General Discussion, Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Image | This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to General Discussion, Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Have a blessed Ash Wednesday…

2. Gary says:

Good Morning Everyone, I wish you all a wonderful and blessed day.

Mornin’ Lucille and Gary. It looks pretty outside, but we were supposed to have some rain. I don’t know if it rained or not.

• Lucille says:

Good morning, aus! I awoke to Google having removed me from Chrome and placing me into an old version of gmail PLUS they won’t allow me to view YouTubes anymore! My browser has been updated to the allowed limit for my ancient 2008 Mini Mac hard drive.

It wasn’t really a surprise because for the last month they’ve been telling me to update or I wouldn’t be supported anymore. When I tried to discover exactly what “supported” meant, I couldn’t find out anything that was clear…all they had to say was the above was going to happen. But, no, they had to be cryptic. Oh, well! LOL!

LIFE!

Mornin’ kids!

• czarowniczy says:

I like the tradition that started in NOLA about 30ish years ago with drive-thru assh sites. If you still have that Mardi Gras hangover and just can’t deal with standing in line you can cruise thru the the drive-thru lane, the priest will apply your ashes right through the car window, and you’re right back in the commute traffic before the light changes.

• czarowniczy says:

There’s a piece on the news right now about an ash dispensing station in Metairie (NOLA bedroom community) that’s moved its operations to a street area 3 blocks from the church. It’s so popular that traffic’s backed up for blocks so they found a wider street, installed traffic monitors and created two lanes – one for single occupant cars and one for multiple occupant cars.

• Gary says:

That’s TOO funny!!!!

• Menagerie says:

I got Father’s Revenge this time. Usually it is the Blob or Rorschach.

6. czarowniczy says:

All right, health fans, if you’re scared that a few potato chips are going to send you straight into the CICU or into diabetic shock we have good news for you! No need to sneak your fingers into that dip bowl due to chipophobia, we now have chips made from whole chicken breast bonded with tapioca flour!

Go for that queso dip with a chicken chip, rest easier, and at about $6 for a 2.5 ounce bag the only ‘shock’ you’ll have to worry about is sticker shock. Chew on!

This Week’s Big Dow Drop Was Ordinary, Not Extraordinary

Monday’s big plunge, which took over a thousand points off the Dow, undeniably came as a big shock. And Tuesday’s was almost as painful, shearing off another 879 points, or 3.15%, to close at 27,081.36 — the index’s worst two-day drop yet.

But these declines shouldn’t have been so surprising.

On the contrary, drops as big as Monday’s, which measured 3.56% for the Dow Jones Industrial Average, are an inevitable feature of the stock market. Prior to Monday, in fact, the stock market had gone three times longer than average without a decline as big.

Why, then, are you complaining?

I base my comments on a groundbreaking 2003 study titled Institutional Investors and Stock Market Volatility, by Xavier Gabaix, now a finance professor at Harvard University, and three scientists at Boston University’s Center for Polymer Studies: H. Eugene Stanley; Parameswaran Gopikrishnan, and Vasiliki Plerou. The researchers came up with a formula that predicts the frequency of big daily market drops over long periods of time.

According to their formula, a drop of 3.56% or more will occur every 7.3 months, on average. As fate would have it, of course, prior to Monday it actually had been more than two years (since Feb. 8, 2018) since the Dow suffered a daily drop of at least this magnitude.

This suggests we were being unrealistic if we thought years like 2019, in which there was no drop as big as Monday’s, are the norm. On the contrary, last year led us to become spoiled rotten.

Luckily I’ve saved dozens of YouTubes. I enjoyed this one last evening…

Highland Cathedral
    Music Show Scotland

• Lucille says:

Turns out I CAN listen to YouTube for the time being, but right now I can no longer comment on the vids, give a thumbs up, or subscribe to any channels, and my account has been cancelled so I can’t use their “send” section to post any vids to my friends. If Google decides to cancel my email addresses, I certainly hope they give me specific notice.

There is a notice that I must comply to their new guidelines by March 31st. I tried reading them but they seem a lot of gobblygook to me. Hahahaha…I guess whatever is going to happen will happen.

LIFE, QUADRUPLED!

• czarina33 says:

Actually, you could just click “ok” and agree to whatever, like the rest of us do. They expect everyone will, after all. I tried reading some of that stuff….whew! But if they want me to do something other than just click, I have to get someone with special knowledge.

• Lucille says:

I’m afraid to click or they might be able to claim I owe them money…LOL!

I apparently clicked on something one time but wasn’t aware of it…turned out to be signing up for my own video channel…and without even knowing what it was about, people signed up to be notified when a vid came out…I tried every which way to cancel the doggone thing…hahahahaha! but never could. Now that Google cancelled the blamed thing today, I don’t have to worry any more about it…LOL!

“The Road Is Fine” by Nick Neblo

THE STORY BEHIND THE ROAD IS FINE
    The Road Is Fine is mix of Gipsy swing, country and folk music, with a personal touch and upbeat cheerful rhythm. A happy positive song in English. Lyrics are open to interpretation, the main points being we do not need the fanciest stuff to be happy and everyone can live their own lives as they prefer, we are all in the same boat. Our road has no obstacles if you learn how to avoid them. Carpe diem!

Note: I still can’t pinpoint his accent. Perhaps it’s British Romany (Gypsy). Did you know that the Romany people are originally from India? Whoever he is, I have great affection for him and his work.

Not being a New Yorker I seldom paid much attention to NYCs newspapers, though I did occasionally read the humongous Sunday edition of the NEW YORK TIMES which my boss subscribed to in the 1960s. Until about a year ago I’d never heard of the NEW YORK SUN, but I’ve found them to have a quite reasonable and clever editorial board.

2nd Circuit Hits a Homer on Sanctuary Cities
    Editorial of The New York Sun | February 26, 2020

What a constitutional home run the Second United States Circuit Court of Appeals just clobbered against, among others, the “sanctuary city” of New York. It cleared the way for Attorney General Barr to require recipients of certain federal funds to cooperate with federal authorities. It would take the Yankees announcer John Sterling to do the opinion justice. Let us just say, “It is high. It is far. It is — gone.”

Well, this is gross. I mostly object to the lack of hand washing.

Unclean’ French continue to flout basic personal hygiene rules, study suggests

A third of French people don’t wash their hands after going to the toilet and less than half before eating, while a fifth of Frenchmen change their underwear twice a week at best.

These are some of the unsavoury findings of a new study into personal hygiene in France, which researchers and Gallic doctors say leaves a lot to be desired. The findings stand to reinforce stereotypes that the French take a laisser-faire approach to cleanliness.

The survey by pollster Ifop found the French continued to display “ignorance of basic sanitary rules, despite public health messages and the current [coronavirus] context.”

Only 37 per cent wash their hands after using public transport and 71 per cent after going to the lavatory.

The study was commissioned by Diogène France, a group specialising in cleaning insalubrious housing from sufferers of Diogenes syndrome- a disorder characterised by extreme self-neglect, domestic squalor and compulsive hoarding.

A quarter of the country failed to take a “complete wash” every day, it found.

I remember Lucy Worsley reporting in one of her programs that some of her older coworkers told her that, “when I was a girl, I only had one bath a week.” I know that modern bathrooms were not ubiquitous in many English homes until probably the 1970’s, so this isn’t surprising.

I imagine that if I had to heat water to fill a tin bath (like my mother did when she was a girl), I might resort to partial bathing on a daily basis!

Speaking of that, I remember vaguely an amusing passage in a book about early 20th century New Orleans in which a New York transplant expressed horror at the bathing facilities available in her new home. Her husband pointed out that they had foot baths and sitz baths and bathing containers for other parts of the body, so they probably could cover the entire body by the end of the day. I think it was written by Francis Parkinson Keyes.

Another Francis P Keyes novel comment I remember was about a woman who married in her late 40’s. The woman said about her that “She didn’t want to die wondering.”

• Lucille says:

Frances Parkinson Keyes’ novel “Dinner at Antoine’s” was one of my favorite books when I was in junior high and I read it several times. An older couple in our church gave my parents a box of books for them, my sister and me. I grabbed the Keyes novel to keep in my room. My sister wasn’t interested because she was so into Grace Livingston Hill books she didn’t want to read anything else except for Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes series.

Well, that was super interesting! I just got off an hour long call with one of my U. S. Senators, Jim Risch. He took questions, if you spoke with one of his aides beforehand. I didn’t put in a question this time around. I was on another call last year with him where I did present a question, but it turned out to be one that someone already in the queue was asking.

He was quite complimentary toward President Trump and doesn’t seem to be shy about letting the President know where he stands on the issues. Thank God, he’s totally against sanctuary cities, against the Iran nuclear deal Obama bumbled into, about lowering taxes but he’s also concerned about our mounting trillions of debt. He also feels President Trump is doing a fine job re trade negotiations and is for the USMCA, though he did have doubts in the beginning about the President being successful seeing as he had no political/diplomatic governmental experience. He was happy President Trump did so well.

Anyway, I really enjoy this benefit our Senator offers, and hope he keeps me on his list.

• Lucille says:

That wasn’t quite clear…Senator Risch is concerned about lowering taxes (doesn’t seem to have a problem with it) but is also VERY concerned that we are so incredibly in debt and adding instead of subtracting money every day.

• Gary says:

My Senator is Cory Booker, I can’t even imagine ten minutes much less an hour. The only reason he’d keep me on the line that long was to send a dem death squad to the correct address. I could always contact my backup…Menendez