage of the ICA in 1974, each President from Gerald Ford to Bill Clinton successfully used the ICA to rescind Federal funds.

**

*CONFRONTING IRRESPONSIBLE SPENDING: The Presidents rescissions request puts American taxpayers first by addressing irresponsible Federal spending. *

* President Trumps first rescissions package targets spending that is unnecessary, unused, or cannot be used for its original purpose. **
* Some of the funds included in the Presidents request were appropriated many years ago, but have never been used. **

* At the Presidents direction, the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) worked to identify wasteful spending that should be rescinded. **
* Funds in President Trumps first proposed rescissions package include: **
* $4.3 billion from the Advanced Technology Vehicles Manufacturing Loan Program, which has not made a loan since 2011.
* $523 million from the Title 17 Innovative Technology Loan Guarantee Program, which had its authority to make new loan guarantees lapse in 2011.
* $800 million from the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation, which is in excess of the funds needed in fiscal years (FY) 2018 or 2019 and will receive a new appropriation of $10 billion in 2020.
* $252 million in excess funds remaining from the 2015 Ebola outbreak response, an epidemic the World Health Organization declared to be over in 2016.
* $133 million from the Railroad Unemployment Insurance Extended Benefits program that expired in 2012.
* $148 million from the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, including funds for outbreak response for disease incidents that have been resolved.

Steny Hoyer wants to know why the President isn’t cutting the defense budget.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Government, News, Politics, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to The White House: President asking for $15.4 billion in rescissions

  1. TwoLaine says:

    Best Presidential Movie EVER! (SO FAR…) 😉

    Like

  2. Gil says:

    Defense budget is the 1 of a few things the fed is supposed to pay for. Lord how do these people keep breathing?

    Liked by 1 person

  3. hocuspocus13 says:

    …it’s just that kid

    Who was picking up the nails that dropped on the floor from his Father’s construction site!

    To stock away for tomorrow…

    󾓦

    Like

  4. stella says:

    Email this afternoon from Heritage:

    “Over the past decade, it’s become increasingly apparent that Washington has no appetite for fiscal restraint.”

    That is what my former Heritage Action colleague, and current deputy director of the White House Office of Management and Budget, Russ Vought, wrote in the Wall Street Journal. And that is why, this morning, President Trump proposed the largest rescissions request ever made to Congress.

    This first round of rescissions goes after “unobligated balances” or money that was previously appropriated but never spent. The list includes:

    $7 billion from unnecessary or expired CHIP programs;
    $4.3 billion from the Energy Department’s Advanced Technology Vehicle Manufacturing loan program, inactive since 2011;
    $523 million from the Energy Department’s Title 17 “innovative technology” loan guarantee program, inactive since 2011;
    $252 million from the U.S. Agency for International Development’s 2015 Ebola response;
    $148 million from Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service for already-resolved disease outbreaks;
    $133 million from a Railroad Retirement Board program that ended in 2012;
    $107 million from unused watershed rehabilitation programs following Superstorm Sandy; and
    $47 million from a Federal Transit Administration account that has stagnated for 13 years.

    Lawmakers—Republicans and Democrats alike—have no excuses. Every dollar in this proposal is “no longer necessary, has been diverted from its original intent, or has sat unused for years.” President Trump’s initial request strategically goes after unobligated funds before tackling the $1.3 trillion omnibus spending bill to help lawmakers build muscle memory on the process first.

    The first step is to put pressure on the House to act immediately and then tout House-passage as a victory.

    After that, we shift our attention to the Senate and say, “the House acted. Now it is the Senate’s turn.” It’s only with a strong House showing that we can force the issue in the Senate and get the votes necessary to lay the foundation for going after the next pot of wasteful money.

    As House Freedom Caucus Chairman Mark Meadows (R-N.C.) said yesterday, “This is I believe the first of many rescission packages that you’ll see.”

    We need every conservative on board and engaged in this effort. To get up to speed on the rescissions process, read Heritage Action’s Wesley Coopersmith’s blog post, “GOP Should Exercise Fiscal Restraint through the Impoundment Control Act” and Russ Vought’s op-ed, “The White House Announces Its Rescission Package.”

    Liked by 2 people

  5. “…authority to request.”

    That doesn’t sound like authority to me. At all.

    When I was a kid, by this measure, I had the authority to request chocolate cake for breakfast.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.