Photo/Tweet of the day …

This entry was posted in Meme, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Photo/Tweet of the day …

Beautiful.

2. I hope that, when I die, people are talking about me like they’re talking about Billy Graham today.

It’s all a man can ask for.

I believe the pulpit in the front is very appropriate. 🙂

4. Menagerie says:

I like the ceremonial ritual of the casket placed as is, the plans and honors they have going on this week and next. I think we need honor and ritual. It is due our dead and we need to provide it.

I had a friend die a few months ago. I went to his funeral. There’s was no minister. People just got up and told funny stories about him for twenty minutes or so. They said it was what he wanted, and I’m pretty sure he was that kind of guy, and it was certainly up to him and his family.

But I left feeling hollow, and not at all like I had paid my last respects to a friend. Never could I, if it be my choice, leave a loved one on those terms.

I am saddened by deaths that I know of where the family had him/her cremated and never even have a memorial service of any kind. It’s wrong.

• Wooly Covfefe says:

My uncle, my dad’s brother, was a good friend, in my healing years, and Fire/EMS for almost 2 decades. He helped heal a lot of people, in many ways.

Not particularly religious, either. At all, I mean. His friends were cops and bikers, hunters and crazy people, and good people, all.

No funeral, as was his wish. We (250 of us or so) rented an entire campground for three days, two nights, and camped out the entire time, and verbally remembered him over campfires the whole time. Me and my folks and his cousins, after he was cremated, put his ashes into Lake Michigan, which was his home. I don’t regret it at all. He does, I think, have a stone at the cemetery where my grandparents’ and brother’s are. The part of the park is called the Garden of Gethsemane. My grandparents and brother’s bodies are interred therein. My uncle is in Lake Michigan, where we tossed him. Somewhat ceremoniously. But also with his amazing sense of humor.

Absolutely no regrets. We did exactly what he wanted.

On the way home, my mom said (I’m in the back seat), “Hubby, you have some of your brother in your hair.” We all understood that he would have loved that line. He was EMS, for cryin’ out loud! Black humor is necessary in this life.

😀

Wooly, you DID have a memorial! That’s just like an old Irish wake.

What I mean was, for example, my cousin’s father died and they didn’t do anything to mark his passing. Nothing. As far as I know, they just put his ashes in the closet.

• G-d&Country says:

I agree that’s sad, and disrespectful of the life God gave him. I’m guessing they were not very religious, even if they were church -goers. How could you do that if you believed God gives you this life, your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, and you have the possibility of eternity in Heaven after death?

• auscitizenmom says:

When my brother died, we had a memorial service on a beach. He had a female friend who was a preacher of some sort who spoke just a few words and prayed. And, then, we each stood up and spoke if we wanted to. Near the end, a gentleman stood up in tears and said he didn’t really know my brother, he had come to represent a company that he was connected with somehow just to show their respects. But, he said he really wished he had had the opportunity to get to know him from what his friends were saying. Then, some of us went out in a boat into the Gulf of Mexico and spread his ashes, just as he had asked.

• MaryfromMarin says:

We need rituals. They keep us grounded.