Russia Demands that Bulgarians Stop Painting Soviet Monuments

I’m sure I’ve seen reports of this before, but it is too funny not to share.

According to a report by the Moscow Times, pranksters in Bulgaria are repainting Soviet-era monuments so that Soviet military heroes look like American Superheroes. Needless to say, the Russians are not too happy about it:

Russia is demanding that Bulgaria try harder to prevent vandalism of Soviet monuments, after yet another monument to Soviet troops in Sofia was spray-painted, ITAR-Tass reported.

The Russian Embassy in Bulgaria has issued a note demanding that its former Soviet-era ally clean up the monument in Sofia’s Lozenets district, identify and punish those responsible, and take “exhaustive measures” to prevent similar attacks in the future, the news agency reported Monday.

The monument was sprayed with red paint on the eve of the Bulgarian Socialist Party’s celebration of its 123rd anniversary, the Sofia-based Novinite news agency reported.

The vandalism was the latest in a series of similar recent incidents in Bulgaria — each drawing angry criticism from Moscow…

This entry was posted in Humor, News, The Culture, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Russia Demands that Bulgarians Stop Painting Soviet Monuments

1. MaryfromMarin says:

Question: What do Ronald McDonald, Santa Claus, and The Joker have in common?…

2. Gil says:

How clever! I like it.

3. czarina33 says:

I know we are supposed to be mad at people who write on our walls or deface our statues, but we have to smile at the artistry & cleverness when it actually improves the situation. After Katrina, Banksy painted several great pieces which were social commentary, & some were preserved. Google Banksy Katrina and see several images there.

I worked with people who escaped from Bulgaria in the 1970’s. They told me what it was like there. If Russians built monuments in Bulgaria, I understand why they have been defaced.

4. nyetneetot says:

I’m sure if I was able to show this to Mrs. Nyet, I’d have a bit of a time getting her calmed down. I’m sure it’s a combination of things. One would be just showing respect for your own history, even if you hope it never happens again. Like with our civil war statues. But I would bet money on the main issue is the Western influences in the vandalism rather than drawing on their own.

Very clever. 🙂

6. I remember how hard I laughed the first time I saw this. I’m laughing that hard again.

It is the best vandalism I’ve ever seen. A giant poke in the eye to Moscow, laughter for the locals, and ridicule is part of the enemy’s playbook, which came out of Moscow.