Celebrate!

I cry when I listen to this song, but I feel pride at the same time.

I’m celebrating my country today, its Independence, its beauty, and essential goodness. You all know that about half of the population says that they aren’t profoundly proud of the United States of America, and it is sad that a large proportion of Americans don’t know our history, and don’t know what we celebrate today, and why.

The USA is the Great Experiment of Freedom and, as Ben Franklin once said, responding to a question, “Well, what have we got – a Republic or a Monarchy?”,

A Republic, if you can keep it.

National Pride is making a comeback.  Globalism is in decline, and I truly hope that trend continues. Can we restore our Republic? It’s possible, but we have a lot of work to do.

So let’s celebrate today. Let’s fly our flags, watch a parade, eat a celebratory meal with our family, enjoy the fireworks. At the same time, let’s recommit ourselves to the battle ahead – a battle for the country we love. We should join with our fellow citizens, setting aside our minor differences, to uphold and restore the important things about being an American.

MemorialDayParade

One of my favorites, celebrating our country.

16 Responses to Celebrate!

HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY, STELLARS….

2. czarowniczy says:

3. jeans2nd says:

Little, if anything, makes me cry, but there is one line in Toby Keith’s song that always brings a joyous laugh –
    “We’ll put a boot in yer arse, it’s the American way…”

Have told you all this story before, but here we go again.
    GPa Oscar, born in Norway, was serving on the USS Brooklyn in China, before our entry into WWI iirc.
    The ship was under strict orders, no fighting with the Russians. Brand spanking new Americans always followed orders.
    But after taking all the verbal Russian abuse anyone could stand, GPa Oscar assisted the Russian down the ladder (stairs to civilians) by firmly planting an American boot in the Russian’s arse…
    Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue.

• czarowniczy says:

I liked listening to the whiners complaining that the ‘…boot in the ass…’ portion was to violent, militaristic and didn’t encourage conflict resolution without force. Hmmmmm…it is and it does – but it works.

4. czarowniczy says:

Celebrating today, it’s my youngest son’s 44th birthday. Yup, that was a Bicentennial Minute.

Independence Day, Without Fear or Apology
    July 4, 2020 11:30 AM By ROBERT SPENCER

As President Trump said in his historic Mount Rushmore speech last night, “Our nation is witnessing a merciless campaign to wipe out our history, defame our heroes, erase our values, and indoctrinate our children.”

6. lovely says:

“Riverview Fireworks 1954” – an artwork I did illustrating my memory of watching Riverview Park fireworks as a toddler with my parents from the classic Chicago wooden porch of our 3-story apartment building at Wellington and Whipple in the Avondale neighborhood near Logan Square.”__Glenn Galen

7. lovely says:

Love this! May make a copy for my wall 🙂 !

Great post, Stella!