General Discussion, Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Image | This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

143 Responses to General Discussion, Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Heavenly Hummingbirds…

Yesterday there were a number of posts about trees. Just ran across this interesting article for those who live in Dallas. Several years ago there was a plague attacking the Italian Cypress trees…don’t know if it’s been alleviated or eliminated or is still ongoing…

Healthy Italian Cypresses…

• czarowniczy says:

Those is jes babies.

• czarowniczy says:

They tried blaming the deaths on weather (too cold) and environmental stresses but there are some fungi, viruses and bugs that attack them.

We stuck with regular American cypress, we have some in the back yard and some off to the SW. They were all seedlings too and are about 25 feet now with a super shape. They’re interesting in that ours dies off in the fall from the bottom up and green up in the spring from the top down.

Doors at St Peter’s Basilica are made from Med cypress but I ain’t counting on ours being a wood source any time soon, it takes about 125 years for the heartwood to even start forming and the tree’s not even considered mature for another 125 or so and can go on for hundreds of years after that. Not something you wanna look at for a quick profit.

3. czarowniczy says:

Got notification about three weeks ago that the Army has finally recognized my disability as combat related and that means not only now some 75% of my military retirement pay is tax exempt but if my inevitable demise can be shown to be related to my disability she gets a monthly stipend. So getting damaged in combat does have an upside!

VALERIE PLAME JOINS OMAR, TLAIB, IN GETTING A MEDIA PASS ON ANTI-SEMITISM
    May 14, 2019 by Daniel Greenfield

Nora the Polar Bear playing in ice after surgery
    Utah Hogle Zoo

6. lovely says:

Good morning folks πŸ™‚ .

Awesome keyhole windows on a home in Chicago. Dearborn for those familiar with the city.

I hear that we might be hitting 80Β° here one of these days !

Mornin’ kids! What fresh hell today…….

8. Stella…. that bright blue bird at the top is adorable!

9. Liked by 5 people

10. nyetneetot says:

Mornin’ stella! (Smiter of those that ought to be smote) 😎 🍸 (Long Island Iced Tea)
    Mornin’ WeeWeed! (Master Mixologist Extrodinare) 😎 🍸 (Old Fashioned)
    Mornin’ Menagerie! 😎 |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| (Jack Daniels – Single Barrel)
    Mornin’ Ad rem! (Queen Felis catus) 🐱 🍸 (Flaming Lamborghini)
    Mornin’ Sharon! 😎 🍸 🍸 (earthquake)
    Mornin’ ytz4mee! 😎 🍸 (cosmopolitan)
    Mornin’ waltzingmtilda! πŸ™‚ 🍸 (white wine and perrier)
    Mornin’ partyzantski! πŸ™‚ |_| (Tom Collins)
    Mornin’ texan59! πŸ™‚ |_| (Black & Tan)
    Mornin’ ZurichMike! πŸ™‚ 🍸 (fuzzy navel)
    Mornin’ Col.(R) Ken! (hand salute) πŸ™‚ |_| (Boilermaker)
    Mornin’ czarina33! (aka czarina) πŸ™‚ 🍸 (Lynchburg Lemonade)
    Mornin’ czarowniczy! πŸ™‚ |_| (Wild Turkey Rare Breed)
    Mornin’ letjusticeprevail2014! πŸ™‚ |_| (Irish Car Bomb)
    Mornin’ Patriot1783-ctdar! (aka “ctdar”) πŸ™‚ 🍸 (grasshopper)
    Mornin’ tessa50! πŸ™‚ 🍸 (flaming volcano)
    Mornin’ waltzingmtilda! πŸ™‚ 🍸 (sidecar)
    Mornin’ varsityward! πŸ™‚ |_| (Godfather)
    Mornin’ MaryfromMarin! πŸ˜€ |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| (Mortlach)
    Mornin’ Wooly Covfefe! (aka “Wooly Phlox” aka “taqiyyologist”) πŸ™‚ |_| (Roy Rogers)
    Mornin’ Howie! (aka “doodahdaze”) πŸ™‚ |_| (Classic Daiquiri)
    Mornin’ TwoLaine! πŸ™‚ |_| (Gin & Tonic)
    Mornin’ Sha! πŸ™‚ 🍸 (Lemon Drop)
    Mornin’ BigMamaTEA! πŸ™‚ 🍸 (Harvey Wallbanger)
    Mornin’ cetera5! (aka “Cetera”) πŸ™‚ |_| (Blackberry wine)
    Mornin’ The Tundra PA! πŸ™‚ 🍸 (Gentleman Jack Whiskey Sling)
    Mornin’ lovely! πŸ™‚ |_| (Backdraft)
    Mornin’ michellc! πŸ™‚ 🍸 (Salty dog)
    Mornin’ auscitizenmom! πŸ™‚ 🍸 (Kiss on the Lips)
    Mornin’ Margaret-Ann! πŸ™‚ 🍸 (White Russian)
    Mornin’ Auntie Lib! πŸ™‚ 🍸 (Tom and Jerry)
    Mornin’ holly100! πŸ™‚ 🍸 (Jack & Coke)
    Mornin’ Pam! πŸ™‚ (Not even water)
    Mornin’ Ms.Tee! πŸ™‚ 🍸 (Mojito)
    Mornin’ koolkosherkitchen! πŸ™‚ 🍸 🍸 (Cuba Libre)
    Mornin’ ImpeachEmAll πŸ™‚ |_| (Flaming Dr. Pepper)
    Mornin’ Monroe! πŸ™‚ |_| (Stinger)
    Mornin’ Les! πŸ™‚ |_| (Rusty Nail)
    Mornin’ shiloh1973! πŸ™‚ |_| (Jack Daniels)
    Mornin’ TexasRanger! πŸ™‚ |_| (Whiskey Smash)
    Mornin’ Ziiggii! πŸ™‚ |_| (B52)
    Mornin’ oldiadguy! πŸ™‚ |_| (Rum & Coke)
    Mornin’ smiley! (“stuck in spambucket”) πŸ™‚ 🍸 (Spanish coffee)
    Mornin’ derk! (β€œStellars”) πŸ™‚ 🍸 (Kamikaze)
    Mornin’ Jacqueline Taylor Robson πŸ™‚ 🍸 (Shirley Temple)
    Mornin’ facebkwallflower! πŸ™‚ |_| (Night Train Express)
    Mornin’ Ms. Cindy! (aka “Ms Cynlynn” aka “ms cynlynn”) πŸ™‚ 🍸 (1970 ducru beaucaillou)
    Mornin’ sandandsea2015! πŸ™‚ 🍸 (1961 ChΓ’teau Montrose)
    Mornin’ amwick! πŸ™‚ 🍸 (Blue motorcycle)
    Mornin’ hocuspocus13! πŸ™‚ 🍸 (1970 Chateau Latour)
    Mornin’ Sloth1963! πŸ™‚ 🍸 (1971 Moulin Touchais)
    Mornin’ MTeresa! (Ex-lurker) πŸ™‚ |_| (Albanian Raki Moskat)
    Mornin’ rheavolans! (aka “Rhea Salacia Volans”) πŸ™‚ |_| (Hot Buttered Rum)
    Mornin’ joshua! πŸ™‚ |_| (Mudslide)
    Mornin’ John Denney! πŸ™‚ |_| (RumChata)
    Mornin’ litenmaus! πŸ™‚ |_| (Stolichnaya elit, no ice)
    Mornin’ kinthenorthwest! πŸ™‚ 🍸 (A Lonely Island Lost in the Middle of a Foggy Sea)
    Mornin’ TwoLaine! πŸ™‚ |_| (Smoking Bishop)
    Mornin’ patternpuzzler! πŸ™‚ 🍸 (Old Lady)
    Mornin’ SenatssekretΓ€r FREISTAAT DANZIG! πŸ™‚ |_| (Red Russian)
    Mornin’ G-d&Country! πŸ™‚ 🍸 (Blind Russian)
    Mornin’ Gary! πŸ™‚ |_| (Yuengling)
    Mornin’ valeriecurren! πŸ™‚ 🍸 (Flaming Sambuca)
    Mornin’ Lucille! πŸ™‚ 🍸 (Peach Schnapps)
    Mornin’ Lburg! πŸ™‚ 🍸 (Lburg lemonade)
    Mornin’ davidhuntpe! πŸ™‚ |_| (Baileys Irish Cream on the rocks)
    Mornin’ skipper1961! πŸ™‚ |_| (Brompton’s Cocktail – No cherry, no umbrella, no plastic monkey)
    Mornin’ mightyconservative! πŸ™‚ |_| (Benjamin Franklin’s clarified milk punch)
    Mornin’ NC Nana! πŸ™‚ 🍸 (Beautiful)
    Mornin’ bjosz! πŸ™‚ |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| (Some of Menagerie’s Jack Daniels – Shhhhhh)
    Mornin’ Angelle Staria Literary Works! πŸ™‚ |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| (Some more of Menagerie’s Jack Daniels – Shhhhhh)
    Mornin’ whiners and complainers! πŸ˜› (No drink for you!)
    Mornin’ to people posting that I missed. 😳
    Mornin’ to all you lurkers! πŸ˜•

Also just in case someday; mornin’ to Elvis Chupacabra, F.D.R. in Hell and sundance! :mrgreen:

Breakfast!

NEW and IMPROVED breakfast with extra bacon for ZurichMike!

Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake Tarts

• michellc says:

Mornin’! Thanks for biscuits and gravy.

It all looks good. I’m hungry this morning!

• Morning Nyet! My intermittent fasting is going well and thankfully my hours to eat are 7 am to 3 pm, so I can enjoy your good breakfast. Thank you!

• lovely says:

Is all well Sand? Are you fasting for a specific reason?

• Sorry I didn’t see this yesterday. I’m trying to drop a few lbs. I gained a little weight during the stress of my daughter’s pregnancy and it’s been stubborn coming off. ZM had posted a couple of weeks ago that he had been doing intermittent fasting for some time and had fantastic success. Being female and not having a lot to lose, I think it’s going to be a slower process for me. Surprisingly, one of the benefits that I am experiencing is good sleep. Right before starting this, I’d had a bout of insomnia, which I am prone to from time to time, the dietary change has me sleeping so hard now from around 9 pm to 5:30 am. It’s been wonderful. I also think I’m just feeling better in general. It’s weird that I do, but I’ll take it. How are you doing?

• lovely says:

No problem Sand πŸ™‚ I was out and about anyhow πŸ™‚ !

The stress weight will be gone in no time πŸ™‚ . And what a prize for the stress !

And sleep benefits also? Maybe I’ll try it although I have been blessed with some solid hours of sleep lately.

I’m well enough. Still a bit winded from the last three months. Besides the passing of my dad and dog my cousin’s son has had his cancer return and it is a rough diagnosis.

Always busy, which is a good thing.

• I’m glad you’re staying busy! Always a good thing. I am sad to hear about your cousin’s son. I’m so sorry.

Along with the diet, I’m trying to walk an hour a day. My arms and legs are getting tan in from being outside so much. πŸ™‚ I’m using an app sort of… I’ve not paid for the full subscription yet, but it’s called BodyFast, if you want to check it out. There are some people who shouldn’t fast, like diabetics, but otherwise, it seems safe, and surprisingly, I’m rarely hungry anymore. \o/

• ZurichMike says:

I spy with my little eye plenty of tasty pork products or dishes made with pork fat. Excellent!

• Lucille says:

Good morning, Nyet! Being fresh out of eggs and bacon at my house, I’ll fill up on those at your Stellar Diner before I head out to Daskalo-Petra, Chios, Greece…

…where I’ll spend the morning taking in the sun and surf…

…and the afternoon visiting the village of Vrontados…

…before I gaze at the sunset and the windmills…

Ξ΅Ο…Ο‡Ξ±ΟΞΉΟƒΟ„ΟŽ
      EfcharistΓ³!

• lovely says:

Evening Nyet πŸ™‚ !

11. michellc says:

Why is it if you leave for three days, it takes you 4 days to catch up?

The grandbabies did have a lot of fun so it was fun for the old folks watching them. They keep asking when we’re going back. Silver Dollar City has changed a lot since I was last there. From my point of view not for the best because a lot of things I enjoyed seeing, all the craftsman demonstrations are barely existent now. All of the old buildings I enjoyed walking through and buying one of a kind handmade items aren’t there anymore. All the stores are mass produced tourist items now. For their bottom line though I guess it’s good because it attracts more people for all the rides. It was a cloudy, cool day with rain in the morning and again about the time we were leaving, so the crowds weren’t large. Now my biggest complaint is it appears SDC is buying into the plastic straws are the devil as all they have now are paper straws. Those things are disgusting and ruin the taste of anything you’re drinking. Good thing I remembered I had plastic straws in my purse, something I always keep with us when we’re racing so it’s easier for the grandbabies to drink water from water bottles.
    It was kind of strange driving by Riding with the Ducks and seeing it closed down. They are doing work on the building, so it looks like it’s going to be turned into something else. Stupidity killed a lot of people and ended a long time icon of Branson.

Came home and checked our FB farm group to see people freaking out that now FB is removing farm groups for selling animals and even some that aren’t selling animals. They remove conservatives, conservative political groups, gun groups, hunting groups, even parent groups they don’t like. Before long there won’t be anyone left on FB except SJW commies.

Hi michellc!

• A lot of folks are moving to Politichatter. I joined yesterday. It’s a FB/Twitter replacement that is pretty new. Tons of folks got booted from twitter in the last few days.

• michellc says:

FB is branching away from just political figures or conservatives. This purge of farm and animals is catching liberals in their net. I laughed at one this morning who was saying FB was discriminating against hobby farmers. I explained to her while she was applauding FB removing conservative political groups and conservatives in general, she never stopped to think when they’re coming after those they don’t like or agree with eventually you will be the person they don’t like or agree with.

I’m not one that is for regulation and I’m still not sure I’m for regulating social media, but I do understand the arguments in favor of it. The phone example is one that resonates with me, imagine a phone company not allowing you to use their service because they don’t agree or like you. I heard one politician who said FB may already be violating current laws because they have a call feature on messenger.

• I’m not on FB and I’m only on twitter for POTUS. If/when he leaves, then I will, but it ridiculous to go after farm and animal pages on FB. Makes no sense to me.

• michellc says:

Besides being able to keep in contact with some family members and friends in other states, the only reason I’m on FB is for the farm groups and our farm page. Do away with all of them and I will be telling family and friends they’re going to have keep in contact through e-mail or the old fashioned way.

They’re going to end up killing themselves anyway. They’re narrowing it down to a very small group that they agree with.

I still think we have to fight Twitter and Facebook. Let them force us off their platforms. More publicity for their blatant political activism, which will end in court or government regulation.

• Lucille says:

And WordPress is starting their purge, too…look for nothing to be safe in the not-too-distant future unless these owners are curbed re their hatred of free speech…

WordPress.com deplatforms those critical of Islam
        May 15, 2019 10:45 AM By MARC

WordPress.com has deplatormed those critical of Islam. I am very disappointed having been a contributor to the WordPress code in the distant past, and I have assisted in responsible disclosure of security vulnerabilities to them on a voluntary basis in the recent past. I did see it coming though.

• lovely says:

Thanks Sand, I’ll check it out and join πŸ™‚ !

• rheavolans says:

Sounds like fun! As for catching up, I don’t know. I went to Holland MI on the 4th to see the tulips and I’m still behind on some things. (In my defense, I came home and spent a good part of the next week being worked into the ground between my jobs.)

• michellc says:

We’re finally caught up on everything except we still got a lot of work to do on our driveway that got washed out due to all the rain. Still haven’t found an entire day to spend doing that yet and we can still get up and down it. Nobody in a car would be able to get up it right now though.

• Now this looks like my kind of vacation πŸ‘†πŸ» LOL! πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ€£

13. ZurichMike says:

Today is the last day of the “Ice Saints” time of year. May 11-15 are respectively feast days of Saints Mamertus, Pancras, Servatius, Boniface, and Sophie (the latter referred to as “cold Sophie”). It’s a sort of Farmers’ Almanac item. Typically, there is a bit of warm weather at the end of April, but then this is historically followed by a cold snap in mid-May. The feast days of the “ice saints” (Eisheiligen) are the 5 days when this cold snap generally occurs. Indeed, we have had 40 degree Fahrenheit weather, cold wind, and even some snow in the past five days. Tomorrow it returns to normal spring weather. Now the farmers’ wives will put out window flower boxes and plant their flower garden (always near the back door) where they will sell cut flowers or bouquets during the summer at the local farmers’ market.

Good night, Adios, Au Revoir, Auf Wiederseh’n

15. czarina33 says:

Today is National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day! Happy 😊 Happy 😁 !πŸͺπŸͺπŸͺ!

lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.
    Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.
    Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

A prayer for Justice Kavanaugh and Col. Flynn:

Prayer to St. Michael

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle;
    be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
    May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
    and do you, O prince of the heavenly host,
    by the power of God,
    thrust into hell Satan and the other evil spirits
    who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.