General Discussion, Monday, September 21, 2020

Image | This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to General Discussion, Monday, September 21, 2020

Stellars….

Beautiful Alaska…

Banff National Park is Canada’s oldest national park, established in 1885…

• Menagerie says:

Thanks Lucille, I loved Alaska when I went to visit. Maybe someday I can go again!

• Lucille says:

You’re welcome, Menagerie! The other day I found this fascinating article about Alaska and the phenomenon of mirages and optical illusions taking place there and elsewhere in the Arctic region…

“Mirages and other optical illusions occur in the Arctic because of special atmospheric conditions that bend light. A superior mirage occurs when an image of an object appears above the actual object. Superior mirages sometimes appear in the Arctic because of the weather condition known as a temperature inversion, where cold air lies close to the ground with warmer air above it. Since cold air is denser than warm air, it bends light towards the eyes of someone standing on the ground, changing how a distant object appears.

“Superior mirages can produce a few different types of images: Distant objects can appear to float high above their actual position, for example a boat can look like it is floating in the sky, or an object below the horizon can become visible. This is known as a looming type of superior mirage. Superior mirages can also distort images so that the object appears stretched and elevated, called towering.”

All About Arctic Climatology and Meteorology

• The Tundra PA says:

Maybe someday I can go again!

I surely hope so!!

2. Menagerie says:

Good Monday morning everyone. It’s a beautiful morning here in the Tennessee Valley. Went out for a look at the stars at 4 and the sky was clear and the temp at a time wonderful 57 with that brisk fall feel. It’s dropped to 54 now and we will be around 75 for the high. Just cannot get better than that.

Life is good.

Lovely, where the heck are you? Litenmause, I know you’re poking around creating something. Got projects?

My husband brought home the neatest swing yesterday. It’s covered, which makes it nice for the patio, extra wide, and has small drink tables attached to it. Nice cushions. Going to be a wonderful place for me to spend time as the foot is healing. Fall, sweaters, and a book in a swing, can’t ask for more, except maybe a mug of hot tea to go on that table. I’ve not mastered the wheelchair and carrying a hot mug though!

I’ll be out of this thing in a few weeks. I’m sure it’ll take a week or so, after I can walk to actually be able to do it much even for daily life, but boy so looking forward to it.

I’m glad to hear you are feeling well, and that Fall has arrived. I welcomed it here too.

• litenmaus says:

Afternoon Menagerie….:0) It is nice to hear that you are healing and enjoying the importance of hot tea on a cool fall day…

I am sorry to report that I have no fun projects to share with you. I have given up on my dream of relighting my torches and have been trying to figure out just exactly where I am at this point in my journey of life….”0) I do however, have a couple little projects planned for this winter, so hopefully one day, I’ll have something to share…..

• The Tundra PA says:

Such good news, Menagerie! You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers every day, and I’m so glad to hear that you are healing well. I’m envious of your new swing! My DH refuses to put holes in the porch ceiling for the eyebolts to hold one. And I don’t want a glider, I want a real porch swing. So glad it is finally fall down South. My favorite season.

• Menagerie says:

It’s a freestanding swing, has a canopy, not cloth, but metal. Nice set up for our small patio, the part that isn’t covered. I went out after lunch and spent the rest of the afternoon out there.

Mornin’ all!

4. czarowniczy says:

The Emmy producers say that last night’s ‘virtual Emmy’ program pointed out a problem when polling determined that most viewers thought the cardboard cutouts of the celebrities showed more personality than the celebrities themselves.

• glendl says:

I do not see those mayors as being “weak”.
      I believe they are doing is part of someone’s plan and that the end result will be a Biden victory.
      It takes strength to act opposite the norm. At no other time in history has the leadership allowed and enabled the anarchists to their destruction. There have been times when the leadership did not have the ability to end the anarchy.

Why Is FOX News Preventing Negative Reporting of George Soros? Gingrich and Toensing Speak Out
    By Joe Hoft – Published September 21, 2020 at 8:20am

We’ve reported on Creepy George Soros and his actions that have destroyed the inner cities in the US.

Anti American George Soros was interviewed by 60 Minutes years ago. In this infamous interview Soros claimed to have no shame for turning in fellow Jews to the Nazis in World War II Hungary. The Nazis stole from the Jews and Soros claimed that if he didn’t do it, someone else would. This is the man many believe is behind today’s modern corrupt Democrat Party….

• glendl says:

Soros backed Hillary for President from until 2008 when he switched his money to 0bama. Soros was behind the Financial Crash in 2008. Soros was buying the Dollar on the open market and the Treasury Dept caught onto it and began dumping Dollars on the market and then Soros sold his dollars and millions got caught holding much less than what they paid for them.
      The Defense Intelligence Agency investigated and issued a report in early 2011. Soros was behind it. I suspected Soros when I heard about it because he has done the same in Thailand, Malaysia, or Singapore. Then he moved onto the United Kingdom and caused the Pound to be devalued by half.

The run on the Dollar in 2008 never made the news. I first read about it in a Diana West column in November 2008. In my opinion, West is the best columnist because she writes like an American, She calls it like she sees it and takes no prisoners.

A group of photos from National Geographic contests…some I made note of the photographers, others I didn’t. But since I’ve not been climbing around Indonesia, Antarctica, Tanzania or other African locales, it can be assumed that none of the photos are mine….

“Light From Heaven” by Pimpin Nagawan of Mount Bromo, East Java, Indonesia

Mount Kilimanjaro, Tanzania

The edge of an iceberg floating just off the coast of Antarctica. (Photo and caption by Mike Matas)

• Sharon says:

Oh, goodness. Beautiful, beautiful work, capturing detail and contrasts, large and small.

• Lucille says:

Spent hours looking at still shots and making a note of many. Sometimes a photographer just happens upon a scene. Other times he has to sit for hours, hoping for the right moment. Here’s one with the photographer’s explanation, though he doesn’t say where he was…perhaps that’s proprietary information he doesn’t want to share….

When the wave conditions are right a wave appears, infrequently, as a result of the splash back off the cliff connecting with an incoming wave. This causes the incoming wave to pop up, creating fan-like shapes. On this particular day, over the two hours I spent on the rocks, this wave only appeared once. This is that shot. (Photo and caption by Aaron Feinberg).

• Sharon says:

Just beautiful.

My oldest brother was a Naval photographer for 28 years (including time in Antarctica and also with NASA, training astronauts for photography they would be doing).

When he retired, he eventually went into nature photography, lots of bird closeups in bird refuges across the country. Prior to the nature work, he had been doing aerial photography for civil engineers, taking photos of areas that were going to be developed for dams, highways, etc. so they could get a bird’s eye view of their site and their project. All of that got shut down after 9-11, for quite awhile so he switched focus.

I really appreciate how much can be captured in a great photo! Thank you for your time and sharing these!

• Lucille says:

Sharon, I hope your brother framed a lot of his photos as either gifts for family to treasure or for professional sales. I suspect with the new Space Force, interest will pick up for everything NASA.

In the days before the Internet, I spent many hours in libraries looking through photography books and attending showings. When I retired I had a large collection of movie photography books and publicity stills. To slim down possessions, I gave everything to a friend as additions to her humongous private collection of photos, antique posters and other movie memorabilia. Nowadays I can and do spend hours surfing the Net viewing and collecting and am glad to share my finds.

• Sharon says:

He did do some of that – as far as his Antarctic work, that continues to be available because he gave it all to the expeditions archives that are maintained for study at Ohio State University (with regard to Arctic and Antarctic expeditions)

• litenmaus says:

Soooo pretty…thx Lucille.

• Lucille says:

You’re welcome, litenmaus. Here’s one hilarious shot which I just love…

Curious gulls on Sanibel Island, Florida. Meet my friend, “Gull-i-Bel”!!! (Photo and caption by Richard Rush).

Trump and GOP will CONFIRM CONSERVATIVE JUSTICE as PANICKED Dems Threaten CIVIL WAR!!!
    September 21, 2020 – Dr. Steve Turley

• Lucille says:

Graham does the right thing on occasion. Not enough to create admiration for his character, however. IMO he is a follower by mindset, not a leader, and is unduly influenced by strong personalities like John McCain. Growing a pair just isn’t in him.

8. glendl says: