Making History: NASA and SpaceX Launch Astronauts to Space!

UPDATE!!   The launch has been scrubbed, due to bad weather. Next launch opportunity is Saturday at 3:22 pm.

Pre-launch broadcast is in progress! VP Pence is there, along with Elon Musk.

Watch history unfold on Wednesday, May 27, as NASA and SpaceX launch astronauts Robert Behnken and Douglas Hurley to the International Space Station. This mission marks the first time since the retirement of the space shuttle in 2011 that humans will fly to the space station from U.S. soil. Tune in starting at 12:15 p.m. EDT as NASA and SpaceX provide joint, live coverage from launch to arrival at the space station. Teams are targeting 4:33 p.m. EDT for the launch of the SpaceX Crew Dragon spacecraft atop a Falcon 9 rocket from historic Launch Complex 39A at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida. The Crew Dragon is scheduled to dock to the space station at 11:29 a.m. Thursday, May 28. Learn more about the mission: https://www.nasa.gov/launchamerica/

This entry was posted in Current Events, News. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Making History: NASA and SpaceX Launch Astronauts to Space!

I didn’t think I would get excited about this launch, but I am. I hope every thing goes well. Oh, and their new spacesuits are really cool.

I called my DIL to make sure my grands were watching. They are 21/2 and 4 1/2. She said my son watches when they send the rockets up and the girls always want to watch with him. They even know the acronyms and ask questions about them. They are very interested and so they are all waiting for the launch.

• auscitizenmom says:

Well, poo. I went to the bathroom and came back to that news. 😦 I hope I will be able to see it on Sat. We will be at a time-share in Orlando. We will have wi-fi, but you never know if it will work and you never know what kind of TV reception you can get. Sometimes you can’t get local.

• czarowniczy says:

Welcome to the club, guess those of us who live in flyover country jes don’ de-serve internet, quality cell service or TV reception.

I remember having my Senator’s office say they’d email me some paperwork to download, fill out and send back. I said that we don’t have the ability to do that as we have to use our cells as internet hotspots. “How come you don’t have internet where you live?”, she asked. “Because twice that I know of, and probably more, you’ve spent $2-billion to get internet to rural areas and no one within five counties of us in rural areas has got it yet!”, I replied. “I’ll look into that and get back with you”, she replied. That was 2018 and I’m still waiting.

Yeah, I’d like to know what the government does with the exorbitant taxes they charge on our cable bills that were supposed to be used for such things.

• czarowniczy says:

Well, it’s expensive to give all of those welfare recipients free cells, cell use and internet…the gov’s gotta pay for it somehow. I sorta cringe when I go into the Big Easy and see row after row of the 21st century projects’ ‘multi-income housing’, with free internet and cell phones so they can conduct ‘business’. I have pay for services for them that even we didn’t have two years ago, one of which we still don’t have.

Who’s going to take care of them when we’re starved out?

• czarina33 says:

Yeah, I was right here ready, but I’ll do what I can to see it on Saturday. Got the GGS, trying to build in him the enthusiasm we had as kids…

• jeans2nd says:

Bummer. Shall sulk until Sat.

3. czarowniczy says:

Great, now we’re free of the national embarrassment of having to pay the Russians to launch our astronauts to the International (but mostly our) Space Station.

The previous administration redirected funds from NASA to the care and feeding of their usual sheep in the innercities as well as importing new flocks from South of the Border that needed extensive tending.

Being preeminent in space is vital to our national survival, that’s why Trump created Space Force. I was with Space Command and have a good grasp of what we and others are doing up there, if we lose that premier control of space we have we can’t survive down here, it’s that simple, whoever controls that high ground controls the real ground, period. During the previous administration the Chinese were given, bought and stole (stealing being predominant and with no real consequences for the Chinese) our space technology and pulled up very close to us. Obama was comfortable with the Chicoms having a commanding hand in space, makes me wonder if his Chinese side was stronger than his Moslem side or if he just hated America so much that he wanted to hedge hius bet and have another nation ready to destroy America in case his earlier choice failed.

Russia may lose money but it is happy to see the US staying in the #1 slot. Russia may never again have the space abilities it did in its USSR days, even stealing US technologies as it did in its USSR days, but I’m sure it feels a damn site more comfortable with the US being number 1 than it would China. I also believe that the Russians, as well as a number of other countries, fear that if a Democrat wins the White House in November the Chinese will be back to closing on number 1 in space as monies needed by NASA will be needed to service the roiling mass of non- and quasi-English speaking sheep in their flock…among other wasteful programs. They’ll say that it’s a ‘joint’ and peaceful use of space with the Chinese and we’re cooperating and not competing to ‘explain’ the fund cuts but the Chinese will continue to, as they have in the past, heavily fund the military portion of their ‘dual use’ space program while we wind back.

Meanwhile the intel sections of Space Command and Force will have those all-too-frequent ‘Oh S***’ intel briefings on what is going on up there nd the Chinese will pour money into their offensive use of space in their national interests. They may be on the verge of controlling space but we’ll have the fattest, best fed and pampered welfare recipients of any 2nd place country in the world!

• jeans2nd says:

You left out China feeding space and rocket info to NoKo who fields it to Tehran.
      Fun and games in the wild blue yonder.

• czarowniczy says:

That’s another topic entirely, like Tehran’s new ‘Tomahawk’ subroc to match Israel’s slightly older ‘Tomahawk’ they don’t officially have.