Barbara Bush, 1925 – 2018

As most of you have already heard, Barbara Pierce Bush died yesterday. Mrs. Bush was a woman who was a strong support in the family Bush, one that has been a prominent political presence for many decades.

Whether or not we agree politically with her husband or her sons, I believe it is important to honor her for the woman she was and the good things that she has done. Barbara Bush never ran for political office, and the occasion of her death is not the time to take a political stand against her family. I have seen nasty comments about her in the past hours, and it is my belief that these comments say more about the persons making them than the woman who, in death, cannot respond.

Her last years included periodic hospitalization to treat lung problems. As is often the case, her COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) went hand in hand with congestive heart failure (CHF). In the past week, Mrs. Bush chose to forego further medical intervention, but to stay at home with her family and friends, letting her life end naturally, while being made as comfortable as possible.

“My dear mother has passed on at age 92,” former President George W. Bush said in a written statement. “Laura, Barbara, Jenna, and I are sad, but our souls are settled because we know hers was. Barbara Bush was a fabulous First Lady and a woman unlike any other who brought levity, love, and literacy to millions. To us, she was so much more. Mom kept us on our toes and kept us laughing until the end. I’m a lucky man that Barbara Bush was my mother. Our family will miss her dearly, and we thank you all for your prayers and good wishes.”

Born June 8, 1925, Barbara Pierce  met her future husband at age 16, marrying him three years later. She dropped out of college, and married her sailor on leave in January of 1945. Their marriage lasted 73 years. They had six children, the oldest being George W. Bush. One child, Robin, died in 1953 of leukemia. Mrs. Bush will be buried next to her baby girl at the George H.W. Bush Presidential library. The funeral will be held this Friday, April 20  Saturday, April 21. Visitation will be on Friday, April 20, at St Martin’s Church in Houston, from noon to midnight. The funeral is by invitation only, but visitation is open to the public. People are asked to first go the Second Baptist Church campus to park and go through security. Shuttle services will be provided to and from St. Martin’s Church, beginning at 11:30 am.

Barbara Bush was the wife of a President, and the mother of a President, something that she shares with only one other woman, Abigail Adams.

She was strong minded, outspoken, and witty. She was a human being, imperfect, but doing her best. May she rest in peace, and her family comforted by her memory.

This short video about her final illness and treatment is interesting, I think.

This entry was posted in Government, History, News, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Barbara Bush, 1925 – 2018

I just read this quote over at Legal Insurrection.

“You have given me joy that few men know,” George Bush wrote to her, according to a collection of letters published in 1999.

“I have climbed perhaps the highest mountain in the world, but even that cannot hold a candle to being Barbara’s husband,” he also said.

• Menagerie says:

There could be no more beautiful memorial words spoken than those, even though she got to hear them, which is even better. I pray for the eternal repose of her soul.

2. czarowniczy says:

At least she had the ability to see another Republican president in the White House berfore she passed. She had a grace as a First Lady, and after, that Hillary or Michelle could only dream of having.

Barbara Bush certainly deserves our respect. She was the kind of wife and mother who made a big difference in people’s lives. Something the feminists just don’t understand.

4. Wooly Covfefe says:

Barbara was the best FLOTUS in my lifetime (save the current, IMO).

I cannot agree with her hubby’s policies and typical Republican high-horse defeatism (cuckold), but she was a class act. I put her far above the Hollywood spiritist, Nancy Reagan, in all regards.

GHW was a cuck. Defeat? So what, we’re better! Islam? It’s a Religion of Peace!

Reagan didn’t even connect the dots in Beiruit. Yeah, Ronnie, lemme tell you something about the MB in Egypt in the 19-teens. You Hollywood commie, pretending to fight Russia.

Thanks, Republicans. Thank God for Trump. He’s, unfortunately for the UniParty, not an idiot.

5. lovely says:

Stella I wish I could like your original posts but WP still isn’t working right for me ever since I changed my password a while back.

I read that her and her husband enjoyed some bourbon together in her last hours and that she was very happy and at peace. Beautiful.

I imagine George Senior will follow her quickly they seemed to be of one heart.

6. Sharon says:

Thank you, Stella, for this gracious memorial to Mrs. Bush’s memory.

I like to think that this is what happened.

8. michellc says:

I have never understood why people say evil things about people after they die. There are many on the left who have died that I did not like, but I always follow what I was taught, “you don’t disrespect the dead.”
    Her family might have politics that I and others disagree with, but they’re still humans who lost a loved one and nobody deserves to read the sort of things that have been written since she passed away.
    The most important thing a person can do in life is love their family and that she appeared to do and they appeared to love her dearly.

Today I was called a ‘weak Republican fool who doesn’t fight’ because I said what you just said. Then the so-called conservative blocked me. He also said my dog was ugly, and that I was probably a Trump hater.

What has happened to civility?

• michellc says:

I do not know Stella, I honestly don’t. I continue to lose faith in mankind.
        So many friends and family I thought I knew before our Presidential Republican primary, that I didn’t know at all.
        So many friends and family I thought I knew before the stuff that has been going on in our state, that I didn’t know at all.

We have became a society that wants to destroy anyone and everyone who doesn’t agree with us.
        We have became a society that has no respect for anything or anyone.

This is not the world I grew up in and it’s a world I do not understand. I would blame social media and say people say and do on social media what they wouldn’t say and do in person, however I have found even that is not the case anymore.
        All I know to do is be the person I was raised to be and the person God guides me to be. I will speak up for what is right and speak against what is wrong and let the cards fall however they fall.