How will your garden grow?

This photo reminds me of the gardens of my youth – with zinnias and mums the soldiers guarding the tender plants.

I know some of you in the South have already started planting your gardens or, at the very least, put out a couple of pots on the patio!

Every year I pore over nursery catalogs, but I plant less and less as the years pass. This year I will do better – I promise!

I keep thinking that it would be great to have raised beds, but I just don’t have the strength anymore to do the digging, construction and hauling that will require. I’m much more of a casual gardener than a serious one, and even though the various contraptions available to home gardeners for planting their veggies and herbs, I have yet to commit to a purchase. This one looks nice, but pricey:

Or something a bit simpler, but still nice:

I like the idea of this narrow bed (2×12′) that I could install next to the driveway in the back yard, but I think it would be a dog magnet:

Seriously though, I will probably stick to planters, some of which I already own, to plant individual tomato and pepper plants, maybe some cucumbers on a trellis, and a few herbs.

I love, and will use, sage, thyme, basil, marjoram, rosemary, and parsley. I may even just buy the plants, rather than raising them from seed (or both).

The beauty of gardening, and the lovely summer season, is that we can tailor our garden to our budget, ability, needs, and desires.

What kind of garden do you have, and what are you planting this year?

35 Responses to How will your garden grow?

1. litenmaus says:

I’m going to try a potato garbage can this summer…drill drainage holes along the bottom sides of a 30 gallon rubber garbage can, fill the garbage can with a couple feet of soil, plant the potato eye to the correct depth and water. Continue normal watering and wait for the top to grow…when the top green is about six inches high add an inch of soil to the garbage can, and every week thereafter add another inch of soil to the garbage can until it is time to harvest the crop.

My niece has done this now for three years and has pulled in between 20 and 30 pounds of new potatoes off of one plant so I thought I’d give it a try.

• czarowniczy says:

I tried that and various critters helped themselves to the spuds before I did. I now have some half-drums for various kinds of storage and that’s that.

Love that idea!

• litenmaus says:

I like that garbage cans are easy to come by and fairly inexpensive to buy (or throw if the ‘garden’ proves to be a bust) and

most importantly, anything that alleviates my having to struggle getting up and down from the ground is a huge plus in my book.

• lovely says:

I went to a garage sale last summer and it was at the house of a lady who had some kind of health issue where she could not get up and down but standing was fine for her.

Her husband built her a huge garden ( 3′ by 12′ ?) container that was a little higher than her hips so that she could continue with her beloved hobby πŸ™‚ . It still make me smile thinking about how they beamed at each other when they were telling me about it as I admired her garden.

2. czarowniczy says:

I’m spraying and tilling…took a break lasdt year so the ground’s solid and weed-heavy. Got lotsa plans, got my first 5 TAM jalapeno plants in the garage waiting for nightime ground temps to stay above 50. Got beans, squash, maters, eggplants and will undoubtedly find some strange stuff Bonnie delivers to my co-op to plant too.
    Done messing with corn – deer and coons get it long before I do, easier just to buy it locally. Cucumbers are on the ‘to do’ list as nothing quite tastes like a cuke fresh outta the garden, thinking now about the salad possibilities…

Even here in Michigan, some plants can go in now or in the next couple of weeks. Peas, for one.

Sage, oregano, and thyme plants can be planted now. I would just be sure of a couple of fairly mild days after planting. According to a column I just read, celery, cabbage, broccoli, and kohlrabi transplants from the garden center can go in soon. I wouldn’t plant them when a very cold night is coming the next night.

Of course, you can always cover your plants if frost is expected. I use old sheets. You shouldn’t use plastic if it will touch the plants.

• czarowniczy says:

Any frost here would be expected about January 0f 2019. I’m pretty sure it’ll heat up here too quickly for cruciforms, I’m way too late in getting ready for them, and as for peas – the rabbits and deer LOVE them.
      Czarina wants a smallish 6×10 herb garden but we also have some in pots for immediate uses. Thing that has me most interested is I’ve found some real heirloom Vietnamese basil plants so now we’ll be able to have more authentic pho and bun…twenty years ago I’d never be caught saying that.

I never get peas in early enough. Once we start to heat up, it happens fast, and peas (and lettuce) just bolt.

• czarowniczy says:

Yup, spring’s about that short here too but the list of critters that are hungry for early greens is loooooong. I’m looking at a small greenhouse but then for the price of a greenhouse I could buy a truck load of greens. Decisions, decisions…

4. Menagerie says:

THIs a what I would like of try, because I could put it out in the tiny area where we get sun. Price puts it out of the question though.

• litenmaus says:

I don’t know if the composting capability is part of what you like Menagerie, but if it is the vertical height with possibilities of planting various types of plants for display in a small area, might I suggest that you consider pvc pipe…..

a good four foot long (or longer) piece of pvc that’s about 8 inches in diameter can be drilled easily for flower wells, burlap & a little wire can provide ‘layers’ for soil retention and stability for each ‘level’ of plants. After planting, the pipe can be leaned against a wall or set upright in a container that is also planted or that contains sand.

I built a pvc tower a few years back that sat on a little 2 ft square area and it ended up costing me about 30 dollars for the completed tower. I planted mine with ivy, petunias, impatiens & sweet potato vines and I loved it.

• auscitizenmom says:

That is so cool.

5. Sharon says:

The raised gardens that Grant built the first summer we were here are such a blessing for me. There are two long ones – each about 12′ X 2′; and then one area of double-decker raised – about five feet long, a foot wide, and two feet deep on the back/two-story section. Each of these beds gets different sun exposure. The 12′ sections are really in shade quite a bit of the day, but it is apparently broken enough that it works fine – I’ve raised tomatoes, brocolli, potatoes, celery, cucumbers in those areas.

This year I’m switching things around a little bit as well as changing quantities and identities. I was ending up with too much produce in certain items and there are so many gardeners around here, it’s not that easy to find someone who needs/wants fresh veggies in August or September. Now since I started the dehydrating processes, that is part of the change I’m making. Now I will love having “too much celery” because I can dry it (it dries to about 1% of original size!) to use in soups, stews, etc. – anything where it’s used just for flavor, not for crunch. In face, I just used some dried celery this morning in a quick chicken vegetable soup I made because I developed a cold with a sore throat yesterday and overnight.

I also moved my June-bearing strawberries this winter, to one of the long beds. They had been in the two-story bed for four years, and I’ve learned from gardening neighbors that strawberries like being moved. So I moved the ones I had. Then I also bought four settings of ever-bearing strawberries the other day and have put them in the two story bed.

Also purchased a second rhubard setting and put it in the two story bed. That’s an area that gets the most sun. My other rhubarb (my sister-in-law’s generational rhubarb that we brought from Minnesota) is in the shady area, not in the raised bed. It does ok, but I know it would bear far more if it had more sunshine. I just haven’t haven’t had the heart to move it again – after it endured the move from Minnesota, 10 months in the back yard of our son’s home, and then moved again to here.

I have wonderful, beautiful garlic plants in four areas of the yard. Those goofy things seem to thrive no matter where they are planted. I have never had fresh-grown garlic. Goodness, they are beautiful when they are harvested – such a lovely process it is. I had to go online to learn all about that. I didn’t used to even use garlic in cooking that much but I sure enjoy having these fresh. And they last forever – once they are dried and still in their clumps of cloves – they sit contentedly in a small box in the garage just waiting for their turn. That is one thing I don’t have trouble giving away – people love them and, like me, alot of people don’t have them or didn’t know how easy they are to grow.

I have a perennial sage plant that I just transplanted. That thing is like a small bush. Invasive sage. Who knew.

And then I will discipline myself to three tomato plants this year – one of each of my favs.

Just bought string bean and snow pea starter plants and will have them in containers this year, and let them grow up the patio supports, along with a cucumber. One of the kickers of gardening here (for me) is that with all of the area 6 climate, there can be a week or two, or three days, of well over a hundred in August – and with all of the lush-quick-growing garden stuff, if a person isn’t johnny-on-the-spot with water and watching on those particular days, everything can be lost at the peak of harvest.

I’ve given up on carrots. I won’t plant potatoes this year. Take too much room for the harvest I get. I sure to love the whole thing of “new potatoes” but have decided that I won’t do them this year.

This is very long! Sorry. Doing thinking and organizing my brain as I’m typing!

6. Sharon says:

I will also be planting my wheat crop – the fourth crop this summer, which was started from the heads of wheat in the major sprays on top of the casket in Minnesota. I Corinthians 15:37 (and on through the end of the chapter) – Paul is illustrating the resurrection of the dead (referring to the body) by mentioning the head of wheat…(KJV) “…that which thou sowest, thou sowest not that body that shall be, but bare grain, it may chance of wheat, or some other grain…” The store of grain I have each year is more than the year before, of course, so it’s been fun to have that. Our sons are looking forward to each receiving half of that at some point – – it’s been a fun and theological blessing for me to do that each year. I’m not a depressing kind of sentimentalist in these things – not at all – but I do enjoy giving recognition and thought to the realities that are ours in Christ, and it gives me a way to pass that along to my family.

Here on “our” gravestone in MN, you can see that wheat heads were used also.

The line across the top says “In Christ Alone” – the A is a bit compromised in the photo, it looks like.

I discovered these sites – for any cemetery in the US – yesterday. Oh, goodness, there is MUCH information available. Check it out for cemeteries you know, using information from your family and loved ones. The links are very practical and provide settings for family relationships, parents, siblings, etc, with links that then go to THEIR death records.

I am a Find A Grave member and contributor. I was able to find my paternal grandmother’s resting place, and much of the history of her final years, through Find A Grave. There are some extremely dedicated genealogists who donate their time and labor to add information.

• Sharon says:

Yes to all of that, Stella. I found a photo of my grandmother in her young years that I would never have been aware of – yesterday. I’ve sent along those links and material to Jon and Eric.

Such a wealth of information – thank you for being a contributor.

Find A Grave was also happy to receive copies of my “dead pics”, as my daughter calls them.

• Sharon says:

Considering the mobility of so many of us now, these things are a wonderful resource. Your comment makes me realize that I have lots of “dead pics” that I could contribute in a couple of different places. My parents’ photos are not present on the Ebenezer cemetery record, for starters.

My mother’s favorite flowers for planting in the front yard were purple irises, purple pansies, red poppies, the ubiquitous California golden poppy, and what we always called “Johnny Jump-ups” (small purple, white and yellow flowers) but I had no idea of the actual name until I looked it up just now…viola tricolor. She also grew spiderwort in pots and brought them in to decorate the house, along with her jade plants.

My older sister used to collect the dying irises and make ink out of them. I don’t know if she learned that in school, read about it somewhere or just thought it’d be a great idea. She was always doing unusual things like that.

Viola Tricolors…

8. michellc says:

I’m beginning to think we’re not going to get to plant a garden this year. It’s ready to start planting, but the weather isn’t cooperating.