January 28, 1986

One of those days you will always remember.

This entry was posted in Government, History, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to January 28, 1986

1. Oh that first video…I’m crying.

That was so heartbreaking.

Many believe that the astronauts survived the explosion.

4. Wooly Phlox says:

I was in early HS or Jr. High, and watched it live on TV in the classroom.

Two days later, before the internet existed, schoolkids across America all knew 20 new sick Christa McAuliffe jokes. Two days.

5. nyetneetot says:

I was in the Navy.

I was negotiating pricing on a few loads of domestic pipe (on the phone) when Louis, the sales manager I was talking too, said “The..the…the shuttle just blew up!!” I said – What??? He had his t.v. on in his office….. I couldn’t get any more details until after work…..

7. Sharon says:

I had taken the afternoon off from my job to attend a class – doing part time college work – and when I came out to my car and started driving home, it was wall-to-wall coverage. Very hard to come to grips with.

And to put it simply, it made me really ticked off when the investigation finally identified that Thiokol’s engineers who were in the know had been begging for a postponement in the launch because they knew those foam rings would not perform properly in the low prevailing low temps. Sickening.

The first two paragraphs:

“Thirty years ago, as the nation mourned the loss of seven astronauts on the space shuttle Challenger, Bob Ebeling was steeped in his own deep grief.

“The night before the launch, Ebeling and four other engineers at NASA contractor Morton Thiokol had tried to stop the launch. Their managers and NASA overruled them.”

8. MaryfromMarin says:

Yes, I remember exactly where I was and what I did immediately after hearing the news. Some events leave a permanent mark.