My Spring

Signs-of-spring845In the cold North, Spring comes in gradually.  Maybe it is because Winter is overstaying its time, and I watch more carefully to spot Spring’s coming, but every year I notice the small things that tell me that we are moving ever so slowly to the pleasant and fruitful days of the year.

Very Early Spring, Katherine Mansfield
The fields are snowbound no longer;
There are little blue lakes and flags of tenderest green.
The snow has been caught up into the sky–
So many white clouds–and the blue of the sky is cold.
Now the sun walks in the forest,
He touches the bows and stems with his golden fingers;
They shiver, and wake from slumber.
Over the barren branches he shakes his yellow curls.
Yet is the forest full of the sound of tears….
A wind dances over the fields.
Shrill and clear the sound of her waking laughter,
Yet the little blue lakes tremble
And the flags of tenderest green bend and quiver.

Perhaps the first thing I notice is sound.  The birds know that Spring is coming.

winter-spring

now winging selves sing sweetly
now winging selves sing sweetly,while ghosts(there
and here)of snow cringe;

dazed an earth shakes sleep
out of her brightening mind:now everywhere
space tastes of the amazement which is hope

gone are those hugest hours of dark and cold
when blood and flesh to inexistence bow
(all that was doubtful’s certain,timid’s bold;
old’s youthful and reluctant’s eager now)

anywhere upward somethings yearn and stir
piercing a tangled wrack of wishless known;
nothing is like this keen(who breathes us)air
immortal with the fragrance of begin

winter is over–now(for me and you,
darling!)life’s star prances the blinding blue

In my garden, forsythia is the promise of days to come.

Haiku Forsythia

Forsythia a
Burst of sunshine in barren
Wood announcing spring

Forsythia.x.intermedia03

The bulbs plants begin to bloom soon after, first the snowdrops, crocus and grape hyacinth, then the daffodils, and the tulips.  My mother once gave me a wonderful gift; she planted a spring bulb garden for me near my front door, so that I would see it each time I stepped outside. I looked forward to that each morning as I left for work.

crocus“Crocus”

When winter’s winds are on the wane
And sunshine warms young April days,
When snow gives way to slushy rain
The crocus springs anew.

While crouching ‘neath the frosty crust,
On tender bended stem it prays
To fend off one more crushing gust
And melt the frozen dew.

© 2013 Matt Forrest Esenwine

Have you ever noticed that one sunny day when you are driving or walking down your street there seems to be a green haze in the air, as the leaves unfurl?  Even though you have been waiting and watching for it, all of a sudden that day arrives!

First-Green-Of-Spring

[in Just-]

By E. E. Cummings

in Just-
spring          when the world is mud-
luscious the little
lame balloonman
whistles          far          and wee
and eddieandbill come
running from marbles and
piracies and it’s
spring
when the world is puddle-wonderful
the queer
old balloonman whistles
far          and             wee
and bettyandisbel come dancing
from hop-scotch and jump-rope and
it’s
spring
and
         the
                  goat-footed
balloonMan          whistles
far
and
wee
Live Oak among bluebonnets and paintbrush

For behold, the winter is past; the rain is over and gone. The flowers appear on the earth, the time of singing has come, and the voice of the turtledove is heard in our land.

Song Of Solomon 2:11-12

This entry was posted in Holidays, Nostalgia, Poetry, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to My Spring

My goodness, such a beautiful post.

In Florida, of course winter is usually fairly mild, and spring appears and lasts a few days, sometimes a week. Then, summer drops on us like an anvil. I think summer may be here.

That is the closest to poetry I can get . 🙂

• The Tundra PA says:

USmom, you are a poet!

We in Alaska, on the other hand, are waiting for one (not two! No, please, not two) more blizzard before Ole Man Winter loosens his grip on us. There’s only a foot of snow left in the yard and dry brown grass is visible in the sunny spots. The sun doesn’t have a lot of warmth yet, but there’s a lot more hours of it. I’m hoping snow will be gone by May 1st.

2. My daffodils are in full bloom! The forsythia as well. My fig bush is sprouting and my rhododendron is coming to bud!I reckon it’s almost time to get some tomatoes! But not planted out till after Good Friday. We may have a little frost early next week, but hope not…

Here in Michigan (and I’m in the warmer spot in SE Mich) we don’t plant until May, usually, and even then we might get frost, and have to protect our tender plants.

My forsythia is just starting (a few little flowers). My neighbor’s bush is ahead of mine, as it is every year. I can see that the tulips are out of the ground a few inches – daffodils too – but won’t be blooming for a while yet. I should go check the beds on the side of the house. There are some grape hyacinth over there, and my neighbor to the east has crocus in his front bed. He is a wonderful gardener (I’m an indifferent one these days), but he lost his front yard shade this year (they took down a huge maple in November), so I’m curious to see what he does with it.

3. Menagerie says:

This was such a wonderful post to settle in and read this afternoon. Sometimes I read Song of Solomon just for the beauty.

4. Menagerie says:

Also, that tree painting, and what you said about it just happening one day, yes, every year it seems that even though I have been watching the first hints of buds on the trees, they are just suddenly little leaves.

I have many daffodils around the cabin, the forsythia are beginning their blooms, whatever kind of spade shaped ferns live in along my garden path have uncurled their bright green selves, and the bees are buzzing. Unfortunately, they are carpenter bees.

5. lovely says:

Stella, thank you for the beauty that you sprinkle on your site, pretty pictures and beautiful poetry, it is good to sit back and breath in something calming away from the madness of the world.

From my mom’s house this Saturday;