General Discussion, Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Lake Michigan, St. Joseph

54 Responses to General Discussion, Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Stellars…

2. lovely says:

Good morning Stellars 🙂 !

What a morning! There was a note on my door yesterday from the apt. office saying they had to turn the water off at 9:00 this morning. So, I planned to get up early and take a shower and eat breakfast before 9:00. Well, I woke up at 7:00 and the power was out. Annnnnd, today is the coldest day we have had. I think it got down to 32* last night. It was 62* inside. I hadn’t turned on the heat anyway because even without it, the temp inside was staying up to about 67*. And, since the sun usually comes out and shines through the 8′ sliding glass doors in my livingroom and heats it up, it isn’t a problem. Winter is here! LOL 😀

Mornin’ kids!

Mornin’ WeeWeed!

• michellc says:

Mornin’ Wee!

I punished myself by staying up and listening to all of it last night, including Nadler accusing Senators of treason and a cover up.

Roberts should have said something at that point, but nope he had to wait until Trump’s attorney fought back and then said something to look like he was being fair.

Then I listened to pundits saying how smart Schumer is with offering all the amendments and allowing the House to try the case. They went on and on, it was boring and stupid and now all they can do is repeat the same shit all over again. So I was having a hard time figuring out how they thought this was smart.

• WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ Michelle!

• auscitizenmom says:

Just like in school. One kid hits another, causing a small commotion, getting the attention of the teacher just in time to see the 2nd student hit back be repremanded. I warned my son about this type of thing when he was really little.

• michellc says:

I’ve never heard a prosecutor tell jurors if they don’t vote the way they want then they’re an accessory to a crime.

But then the demon side seems to think our Constitution states trials are to be fair to prosecutors and allow them to do as they please instead of trials are to be fair to the accused.

• Lucille says:

Good morning, WeeWeed! Messy brains (or missing brains)!

My boss had a large glass table for his desk…no drawers, just an inbox and an outbox…a mind like a steel trap kept note of everything he neatly stacked in one pile he was working through…and a credenza behind the desk to hold whatevers.

• czarowniczy says:

They’re just abuildin’ up kindling for the auto-de-fe. To bad them city boys and girls don’t know that when ya lites a big fire ya stands upwind.

Insignificant things to ponder…has anyone ever made a snow angel…

…on Mt. Everest…

6. czarowniczy says:

I think the Chinese government’s going to dictate a change in the more exotic Chinese dietary habits rather soon.

The WHO’s been looking at the Wuhan virus outbreak in China and has found that just as in the Chinese SARS outbreak in 2002 in Guangdong there is an exotic animal wet market in Wuhan. In 2003 the SARS virus was traced back to a bat virus that transferred to civet cats and then humans, with the Wuhan virus the WHO is looking at an exotic animal dining list that reads like exhibit list as the San Diego Zoo. The WHO is attacking this from, among other angles, a virus carried in by some wild animals(s) brought in to the market for the local’s dining leasure.

The WHO isn’t grasping at straws, diseases such as HIV and ebola are heavily favored to have been brought in from the relatively wild areas of Africa as hunters go deeper and deeper into the boonies hunting for bush meat and pets for the expanding market. China can’t afford to have new viruses introduced into its extremely densely packed population so something’s gotta go.

• michellc says:

Something else to kill us.

My grandson got sick two days after Christmas and of course then his sister caught it, his parents caught it and my husband and I both caught it. Whatever it is hangs around forever, I was the last to catch it, so I’m still battling it, my husband was hit harder by it than anything he’s ever had, he’s just getting back to himself this week. Anyway talking to the family doctor and telling him these viruses seems different than anymore and take longer to get well. He’s a very conservative man and doesn’t pull any punches and said it’s because of all the illegals and immigrants from third world countries bringing in bugs we’ve never been exposed to before. He said it’s the worst kept secret, all doctors know it, state health departments know it, CDC knows it, but they’d rather you believe it’s just normal ol’ bugs or the common flu. They’d rather you believe they miss on the vaccine than to admit what’s going on.

• czarowniczy says:

Czarina’s a medical worker and she knows about the interesting things that the aliens can bring with them as well as drug users and those who ignore the dangers of dangerous sex. They’re warned but they still have to be PC to their own possible detriment. My fav is seeing the hospital staff wearing face masks during the flu season – not because they’re worried about getting the flu but because they refuse to get the flu shot.

When I worked the border I got a raft of shots, my shot record looked like a CDC inventory list, but as we couldn’t be sure who or what we’d run into (and the Army LOVES to give shots) we were so immune we could eat at the Tijuana Mickey D’s with no worries.

• michellc says:

My sister has been getting the flu shot for years, the past three years she has caught the flu or what they tell her is the flu.

In our part of the state we have seen a steady increase in Hispanics, Asians and Muslims and with that uptick we’re seeing more and more strange illnesses going around.

The flu shot is never 100% effective against all of the flu virus strains. They guess every year which ones will be circulating. Many times they are wrong.

• michellc says:

They seem to miss it more than not, at least the last few years.
              This year supposedly people are testing positive for type A and B and most of those have had the flu shot.
              Whatever we had though was not the flu, I’ve had the flu enough times over the years to know what it feels like. Many people who have had or have what we have though are being told it’s the flu.

• czarowniczy says:

Problem is that the CDC flu gurus have to guess this year what strains will be around next year so they can tell the vaccine shops what strains to brew up. This year we find out that the strain most of the kids are getting here ain’t one of the ones in this year’s soup. Docs say that even though they’re not protected they won’t get as sick as they would if they didn’t have the shot. If I gave that kind of excuse to my Mom for my behavior she’d box my ears around.,

• michellc says:

Around here people are being told they’re testing positive for Type A and B who have had the flu shot.
              I’m not 100% convinced the tests are trustworthy.

My grandson stepped on a nail last week and he was due for his DPT that they recommend between 4 and 6. He didn’t get it at 4 because his pediatrician had a heart attack and was gone for 8 months. My daughter called to get the shots there, but they were backed up for a month due to him only working half days. So the only place she could take him was the health department, she said she overheard the nurses joking when someone came in wanting the flu shot that they’d give it, but once again you might as well take a shot of honey as it would give you more protection than the shot.
              She questioned the nurse who gave him the shot and suddenly she was all serious and the flu shot was really important.

BTW the health department charges more for vaccines than the pediatrician.

• czarowniczy says:

I get my flu shot at Walgreens – no sweat, no bother and it’s hours faster than my doctor’s office. Walgreens has their vaccines early on whereas my monster Hospital Inc usually has it well after the chain drug stores.

My primary physiiucan acts a bit piqued that I use a chain drug store but I want my shot, for what it’s worth, early as possible. They also want to bill my insurance for an office visit and develop some other vein of billing too, if they can. It’s more about their fiscal benefits than my physical ones.

Last year when we had the measles going thru I called my doc’s office to see id I could get a bring-up shot as I’m not immune -I’ve had measles 3 times. They didn’t want to give me the shot, they wanted me to have a titer test first, a more expensive insurance billing, then if I showed no immunity I’d come in to get a shot – another billing.

As it were my titers came back as at the lowest measurable limits but doc says that if I get sick I can come in and they’ll treat me – more billing. It’s karma…

• michellc says:

I don’t get flu shots. Around here most doctors don’t have any kind of immunizations unless it’s pediatricians, so you either go to the lab at the hospital that does give them or the health department outside of Walgreens, but I believe flu shots is all they have.

When I need a tetanus I usually go to the Health Department, but for adults they only charge $10 for a tetanus. That’s why I was surprised they were so expensive for kids vaccines, but I haven’t had one in probably 3 or 4 years so maybe they’re more now.

I found out that Medicare doesn’t pay for a DPT shot.

• michellc says:

A lot of insurance companies won’t pay for adults either, I wonder why?

• czarowniczy says:

I get the flu shot, I’ve had the flu before and it’s no fun. I have urgent care and a localish hospital I can use if I need a tetanus shot but if I got a tetanus shot every time I cut/poked/scraped myself out here I’d have one of those ‘tear along perforated line’ arms.

I used to get my flu shot for free at work. This year I got it when I was in the hospital. Also got the pneumonia shot this year.

• czarowniczy says:

I got my pneumonia shot as soon as they said I should, was told that I was now safe from getting ‘The Old Man’s Friend’. A couple of months later I got a call to come in as they had a newer and more betterer pneumonia vaccine that would really REALLY protect me more betterer.

7. czarowniczy says:

Oregon is testing out its remote voting program for upcoming elections. They’re all proud about how this will let voters who find themselves outside of the state or even out of the country to use their electronic devices to vote. They’re assuring us that programs are in place to prevent fraud and nothing can go wrong…can go wrong…can go wrong…

Let’s see how happy Oregon voters will be when they awaken the day after the election and find out Kim Jong-il is governor.

8. michellc says:

I just read the most ignorant thing on FB. A local police department made a post and said people were going around town and stealing things out of cars and even stealing cars parked in driveways, so to just lock your car doors to stop it. If you don’t lock your doors then it’s an invitation.

They didn’t seem to like people commenting that if the police don’t want to do their job then they have no choice but to defend their own property.

It seemed more like blaming the victim, when the problem with stealing is there are no consequences for it anymore unless a property owner does defend their own property. The police don’t even investigate it anymore, much less arrest anyone and on the rare occasion they do actually arrest one, usually when a homeowner has kept them there to be arrested, the courts do nothing to them. Thieves know this.

• michellc says:

That was my thought as well. Then I read the reviews and women actually buy them and one woman says she uses sea sponges, but is going to try these.

Well, thank God I don’t have to worry about that these days.

• michellc says:

It’s always amazing to me that women, many of whom always claim Republicans want to take us back to the 50’s want to take themselves back to when women didn’t have things that make their life easier.

I guess it’s still better than those who want everyone to see them menstruate.

• Menagerie says:

Lots of young women, including one of my nieces, are washing diapers again. As I am long past child bearing age, I haven’t cared enough to see if there any real advantages to this.

When my oldest was born Tidy Didy kept me from washing diapers, but still, yuck on all involved stuff, especially plastic pants. I was happy when disposable diapers became available.

• michellc says:

Washing diapers I can handle, but if I still had to worry about feminine items I’d still be praising that they came up with disposable.

I certainly though don’t get crocheted tampons, not only is that gross, is it even safe?